AlchemistsFire

Minecraft anyone?

Hey guys!

I'm just curious if any of my fellow chainmailers play Minecraft! Or, even how many of you have heard of it.

My boyfriend got hooked on it earlier this year, and got me playing back in April when I finally had my new desktop computer. It's really addictive, especially in server-mode when you can spawn anything you want/need. There's even chainmail armour you can spawn! (But there's no way to craft it, so you have to "cheat")

So, anyone else play? If you do, what have you built? Feel free to show it off!

I play! I started just after alpha, which if memory serves was back in January or so. Redstone is probably my favorite aspect of the game, now that pistons are in vanilla.

I play. Currently working on an underground tunnel system which is eventually going to be many 10's of thousands of blocks long once all the tunnels are connected. Then I'll start work on my houses, mines, ect.

I think I started playing around Beta 1.3, can't remember for sure. And I started my server around Beta 1.6 (have since upgraded it to 1.7)

Zncon - My boyfriend's been having TONS of fun with the pistons. He's built a disappearning staircase and a bunch of defense system stuff.

Uuvini - Underground tunnel system sounds awesome, would love to see when you're done. What are you lighting your tunnels with?

Plutonium - Ah, sorry to hear the server host went down. Were you spawning things? I've been having fun with that on my server, but I just play alone.

Plutonium - Ah, sorry to hear the server host went down. Were you spawning things? I've been having fun with that on my server, but I just play alone.

I was using brohoster for like $3.95 a month for a few friends and myself. That company had a drama/business meltdown and it's all gone. No worries though, I had mostly taken a break from it.

I was using brohoster for like $3.95 a month for a few friends and myself. That company had a drama/business meltdown and it's all gone. No worries though, I had mostly taken a break from it.

Damn, I just hope you were able to rescue all the files...

Losing a whole world would just suck

Minecraft kinda has a quality to it that is similar to chainmaille..... you can do it for hours, love every minute of it and have something awesome to show for it =)

I started around 1.3 I think, I made a huge castle that was on a friends server but they decided to start the server over again =/ that is ok thought hehe I had not been playing much at the time, was in the middle of a break from the game for a while

I never even thought of that! But it's totally true =D

Some day I want to start on a major Minecraft project. Was thinking about building a big church or something

I hardly ever play anymore, and it kinda bugs me. Maybe it's because my boyfriend hasn't been playing, so I have no one to share with.

I play too. I started in Alpha, just after the update that added the Nether. I've been playing the same map the whole time and have been working on a sort of medievaloid world. I started out building a small fort on a little bluff/hill in the middle of a bay, then started making a settlement which developed into a village and eventually into a walled town. I just finished remodeling my original fortress into a small castle, and have a couple other villages in the works. There's a new update coming out soon that adds a lot of new stuff, so I'm pretty excited about that.

dweezle, I'd LOVE to see screenshots!

I started building an attempt at a medieval village type thing. It doesn't look very medieval anymore xD I really should build a castle... Maybe that'll be my next big MC project.

I only play solo, but I have started an underground castle. The suckiest thing so far is that I like to line all of the walls and ceiling with uniform things. Doesn't have to be the same room to room, but I always cut out an extra row all around to keep things pretty. It takes me forever to get things done. >.>

Consumer reviews in addition showed up that 37-year-old explained (the dog's more radiant) teammates that the effort owned arrive at inside their education connected with toughness for the period of run throughcheap nfl jerseys

Spam Reported

Upon returning from Hiatus. I noticed this thread, I play a lot of Minecraft. I'm the person that views as the world's best castle building game, and likes to build really big castles :)

What do you guys think of Beta 1.8 so far?

Hunger meter, experience bar, Silverfish, Endermen...

I'm not so crazy about it... I've spent too much time lost in a mine to want to have to worry about hunger. Especially considering I'm usually mining for resources, and won't have enough space to carry food as well.

About the only thing I do like is that you get to see your chests close xD

I hear there are gonna be Snow Golems in 1.9

And that they're eventually going to introduce Dragons, and potentially EnderDragons

Also heard something about Fire Elementals

Edited by sugarnspike613

Never heard of it. What typ of game is it? main goal, time era? stuff like that!

I use to play Runescape all the time! Love that game! just dont have much time in the day anymore. games feel like a waste of time kinda. wish i didnt feel like that, but i feel guilty playing online games when i should be doing something more real life constructive. =/

~Colt

bigtitann - It's really a "what you make of it" game. With the release of Beta 1.8 (and 1.9 fast approaching), it's now more of an adventure game. But, if you play on "Peaceful", it's a creativity tool.

The way I usually explain it to friends is "digital LEGO without the bumps". The 'mine' part comes from having to work for your materials (unless you play server-mode online, and get "OP" status, then you can spawn materials and items), and the 'craft' part comes from using raw materials to craft tools, blocks, signs, torches, etc.

It's 25% off while in Beta, but I hear 2.0 is due out in November, at which point it'll be full-price. But, if you buy during Beta, you get it "free" when the full-fledged game comes out.

The endermen love to take apart my leaf house, but maps come in useful (if you're not always mining). Hopefully I shall have a piston-driven draw bridge done before I get distracted with the end dimension.

Sounds awesome! I think my boyfriend's been trying to build his own portal to The End.

Endermen scare me, I refuse to play with them. I'm hiding out in 1.7.3 xD

Apparently 2.0 is supposed to be released sometime this month, so exciting!

I was unable to log into my online file manager for a while, but I was finally able to do that and upload some pics of minecraft stuff I was working on...

Here are a couple shots of my little village. I want to go back and redo the cobblestone castle walls with the new stone brick blocks. The houses are quite small, but they are mostly just storage or crafting shacks made for making and storing certain items or blocks. Some have basements and second floors for additional storage, and a few of the larger buildings have beds.

http://mailmaker.tripod.com/mc/mcvillage.jpg

http://mailmaker.tripod.com/mc/mcvillage2.jpg

The next one is "the melon mill". To get into the newly generated areas I built a 1km minecart track through the nether with a portal at each end. The portal at the far end spat me out on an island that had one tree and no livestock ever spawns there. This island was in the middle of an ocean where I could travel by boat for several days and find nothing but similar barren islands. So I started a wheat farm, which as I explored more and found other stuff to grow, eventually turned into a sort of agricultural mill full of various semi-automated machines that harvest things... mostly melons, reeds and mushrooms. anyways, here's the melon mill, sort of inspired by the look of medieval cloisters and a 19th century waterworks building:

http://mailmaker.tripod.com/mc/mellonmill1.jpg

ok so...i know about....NOTHING about minecraft. for someone with little to no exposure to the game, how would you explain it? cause the pictures i'm seeing aren't really wowing me lol. i don't get the attraction.

yeah, graphically Minecraft is far from impressive and every thing being made up of blocks gives the game sort of a clunky appearance. There are mods and higher resolution texture packs that can make it look a bit better.

As for game play, its a sandbox game, I've heard several people describe it as sort of like virtual legos. The game world is randomly generated and nearly infinate, made up of various kinds of blocks that represent dirt, stone, gravel, sand, etc.. there is a "creative mode" where you just build stuff with infinite blocks of whatever sort, and there is "survival mode" where you build stuff by picking blocks up from the landscape. Certain types of tools are needed to get some of these blocks - for example, you start out with nothing and can slowly gather up dirt, sand, and wood blocks with your hands; then you can used the wood blocks to make planks, then use some planks to make sticks - combine the sticks and planks to make wooden tools which are of the lowest quality, but you can gather dirt faster with a wood shovel than by hand, and a wooden pick axe allows you to turn stone blocks into cobblestone which can be used for crafting various other items - and some of those items are used for making other stuff or mining other materials that you need better tools to get.

In the survival mode of the game monsters come out at night and try to kill you, so a major part of the game is building someplace to stay safe at night. The randomly generated landscape has a couple different kinds of forests, hills and mountains, swamps, oceans, etc, with a huge network of caverns under all of it. There is also a hellish sort of realm called the nether which you get to by building a portal out of obsidian blocks. The nether has its own assortment of blocks and monsters.

Penny Arcade Comic 1

Penny Arcade Comic 2

Warning: Swearing.

(Youtube link)

Two notes: That was over a year ago, but it will give you a general idea. Two, it was a great trailer very much worth the 2 minutes to watch.

The Minecraft Experiment Is a multipart series over at PCGamer. The author takes you through some experiences one day at a time. He had a rule. If he died, he deleted his world and started over. Notch (the creator of Minecraft) has since added a special difficulty rating called "hardcore" that does exactly that.

k i gave it a shot in survival mode. I think i like it..but i have two dilemmas. one: my laptop blows. it's a little ancient so it gets choppy even on the lightest graphic settings. two: i have no mouse. seriously, I don't know where it went. my son steals everything and the fucking mouse is MIA and i actually just got rid of my other one. so trying to play it on a touchpad blows.

two things: get new laptop, get mouse lol

Yah that is one problem with this game, because it's written in Java, and on such a large scale, it's a serious resource hog. It's an amazing concept, just not very well implemented for such a large scale release. Although considering it's from a start-up it IS a great accomplishment. As for playing with a touchpad... I've done it. Was out of town and didn't want to travel with my nice gaming mouse. I lasted all of 20min before I gave up, ran out and bought a cheapo $10 usb mouse.