mrderanged

Other Hobbies/Interests

Hey All,

New here and waiting on receiving my first order and figured I'd spend some time trying to get to know whomever bothers to reply ;)

Personally, I'm into Tarantulas and other "creepy crawlies". Just finished feeding about 70 of them. I also own & run the largest website dedicated to them.

What else is everyone into?

Regards,

MrD

My major hobby (for about the past 5 years) is studying the circus arts. I'm currently taking classes in acrobatics, German wheel, and straps, though I've also studied juggling, stilting, unicycling, trapeze (both flying and static), silks, Spanish web, pole, tightrope, teeterboard, and few others as well.

My secondary hobby is homebrewing -- I brew probably 4 or 5 times a year, extract with specialty grains. Circus helps me keep the beer gut in check.

Other hobbies are mostly studying and sometimes playing with computer graphics, programming, robotics. I also like to cook and play videogames (mostly xBox 360 platformers). There's really not enough time in the day to do everything I'd like.

I'm currently a student, working on a BA in General Studies. Very strongly considering switching to another post-secondary institude to get my CST. While working on my BA I've taken several anthropology courses, psychology, marketing, astronomy, and photography. I'm currently taking an anthropology course entitled "Religion, Magic and Witchcraft", an English course that's discussing and analyzing literature related to the supernatural (i.e. Lovecraft, Poe, Stoker, etc.), and a psychology course that's dicussing the areas and applications of psychology.

My hobbies include chainmail, avatar forum communities (Ernya, Celainia, Gaia), macro photography, and listening to music. I'll probably think of more later ><'

I live and die for theatre...

In the real world, I'm the Assistant Technical Director for a professional theatre... Not the kind with movies, the kind with a stage, actors, and the whole shebang.

Also, I'm a massive Video Gamer... ESPECIALLY if it's a darker themed game. Console preferred.

Sword-swinging, reading, writing and drawing, thanks to a childhood wasted on comics, books and dungeons and dragons. (I should post one of my old drawings from my Larry Elmore phase online somewhere just for giggles.) Also occasional computer gaming and other assorted geekyness. Just rebuilt said computer Saturday...

I just got into rock tumbling and lapidary over the summer. Have always been into rock; buying tumbled rocks in gift shops/tourist shops. Wire wrapped a few things too.

MUSIC..... is my life I think. my Mom recently turned off the TV signals to my room cus she's crazy. and past 2 days has been nother but music coming from the subs!

I guess Photography too!

~Colt

I'm a big carpentry buff. I'm never happier than when my hands are coated in sawdust and still feel like they're vibrating from a sander.

I've also started homebrewing, my first batch of wine turned out awesome (liebfraumilch) and i'm hoping to crank out a red and maybe a pilsner in the near future. hopefully ready for xmas.

fishing and hunting to some extent but with the addition of children to my life, i've found i have precious little time for either. and paintball. It's odd to say that I derive pleasure from being peppered with paintballs from 20 yards, but I feel so alive when i'm scrambling from A to B.

I live and die for theatre...

In the real world, I'm the Assistant Technical Director for a professional theatre... Not the kind with movies, the kind with a stage, actors, and the whole shebang.

I am also an assistant technical director. We have a stage, actors, belly dancers and horses lol. I work in a dinner theatre so we also serve dinner lmao. My main passision is lighting but I can do it all.

But when I'm not working or mailleing I'm working on my car. 92 prelude :)... as well as playing video games.

Let see, I love rockhounding (although there aren't near enough places to do so in Michigan); reading; music (currently play three instruments and plan on learning more); collecting strange alphabets (yes, I know, I'm wierd; they don't even have to be "real" alphabets; I have a large number of ones from various Star Trek languages); catching snakes (I love reptiles :) ); experimental digital photography; sculpture; photographing spiders (blame my brother; he keeps tarantulas); and just about anything else that qualifies as art (painting, drawing, ......)

Personally, I'm into Tarantulas and other "creepy crawlies". Just finished feeding about 70 of them. I also own & run the largest website dedicated to them.

Regards,

MrD

Do you frequent Arachnoboards at all? My brother's a frequent poster and long-time member there, username of Venom.

Edited by Narrina

Do you frequent Arachnoboards at all? My brother's a frequent poster and long-time member there, username of Venom.

Hahahahahaha. :D

I'm the owner. Tell Venom that MrDeranged says hi :)

What a small world :)

Regards

Hahahahahaha. :D

I'm the owner. Tell Venom that MrDeranged says hi :)

What a small world :)

Regards

Lol!! I knew your username looked familiar! I'll tell him :).

Well besides maille my other hobbies are RPG's, woodworking, playing disc golf, working on cars, and working on computers. I also like to spend time with my new daughter.

Beside's doing maille, I love to do some rock climbing. And being into archery lately. Also i like to do some stuff on my car (more necessity than hobby but still fun). Did some scuba, did some mountainbiking. But it seems that i always return to chainmail...

My hobbies are woodworking(which is actually what got me to TRL because I'm using rings to assemble wooden jewlery), I also love to bake, reading non-fiction books (mostly how-to type things), and I also like to volunteer. I've ever actually made maille although I do find it fascinating

Edited by Sobe_firebat

I have so much I like to do and so little time to do it. I play 3 different instruments, knit, crochet, paint, cross-stitch. I basically just feel the need to create. I'm also my families computer fixer and stereo system setter upper :). Fairly new to chainmaille but I think it is my favorite thing to do now! Oh - I forgot reading! I read lots of "take-me-away" fiction. The more non-real-life the better.

For me I am sort of a jack of all trades.

I am in the same boat as Daemon Lotos with the theatre thing. And am also a Assistant Theatre Manager for a school district.

In my other spare time (when I find it) I am an machinist and a custom furniture builder.

I just got into maille a few months ago and am currently working on a Japanese 6-1 full-length vest. Yes, I'm insane.

Every November I write a novel for National Novel Writing Month (www.nanowrimo.org). This will be year seven. I also took part in the 3-day Novel Contest two years ago. This November I will write the sequel to that one. Nothing is published yet.

I also read a lot (fiction and non) and take a lot of online classes (currently Medical Transcription Certificate, previously Creative Writing Certificate). Previous hobbies have included knitting, crochet, cross stitch, needlepoint, rug hooking, painting, sewing, designing clothing, and pottery. There are probably a few that I've missed.

Hubby and I also run an electronics recycling company and share our apartment with an 8-year-old quaker parakeet named Brimley. That's a picture of a bird like him in my profile. I haven't managed to get a really nice picture of him yet. (I'm a terrible photographer.)

I like cooking, sewing, crocheting, reading, writing (Though I rarely finish anything), wire work, hiking and rock hunting. That is my condensed list anyways. For the most part I like to do anything where I "create" something. I guess the end product makes me feel like I've done something, even if it's nothing notable. I am an avid fan of torcs too. I've made a few, but I'm trying to do more traditional style ones now. So far I've had no luck. I think it would be easier if I could weld, but I live in a small apartment so I don't suppose I should be playing with torches just yet.

I do crafts of many sorts with many different mediums. Light metalworking, woodworking, leatherworking, shoemaking (classical and medieval - I'm a professional leatherworker/cobbler/shoemaker, but can't help but work with it in my spare time as well), sewing/tailoring, homebrewing (mead), of course mailling, and many more. I always have a need to create and can't sit still even when I'm under-the-weather. In addition to working full time as a cobbler I'm trying to kick-off with my own little business and become my own master, and have found paperwork/accounting to be a strangely relaxing venture. Reading is important to me but I mostly stick to skill-related literature. I run a fresh chapter of a fencing/sword-club, and train with sword-and-buckler, longsword and the montante (and whatever else I can get my hands on). In addition to running around with swords I also do a bit of backyard farming with permacultural principles - I sow, grow and harvest some of my own food and seeds, and love to dabble in the lore that is mother nature herself. Some time ago I was into archery, but it dabbled off. I do occasional computer gaming, but only when I can share the experience with someone else. Food and in particular baking is fun, and I see the clear difference between "eating food" and "sharing a meal" - one of the best things in life is a good meal with the best of people. I want to learn to make a good nice cake. Also picked up on traditional conservation and have a big pot of sauerkraut sitting to mature. There are so many fine things in life that everything can't possibly be mentioned, but suffice to say I try and lead as good a life as possible. What use is skills if you're not helping?

I do crafts of many sorts with many different mediums. Light metalworking, woodworking, leatherworking, shoemaking (classical and medieval - I'm a professional leatherworker/cobbler/shoemaker, but can't help but work with it in my spare time as well), sewing/tailoring, homebrewing (mead), of course mailling, and many more. I always have a need to create and can't sit still even when I'm under-the-weather. In addition to working full time as a cobbler I'm trying to kick-off with my own little business and become my own master, and have found paperwork/accounting to be a strangely relaxing venture. Reading is important to me but I mostly stick to skill-related literature. I run a fresh chapter of a fencing/sword-club, and train with sword-and-buckler, longsword and the montante (and whatever else I can get my hands on). In addition to running around with swords I also do a bit of backyard farming with permacultural principles - I sow, grow and harvest some of my own food and seeds, and love to dabble in the lore that is mother nature herself. Some time ago I was into archery, but it dabbled off. I do occasional computer gaming, but only when I can share the experience with someone else. Food and in particular baking is fun, and I see the clear difference between "eating food" and "sharing a meal" - one of the best things in life is a good meal with the best of people. I want to learn to make a good nice cake. Also picked up on traditional conservation and have a big pot of sauerkraut sitting to mature. There are so many fine things in life that everything can't possibly be mentioned, but suffice to say I try and lead as good a life as possible. What use is skills if you're not helping?

Belros, the keys to making a great cake are 1. find a recipe that works(preferably one with ingredients by weight not volume) 2. Don't over mix and 3. practice

Hope this helps with your baking.

Too many hobbies, too little time. I like to make things out of metal... maille stuff, armour (historical and some fantasy), jewelry, sculptures. I do other artsy stuff like painting and some traditional printmaking (as an art student I focused on printmaking, mostly engraving and etching but don't yet have a printing press in my studios so I don't do as much of that as I want to). Swords... I like swords, and learning how to use them. I do SCA stuff and have made my own plate armour and several sets of clothing based on 16th century German stuff. A while back I became interested in mountain climbing using gear that was used in the Alps in the 1500's, so I've been working on a complete 16th century mountaineering/chamois hunter's kit. I also do a lot of hiking (sort of goes along with the climbing thing) and exploring interesting places I find, sea kayaking, and random road trips. I've been known to dabble with stained-glass and am setting up my own workshop for that. I enjoy shooting medieval style crossbows and have been thinking a lot lately about getting into blackpowder guns. I also spend a fair bit of time playing PC and xbox games (mostly minecraft, some elder scrolls, the ultima series, and GTA4) and building my lego castle/village. I don't have time to divide between hobbies so I tend to stick with one or two things for a couple weeks or months then move on to something else for a while... I sort of cycle through them. Lately I've been all about the legos, minecraft, and painting; but of late have been getting bored with MC, don't want to spend more money on legos, and will be taking a break from painting once I finish up the two panels I'm working on - and I've started thinking about going back to work on some maille-ish fantasy sort of armour, and will probably go back to working on the mountaineering kit so I can have it done in time to play around with this spring. One of the maille-ish pieces I'm going back to work on is something I haven't really touched since around 2003, so that will be exciting to have off the unfinished project shelf.