Bernice Rahm

Aluminum - Bright

ab_cat.jpg

This topic is used by TheRingLord.com to give stock updates about bright aluminum - saw cut and machine cut rings and wire.

Old replies will be deleted and only the current information regarding the current batches being made will be noted here.

You can subscribe to this thread to remain in the loop.

If there are no notes we are either not out of anything or the wire has not been ordered yet.

Please feel free to ask about any product if no notes are given below.

These products can be purchased at TheRingLord.com

The twisted wire has a story.

Sometimes you order something and your supplier sends you something else.  This is a opportunity to do something exciting and new.  I ordered our regular 5356 and received some of the order as 4043 (only like 700 lbs in a 10,000 lb order.  Shipping it back would be annoying and expensive and I try very hard to work with my suppliers. 4043 is very soft and useless for standard chainmail rings.

I've thought of twisted wire before and had designed a machine (in my head at least) to automate the process - the thing is wire that is suitable for chainmail can not be twisted - twisting hardens the wire and you have to start with dead soft wire.  For example with the twisted stainless rings we make we start with dead soft wire and after its twisted is pretty hard.  If we started with 1/4 hard stainless the wire would break before twisting enough.

So a few weekends ago after getting the soft 4043 wire I thought my Saturday project would be building this machine.  I built a jig that held 2 spools of wire on a lathe.  The lathe spins at 700 RPM and the wire travels about 20 ft across a room to our spooling machine that spools up the twisted wire at a whopping 4.5 ft per minute.  

We only have a few types of wire that we can twist - we've also played with twisting square wire - it works too.

We will be adding some select wire and ring specials that are twisted over the next while. 

Enjoy

Hi,

Losthelm replied to me, but there was not a "true" answer to my question. Since it has been a week since my first post, I will also ask here. Are the any plans with square wire rings to make it where we can buy in ounces in Bright Aluminum. Similar to SXAB1614 but in square wire?

Link to the post: http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/topic/14765-square-wire/

Thank you in advance!

Is there any possibility of the 18g bright aluminum 5/32 saw cut Dark Rose, SXAA18532DkRs, going to be made again any time soon? I purchased a few bags a week ago and didn't anticipate that my customers would like the color as much as they do. If it's not going to be made again, who would I need to talk to about a special order for this color?

Is there any estimate on when AB1638 will be restocked? I'd rather not buy the bulk bag, as it's way more rings than I need.

Edited by PropForge

I don't follow - no 16G bright aluminum wire products are out of stock.  Maybe you meant 18G in 20lb spools?   Lots of 16G 20 lb spools in stock.  Lots of 18G one lb spools.  18G 20lb spools will be a few weeks.

What I am referring to is W-JSAA16silver. Where do I locate the 18 gauge wire? When I go to the "wire" link I only see 16gauge square and the 16gauge round. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

What I am referring to is W-JSAA16silver. Where do I locate the 18 gauge wire? When I go to the "wire" link I only see 16gauge square and the 16gauge round. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

You might have to custom order what you need.  I don't think they normally carry it; I just check the wire section.

I've been waiting for the AB16516 that I bought included in 2 coif kits for going on a month now and was told last week Tuesday that my entire order including those would be shipped "in the next couple of days if not sooner" and now you say it will be another 2 to 3 days?  I was told it would only be 5 calendar days and that was 3 weeks ago this Wednesday. They were said to be in the bagging process. I was okay waiting for the 5 days, but now it's weeks and why I am I being told differently in emails I send then what is posted here?