6 replies to this topic

#1 Pipamonium

Pipamonium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hello - I want to make a wallet/purse and could use some advice. Like what type of rings should I use, what kind of weaves... pretty much everything.

I'm an ambitious girl - I started weaving only about 5 days ago and have already made a half dozen scale flowers, a couple Celtic star pendants, and a handful of the holiday ornaments from the instructions on TRL. I'm now working on a scale candle! I thought I might like doing this but I didn't realize how much I would love it! I'm making most of the above for Christmas presents and started so early because I thought it would take me a lot longer than this to complete and wanted to be done by Christmas. Yeah - at this rate I'll be done before the next week is out.

That in mind I don't think I could do anything too advanced but I'm not against a nice challenge!

I'd like to make something large enough to fit my cards, ID, and maybe some cash that would lay flat. I'm thinking roughly two and a half by three and a half inches? Would that be large enough? I don't want people to be able to look at the bag and see what I have inside too easily so the weave should be fairly tight - or small rings? - at the same time I'd like it to be malleable so would a looser weave and the use of the small scales be a better choice? As for closing I'm thinking a fold over flap...

Lastly - the strap! I'd like a long shoulder strap so what weave would you all recommend for that?

--

Edit: accidentally hit post too soon!

Edited by Pipamonium, 05 October 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#2 Euar

Euar

Big Wheel

• Moderators
  • 445 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

5 days .. very cool ...
thinking e4-1 with a purse frame http://www.etsy.com/...-silver-sewing like that search purse frames and you shouldnt have a problem finding one you like..
Now if you REALLY want a challenge, this is one I plan to make one day ..
http://euar.devianta...-1920-261889787
Haven't quite gotten the neck part correct just yet

#3 Pipamonium

Pipamonium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

Oooh! A purse frame is a nice idea. Thank you. I was thinking the 4-1 would be a good one too but I wasn't sure.

That other link is really fascinating looking. I can easily see how the neck would be difficult!

#4 Movak

Movak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

For the strap I would suggest European 4 in 1 on the bias. It is wide and flat so it will not dig in as much as a round weave and the edges are much nicer than straight 4 in 1.

Movak

#5 Pipamonium

Pipamonium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

Thank you Movak. I think I could handle that!

#6 Peach

Peach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

Well, I recently made/am making a wristlet wallet and I made a basic tutorial for a friend of mine. http://miscellaneous...t.com/#/d49ask3 It gives some things to think about if you're using tight rings like I did. I used 20g 3/32 stainless. Not necessary, but it looks good and it's plenty tight. My actual wallet came out to over 4k rings and I'm still fiddling with the flap piece.
As for the size, just make it a bit bigger than your cards. I used my ID for sizing, added about 4 rows all around and called that good. It holds around 7 cards with a bit of wiggle room, though if you use bigger rings that'll be different.
You can do e4 on the bias, edge regular e-4 in another weave (I personally like my e4 tight and edged with JPL, but it's probably easier to do half Persian 3-1 if you're going that route) or really any of the European x-in-x weaves with some sort of edging to keep things clean. This is less of a problem if you use a tighter weave. You might also consider a cloth/leather/non-maille strap.
Now, flaps are, well, flappy. If you go this route, you'll probably want some sort of clasping mechanism. This is the part that I'm still working on, but hooks, zippers, assorted jewelry clasps, there are lots of things you can do, just stay away from magnets. This isn't a problem if you use a purse frame.
Now, I'm not sure if you're planning on using scales or just chain for the bag, but in any case you might also consider lining your bag. If you use bigger rings then a lining will keep the contents of your purse from being viewable. Linings don't take much skill to sew and one this small should be fairly easy to sew by hand if you're not handy with a sewing machine.
Other than that, all I can say is experiment. Look at other bags for ideas on how to do things, but don't limit yourself to what's already been done. Bags are fun to make, but can be a bit of a challenge, depending on the rings you use and how complex you make them. They can be as difficult or as easy as you want. If it's too easy you can use smaller rings or different weaves. Change to bigger rings if it's too hard, or change the weaves you're using. As long as you're happy with your finished product it's a success. Good luck and I know that I'd like to see finished photos of your bag.

(Also, my thread about my wallet. http://www.theringlo...acking-closure/ if that helps at all.)

#7 Pipamonium

Pipamonium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

Thank you! That was very helpful.

I've ordered a bunch of aluminium rings in a couple of sizes to experiment a little and see what weave will work best for me before I actually get started.

I will definitely have to post picks of my progress to show off and see what you all think I'm doing right/wrong!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wallet, purse, help, over the shoulder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users