7 replies to this topic

#1 Melinda

Melinda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

I recently made a sprial chain braclet for the first time this morning I think it come out good, I used 20g 3/8" green Aluminum rings.

I was wodering if there is a way that I can use bigger rings if that would help the weave keep it shape better. Is there any ring size that works best with this type of weave...if some can help me out with this it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_6634.JPG

Edited by Melinda, 20 September 2011 - 10:58 AM.

Check out my Facebook group at: Girl's Gotta Have It Jewelry

#2 losthelm

losthelm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

Spiral usualy will unwrap it self more with larger AR rings.
Usualy people sugest a variant of spiral such as dubble spiral or inverted spiral its a lot more stable to necklaces or bracelets though its a bit larger.

Edited by losthelm, 20 September 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Borealis Metal Works

Borealis Metal Works

The Ring Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

You don't need to change the size to make it hold its shape. All you do with spiral is twist it before clasping it and it will hold the helix shape perfectly.
Frodo never had enough rings.
http://borealismetal...deviantart.com/
Posted Image

#4 Milquetoast

Milquetoast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationDa UP, eh?

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Yup, as long as the ends are anchored (attached to something, like each other) it should stay spiraled

#5 Melinda

Melinda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

thank you so much for your help :) I will try the Double spiral and the inverted spiral weave to see which one I like better. The inverted spiral looks confusing but I think I can figure it out.

Edited by Melinda, 20 September 2011 - 12:06 PM.

Check out my Facebook group at: Girl's Gotta Have It Jewelry

#6 Bane

Bane

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

You could also make it a continuous chain. No need to twist it before clasping. Make sure a necklace is large enough to slip over the head, but for a bracelet I would lean more toward a custom sizing to make sure it barely fits over the customer's hand. I would also use either a very strong metal or keep to the smaller end of the AR for this just so it can withstand the strain of being put on. You don't want it so loose that it falls off when you move your hand, but not so tight that you can't get it on/off. Then again, the only spiral weave I make is JPL. No need to twist anything there... :)
There are very few personal problems which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.
The first thing that goes through the mind of a dragonfly when it hits a windshield is the windshield. The last thing to go through the mind of the same dragonfly when it hits said windshield is it's ass. I bet it doesn't have the guts to do it again.

#7 BaruMonkey

BaruMonkey

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

I'm curious about this one:

http://www.mailleart...pic.php?t=16611

To repeat the question I just posted there... is that a basic spiral weave that's been "locked" in place by just adding more rings? Or am I missing something?

#8 Borealis Metal Works

Borealis Metal Works

The Ring Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

I'm curious about this one:

http://www.mailleart...pic.php?t=16611

To repeat the question I just posted there... is that a basic spiral weave that's been "locked" in place by just adding more rings? Or am I missing something?

Sort of. It is spiral weave with an extra row of fringe rings that cause the weave to hang in a spiral fashion but it wouldn't sit as evenly as a bracelet. It would look more like a strand of shaggy loops.
A properly locked regular strand of spiral would show off the feature better.
Frodo never had enough rings.
http://borealismetal...deviantart.com/
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users