Milquetoast

Bristol Ren Faire, anyone?

Does anyone else here go to the Bristol Renaisance Faire in Wisconsin? Today was opening day, and I plan on going at least another time or two this season, and was just wondering if there were any other maillers on here who go as well.

Does anyone else here go to the Bristol Renaisance Faire in Wisconsin? Today was opening day, and I plan on going at least another time or two this season, and was just wondering if there were any other maillers on here who go as well.

I usually go with a group of friends in mid-August. We haven't even talked about it yet for this year.

I usually go late in the season, but I don't know if I'll make it out this year, as I'll be out of town for a few weeks. But yes, it would be cool to meet other local maillers. :)

Bought my tickets already for 2012!! ....preseason special... $51.00 for 4 tix (regular $80.00+/-)

I'm so sad that I shan't be going to it anymore, it was such a good faire. More than I would like down here in Florida seem to be pirate themed (and fittingly so, I suppose) and I can't seem to find any actual Medieval/Renaissance-themed within a few hours that run for more than a few weeks at most. Nothing like the permanent village that is the Bristol faire... :confused:

I go ever year in August, I already have my tickets hopefully i can finish my Dragon Chainbody (chain vest with scale pauldrons) by then.

I went two weekends ago while I was up visiting Northern IL (thankfully I narrowly avoided Steampunk weekend :lol: ). A great time, as always. This was my first time dressing up, and I forget just how many fantasy costumes there are: I got loads of compliments on my historically inspired (though not necessarily accurate) "Dark Ages" get-up. A pair of little kids who came up to me and told me I looked like a Viking, too :thumbup:

Going sometime next month, the weather being the determining factor. It has been a ridiculously hot summer here, and August can surely only be an improvement over June and July--it's been pretty much over 95 degrees every weekend so far. I read we've had more than 30 some-odd days over 90 this year already, which really sucks, considering some years it never busts 90 at all! Not sure what exactly we'll be wearing yet, but it does definitely add to the fun when you dress up.

Sadly, I cant make the drive from GA to visit, but if you go, please go see "Barely Balanced" and tell Marge, Jimmy, and Cameron I said, "Greetings!"

I was there yesterday for Steampunk weekend (my friends that I went with are more into steampunk than the renaissance) and enjoyed the Barely Balanced show. Also, as maillers, you should check out the Mithril Weaver booth - there were tons of different weaves, and it was great being able to see in person many that I'd only seen before in pictures.

Sadly, I cant make the drive from GA to visit, but if you go, please go see "Barely Balanced" and tell Marge, Jimmy, and Cameron I said, "Greetings!"

...and will they know you by your screen name? (Pronounced KAN-eh-soon-is?)

Well, today's the day we're finally gettin' around to gettin' to town. 120 mile drive from Mad-town, but it is what it is...It has finally cooled down, (now unseasonably so!), but should be a great day!--partly cloudy, high around (only!) 75, chance of isolated thunder storms, though, in the afternoon---what are ya gonna do?

Here, here!, you fine folks of Bristol...be fair-warned that the Vyking clan is on it's way! Keep a close watch o'er your maidens fair, and roll an extra keg of ale (or three!) out in celebration! Yea, verily, the ale shall flow, and much quaffing of mead shall be done!

Had a grand time at the faire, was only able to see the Barely Balanced act from a distance, and didn't stick around to mingle--had to hurry off to secure seats to view the joust.

There were at least a half-dozen venders/artisans specializing in maille--both armor and jewelry. A couple were sort of run-of-the-mill with their offerings(maybe I'm a bit jaded being I know how to do what they do), while others were more exceptional, to my mind. Joshua from The Mithril Weaver, and Lord Randolph of Chainmaille Fashions were most notable in that they both took time to talk shop with me for a good while, and had quite the inventory and particularly quality goods (not to disparage anyone else...) I love that these folks are all out there doing what they love to do, and doing what they need to make it successful. It's an inspiration to me.

Here's a few of the business cards I collected that were of particular interest to me...

post-6814-0-25996200-1345745967_thumb.jpg

Edited by madd-vyking

My health stopped me from going more than two days this year, which was rather saddening as I love the Ren Faire. Fell in love with the sound of that Sirena (I think) group, man their voices were heavenly! I went last year as well but I still had all my vision then, now, sadly, I'm the guy in all white with a white cane tapping around on that uneven ground, trying to enjoy the faire the way I did that first year. I did still find it wonderfully enjoyable though, the sounds are very, very insteresting and you get ahold of some. . .interesting scents at that faire. Myself and my two girlfriends are pretty regular Bristol Ren Faire goers when health permits, so I am already looking forward to next year since I'll be more adjusted to being legally blind at that point. If I don't audition for cast next season, which I am contemplating doing.

Edited by Blind Maille

You know, I've contemplated working there for a summer as well, but there are a few complications at this stage of my life...mostly the two hour+ commute each way, and the wife isn't thrilled with the idea of me camping over and her losing me for pretty much ten weekends straight over the summer. But it seems like it'd be a fun kinda second job, fer sure.

Only about an hour commute for us so not too bad on gas and time, also means we can gate crash once in a while and chat it up with some of the other early birds when we do. (Yes, I list my location as Chicago but I always use the nearest metro area as opposed to my exact location, call me paranoid. Bit closer than the big city though thus only an hour for us.) One of my girlfriends worked there a couple summers ago and she loved it, she wants to finish the current renquest story before going on cast again though which is likely best with current work schedules.

So I realize this post is 4 years old but I just moved to Kenosha about 5 minutes away from Bristol by crow.  If anyone nearby sees this post I'd love to meet up at some point whether its at the Renfaire or somewhere else.

Whitesmoke