Scales - all materials and sizes

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 robholliday

robholliday

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Any chance you will be making green colored large titanium scales any time soon?  I like the color on the small scales you currently have available, but I need large ones specifically for my project. 

#22 Bernice Daniels

Bernice Daniels

The Ring Lady (Enabler)

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Large anodized TA scales are not planned to be added to the site at this time. Green is also the hardest color to get. Its possible that we can't get that color at all in these scales. I'll point out this post to Jon - if I'm wrong and he can make these for you he will reply. Otherwise assume its a no.

#23 The Ring Lord

The Ring Lord

Jon

• Administrators
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

I've done 2 large orders for anodized titanium scales and I've been sorry each time.  They seem quite difficult to anodize - particularly green.   I have found a reliable way to anodize the large scales BUT its not really cost effective.  Bottom line I'll do it but its expensive - $20/100 for anodizing (in addition to $24/100 for the scale). the scales will only have the desired color on one side (assume the outside)

The technique used is laser abalation... yep we use the laser the vaporize the outside layer then we anodize the fresh new layer.

If you want to go really fancy we can used continued laser etching and anodizing to make multi-colored titanium scales - although at a min $20/100 per color layer it will add up:)

#24 DeborahM

DeborahM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I have had great success avoiding the large titanium scales. I can get every color, including the greens. I can actually get an olive green between the blue and yellow as well (that is the color I am using for my project). It took me a while to get my anodizing setup
With tons of trial and error and experimentation with all sorts of nasty chemicals. My final procedure, thankfully, is Fred of the nastiest of the chemicals. I was thrilled when I got all the way up to the greens!

#25 The Ring Lord

The Ring Lord

Jon

• Administrators
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Deborah - might be a nice little side business for you in custom anodizing titanium scales :)

#26 DeborahM

DeborahM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

I was going to mention that but wasn't sure if that was appropriate in this forum :)

And my phone simply does not like the word "anodizing;) "avoiding"is not what I intended, lol.

#27 The Ring Lord

The Ring Lord

Jon

• Administrators
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

steel scales are at the heat treater.  Hard Large and small will be in stock in about 2 weeks.  Split rings to put them together will also be made in 2-3 weeks.

#28 calyx

calyx

one ring at a time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationDarwin, Australia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

My final procedure, thankfully, is Fred of the nastiest of the chemicals. I was thrilled when I got all the way up to the greens!

Fred? Do you mean free? Assume by nastiest you mean anything with hydrofluoric acid? 

Sounds pretty cool!

#29 robholliday

robholliday

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

I've done 2 large orders for anodized titanium scales and I've been sorry each time.  They seem quite difficult to anodize - particularly green.   I have found a reliable way to anodize the large scales BUT its not really cost effective.  Bottom line I'll do it but its expensive - $20/100 for anodizing (in addition to $24/100 for the scale). the scales will only have the desired color on one side (assume the outside)

The technique used is laser abalation... yep we use the laser the vaporize the outside layer then we anodize the fresh new layer.

?

If you want to go really fancy we can used continued laser etching and anodizing to make multi-colored titanium scales - although at a min $20/100 per color layer it will add up:)

Let me see. That price may still be in my range.  I would be looking for an order of about 700 to 800 scales.  I want to check with the person that it is for though first.  What would be the best way to set up the order if I want to move forward?

#30 The Ring Lord

The Ring Lord

Jon

• Administrators
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Rob - send me an email jd at theringlord dot com

#31 cfox248

cfox248

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hey!

Wondering about an update on large scale split rings? 

Also, has the punch been changed out for the scales? I'm looking to buy some but I returned my last order due to the excessive lip on the punch, and I've been holding out on buying any more. 

#32 The Ring Lord

The Ring Lord

Jon

• Administrators
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Large split rings should be about a week away.

For small scales with bur free holes.  Email me your tentative order and I'll go though the scales for you and confirm.  jd aatt theringlord.com

#33 DeborahM

DeborahM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Would "excessive lip" be the reason I have cut myself a few times working with them (large titanium)? I was going to mention the sharpness, especially since the 1st order of 300 didn't cut me at all.

#34 J Moldy

J Moldy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Hey there.

I'm wondering if you're going to stock large nickel plated mild steel scales anytime soon?

#35 The Ring Lord

The Ring Lord

Jon

• Administrators
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

Large nickel plate - no we have no plans to restock this item.

Large Titanium - no those are punched very cleanly.  suppose we should tumble them but its a tough call - tumbling will make the very slight (i.e. as slight as its going to get) bur go away but in the case of titanium it discolors the scales a bit.

#36 DeborahM

DeborahM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Is it normal for the scales to cut through my latex glove and skin (i was grabbing a handful out of my ultrasonic)? Just wondering if I should tumble them myself to avoid that.

#37 Aypen

Aypen

Elven Smithy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Do you have an ETA on regular small stainless steel scales? Went to buy some for an order request and to my dismay they were sold out!

#38 Redbeard

Redbeard

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Gingertrap - we're making  them right now, so I marked 100 bags in. 

#39 Aypen

Aypen

Elven Smithy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

thank you very much!

#40 cfox248

cfox248

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

I just got the restocked email for the large split rings a couple of hours ago... but I go to the page and it says they're out of stock! Did they get snapped up that fast?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users