Hey guys,

I'm about to embark on a little earring-making project. I'm basing my desing on something Waluy posted a few months back, a pair of earrings that were a 5-box length of boxchain with some hearts pendants hanging off the end. I want to do something similar, but with AA and guitar picks.

What I'm trying to find out is what colour combinations (both colours of AA and guitar picks) you guys think would sell. Part of the reason is I'm still trying to decide what colours of guitar picks to order.

I'm thinking:

- black & red boxchain with black or red picks

- black & purple boxchain with black or purple picks

- black & pink boxchain with black or pink picks

- black & orange boxchain with black or orange picks

- black boxchain with black picks

- red boxchain with red or blackpicks

- pink boxchain with pink picks

- purple boxchain with purple or black picks

Do you think black/yellow, black/green or black/blue would be worth making just to see how they look/how they sell?

I have gold and bronze rings too, would those be worth making? And with what colour picks?

Is this a good first start, or would something else be better?

Any suggestions/opinions are welcome ^^

Edited by sugarnspike613

IMO, Any combo with Black looks good. And any combo with silver (BA) also looks good!

You said you are going to make the earrings with 5 boxchain units. May I ask what ring size your going to use? Just curious! haha

The only 2 colors that I personally don't think go togrther well, is Blue and Red.

Hope this helps!

~Colt

Well, I think that any black/whatever combo will work since black can be paired with anything. I'd also do white paired with pretty much anything, since white is another neutral color. I'm sure that most solid color pairs would go as well. You could try doing popular colors for your area as well. (Sports teams during different sport seasons, flag colors for memorial day/veteran's day/the 4th, red and green for Christmas, etc.) The most important thing is to think about who you're selling to. If you're selling to a more preppy chick she might prefer pink with white while a punk girl might lean more towards pink and black.

Gold and bronze would work with any neutral color (Black/white/grey) but to really be able to make suggestions for pick colors I'd need to see where you're ordering the picks from so I can see the colors. I really think the best way to go would be to get a mix of colors then lay out ring/pick combos and see what works. Good luck.

I would second that black with just about anything or BA with just about anything looks good. I would make the picks the same color as the alternate color not the black or silver. Typically from what I have seen is people go with the dual colors so that they can tie in some color to a black wardrobe, and the color on the pick would add just a little bit more of that splash. Not sure what size you are looking at for rings but I would like to caution that a lot of people won't even pick up my heart pendants because they look heavy. So I would suggest possibly a finer gauge than 18g 1/4". If you do go with 18g you may have to make sure you have some that customers could actually try on and feel the weight of. I keep a pair of hooks in rubbing alcohol to put on my display pieces when I convince people not to judge the weight just by looks.

bigtitan - I'll be using 16g 1/4". Unfortunately, I don't have any BA; just a whole bunch of colours of AA. And I may trade that 5 units for 3 units...all I know is it'll be an odd number

Peach - I don't have any white rings, unfortunately, not even silver in the right size. Also won't be worrying about anything "local" as I'm not selling locally. The picks I'm looking at are from this Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/tigerrr77 (just search "guitar picks")

Waluy - Wish I had silver in the right size, darn. Also wish I could find silver picks, hmm... I'll keep in mind using the alternate colour, though, thanks. I'm using TRL's 16g 1/4" AA. Now I wish I'd ordered 18g, because I realized too late that my steel rings are 16AWG, not SWG *facepalm* Having a pair for customers to try on and having the rubbing alcohol is a great idea, but I won't have a physical selling space. The guitar picks are 0.071 mm thick

I honestly suggest finding another project for those rings. If I were to make the earrings I'd use 20g. You could probably get away with 1-2 bags of mixed AA to start with.

The purple would lend it's self to black or white chains. I don't really know that they'd go well with other colors though. The shades of the picks are a little strange.

In fact, for the most part, these look like they'd go better with darker chains. The colors don't really match the AA that well. I can't say that I'd using the same color in the chain as the pick. I know you would be able to find more/better colors if you looked. I'd suggest doing that. Even if you have to pick up colored paper or paint and make resin picks, I think they'd look better than the picks you linked.

Also, you should never ignore the local factor. It may not happen all the time, but it's quite possible for someone you know to become interested in your work. It could be "Can you make a pair of earrings? It's X's birthday. They love the X-team." or something lame like that. It happens. Plus, red/white/blue is going to be popular with anyone American around the 4th. Holidays are important too.

(Also, this is what I've found that I think would look better with the AA colors.

http://www.jaxmusicsupply.com/200-Bulk-Assorted-Guitar-Picks-351-Style-p/PICKS200.htm Different colors and textures.

http://www.opentip.com/Musical-Instruments/Pick-By-The-Pound-Hppdx-Pick-By-The-Pound-Deluxe-Pound-Professional-Pick-Assortment-p-2279466.html Again, colors and textures are nice.)

I mean, sure, cost is an issue, but you're using the picks as a "pendant" of sorts. This will be the focal point and it will have to be enough to draw someone in and convince them that they want to give you money for these earrings.

And really, if you were to go the resin route you could offer personalized picks. A name embedded in the pick or something sappy like that.

Long story short, you'll probably really only make those picks look good with black AA and you really don't want to use those rings.

If you are planning to sell exclusively online I would probably suggest getting a scale to weigh the earrings and list the weight. My online sales list the weight of the product and the weight of something comparable that most people will have laying around i.e. a penny or something like that.

And like Peach said don't count out the local sales I have had several people see me working on product on my lunch break and buy things from me. One girl who saw me working has since bought close to 200 dollars worth of earrings.

Edited by Waluy

I'll ,....third? the local sales. any time I have to wait anywhere( getting an oil change, Dr's office, etc) I bring rings and pliers, and wear some maille, bracelet and necklace usually. also, following advice I read here, I make stuff and have my sister and niece wear them around, I've sold a BUNCH to their friends, word of mouth advertising is great!

Peach kinda nailed it i think. Online sales are not as easy as just "put some stuff up and it sells" People have to know what you are selling, where you are selling and acutally want to buy it first.

I use a lot of 18guage for alumnium earrings and almost all my earrings are a color with BA. i've done color combos in the past...when I was less organized in my production methods... and the thing i discovered is it doesn't really matter what you make, someone will love it.

do you have a price point in mind?

.. and the thing i discovered is it doesn't really matter what you make, someone will love it.

I will agree with this to a point. I have made color combos as well as non-combo and while most of them have eventually sold the combo ones take a bit longer to find that "perfect someone" who will love them. Now I only mix two colors (besides a color with like black or silver) when someone puts in a custom commission for it. But that is just my experience YMMV.

I honestly suggest finding another project for those rings. If I were to make the earrings I'd use 20g. You could probably get away with 1-2 bags of mixed AA to start with.

The purple would lend it's self to black or white chains. I don't really know that they'd go well with other colors though. The shades of the picks are a little strange.

In fact, for the most part, these look like they'd go better with darker chains. The colors don't really match the AA that well. I can't say that I'd using the same color in the chain as the pick. I know you would be able to find more/better colors if you looked. I'd suggest doing that. Even if you have to pick up colored paper or paint and make resin picks, I think they'd look better than the picks you linked.

Also, you should never ignore the local factor. It may not happen all the time, but it's quite possible for someone you know to become interested in your work. It could be "Can you make a pair of earrings? It's X's birthday. They love the X-team." or something lame like that. It happens. Plus, red/white/blue is going to be popular with anyone American around the 4th. Holidays are important too.

(Also, this is what I've found that I think would look better with the AA colors.

http://www.jaxmusics...-p/PICKS200.htm Different colors and textures.

http://www.opentip.c...-p-2279466.html Again, colors and textures are nice.)

I mean, sure, cost is an issue, but you're using the picks as a "pendant" of sorts. This will be the focal point and it will have to be enough to draw someone in and convince them that they want to give you money for these earrings.

And really, if you were to go the resin route you could offer personalized picks. A name embedded in the pick or something sappy like that.

Long story short, you'll probably really only make those picks look good with black AA and you really don't want to use those rings.

I made a little section of boxchain with them, it doesn't look half-bad. I just need something to hang off the end to get it to hold it's shape. The colours of the picks don't look that strange to me, but then again, everbody's computer monitor is a little different.

Picking up coloured paper, paint, resin etc would make this a little more involved than I'd like. One, I don't know how to work with resin, and two, I don't have the time to learn. I also don't have a lot of extra money to throw around learning how.

I'm not ignoring the local factor, I'm just saying it's not an option for me right now. I don't have time to search out craft shows, I'm a full-time student and I'm working. I also never said I was going to ignore the holidays.

I agree, the textured ones would probably look better. I just figured I'd start off with something a little more basic and see how it goes. The solid colour ones, especially the first link you posted, don't look any different to me.

Edited by sugarnspike613

If you are planning to sell exclusively online I would probably suggest getting a scale to weigh the earrings and list the weight. My online sales list the weight of the product and the weight of something comparable that most people will have laying around i.e. a penny or something like that.

And like Peach said don't count out the local sales I have had several people see me working on product on my lunch break and buy things from me. One girl who saw me working has since bought close to 200 dollars worth of earrings.

I think I've got a kitchen scale that will work. The idea of listing something comparable in weight is a superb idea!

I never said I was going to completely ignore the local market, it's just not viable right now. I don't work a job where I have time to weave during my lunch break (most days I'm lucky I have time enough to eat X_X), and I can't really afford to lose the time between my classes weaving. It's coming down to crunch time, so those few hours have to be used for research and writing papers. If I lived on campus it would probably be a different story, but there are no dorms where I go xD

Thanks, though ^^

Edited by sugarnspike613

you know if you hit up a local music store, you could probably get better pricing on the picks. and more variety in colors

I have looked (mind you, only at the tiny local one, and not at the big one downtown) The few plain picks they did have had "made in china" or something molded right into the pick. I'm not going to give up looking, though.

The better pricing I'm not so sure of. I think they were 45c each at the local store, and online I've been finding them for 50c...but have been told about discounts for buying a larger volume.

Peach kinda nailed it i think. Online sales are not as easy as just "put some stuff up and it sells" People have to know what you are selling, where you are selling and acutally want to buy it first.

I use a lot of 18guage for alumnium earrings and almost all my earrings are a color with BA. i've done color combos in the past...when I was less organized in my production methods... and the thing i discovered is it doesn't really matter what you make, someone will love it.

do you have a price point in mind?

I wasn't expecting "put some stuff up and it sells". But having something is better than siting there with an empty shop, right? At least then there's a potential for a sale, right? Really, these will be the first things I've ever produced for sale. They were just a quick & easy idea for something to get my foot in the door.

I've looked at a couple of different articles about setting prices. I've come up with something like cost of materials (including shipping) + (hours x how much my time is worth), plus Etsy/PayPal fees, or something.

I made a little section of boxchain with them, it doesn't look half-bad. I just need something to hang off the end to get it to hold it's shape. The colours of the picks don't look that strange to me, but then again, everbody's computer monitor is a little different.

Picking up coloured paper, paint, resin etc would make this a little more involved than I'd like. One, I don't know how to work with resin, and two, I don't have the time to learn. I also don't have a lot of extra money to throw around learning how.

I'm not ignoring the local factor, I'm just saying it's not an option for me right now. I don't have time to search out craft shows, I'm a full-time student and I'm working. I also never said I was going to ignore the holidays.

I agree, the textured ones would probably look better. I just figured I'd start off with something a little more basic and see how it goes. The solid colour ones, especially the first link you posted, don't look any different to me.

Just keep the chain smaller or people will assume from the size of the metal that it will be weighty and painful. In general, using 16g wire in a weave that emphasizes the size of the rings makes it look bigger. That's why I typically stick with 20g+ for earrings. On my screen, your link for the picks has kind of ugly, off colors. The pink (On my screen) appears to be an odd hot pink while TRL's pink is more of a softer pink. Since the AA and the pick won't match I don't suggest putting the same color pick/rings together. And On my screen, the other solid colors look to be a different shade.

Resin is just mix and pour. As long as you have a mold (I've seen pick shaped molds all over, or you could take flour, water and paper to make a papermache (I'm admitting now, I have no idea how to spell that) mold of an existing pick) it's really easy. You could even put rings, small patches of maille, small charms or whatever in them. I'll admit, I don't know how pricey resin is right now, but none of the kits I've seen in the past have been too terribly bad. Perhaps more involved, but they'd give your product something more interesting. I'd suggest at least considering the idea for a later time.

Local sales aren't just craft shows. Local sales come from co-workers (I made more selling pony tail holders with scale flowers on them at work one day than I did in a whole pay check.) teachers, friends, family. Strangers who think what you do is neat. I remember one time I saw a guy wire wrapping stones. He bought the necklace I was wearing and I bought some of his stones. Just putting yourself out there will boost local sales, especially if you have something sports-related. (Or maybe that's just small towns, but I'd assume everywhere has sports fanatics.) That's what I mean when I say local sales.

I think I've got a kitchen scale that will work. The idea of listing something comparable in weight is a superb idea!

I never said I was going to completely ignore the local market, it's just not viable right now. I don't work a job where I have time to weave during my lunch break (most days I'm lucky I have time enough to eat X_X), and I can't really afford to lose the time between my classes weaving. It's coming down to crunch time, so those few hours have to be used for research and writing papers. If I lived on campus it would probably be a different story, but there are no dorms where I go xD

Thanks, though ^^

Yeah I understand the time crunch issue. Another possible way to drum up sales is to try and weave in public places as often as you can when you do have time to weave.

Just keep the chain smaller or people will assume from the size of the metal that it will be weighty and painful. In general, using 16g wire in a weave that emphasizes the size of the rings makes it look bigger. That's why I typically stick with 20g+ for earrings. On my screen, your link for the picks has kind of ugly, off colors. The pink (On my screen) appears to be an odd hot pink while TRL's pink is more of a softer pink. Since the AA and the pick won't match I don't suggest putting the same color pick/rings together. And On my screen, the other solid colors look to be a different shade.

These rings don't look that big, though. I can understand how they'd look bigger than 18g or 20g rings when you've worked with them for a long time. I remember going back to my 1/4" and 5/16" rings after working with 18g 3/16" rings, and they looked huge...but that was ID difference, not gauge difference. In my opinion, the 16g rings don't look big or heavy at all.

And thanks for calling the picks I picked "ugly", you're doing loads for my self-confidence here. I happen to have two totally different shades of "pink" AA rings from TRL. One of them is a little softer, and one is more like a hot pink. Also, I never said I was necessarily going to buy the pink picks from that person, it was an idea. They were just the first I found that had what I was looking for.

Resin is just mix and pour. As long as you have a mold (I've seen pick shaped molds all over, or you could take flour, water and paper to make a papermache (I'm admitting now, I have no idea how to spell that) mold of an existing pick) it's really easy. You could even put rings, small patches of maille, small charms or whatever in them. I'll admit, I don't know how pricey resin is right now, but none of the kits I've seen in the past have been too terribly bad. Perhaps more involved, but they'd give your product something more interesting. I'd suggest at least considering the idea for a later time.

The smallest resin kit, in the US, would run me $14.99. In Canada, it's probably double that. So, like 3-4 hours wages. I can't even find a guitar pick mold online. The only one I did find was an injection mold, and it was $79.99. Then there's the time to cure. Provided I've mixed everything correctly, it'll take about 10 hours to cure. I don't have that kind of time and money. Plus, factoring in all those material costs, it'd mean like $50 a pair instead of like $10... or something.
Local sales aren't just craft shows. Local sales come from co-workers (I made more selling pony tail holders with scale flowers on them at work one day than I did in a whole pay check.) teachers, friends, family. Strangers who think what you do is neat. I remember one time I saw a guy wire wrapping stones. He bought the necklace I was wearing and I bought some of his stones. Just putting yourself out there will boost local sales, especially if you have something sports-related. (Or maybe that's just small towns, but I'd assume everywhere has sports fanatics.) That's what I mean when I say local sales.

Yeah I understand the time crunch issue. Another possible way to drum up sales is to try and weave in public places as often as you can when you do have time to weave.

Yeah, and I wish I could do that. Closest I got was one of my day's off in August, a friend and I went and sat in a park and weaved for a little while. Nobody came anywhere near us.

The weather here isn't exactly condusive to it, either. We barely got about 27 C this summer. Winter lasted from mid-October last year until June... Plus it rains all the freaking time

Edited by sugarnspike613

1) You're not selling the picks, so I fail to see how insulting someone else's picks affects *your* self-esteem.

2) Considering the fact that you (should) sleep for 8 hours, 10 hours isn't much if you set them up to cure while you sleep or if you do it before you head out to work or whatever.

3) Making a mold can be as simple as taking a pick and pushing it in clay. And you don't need a resin "kit", you just need a source for resin and check the thrift stores for some crappy dishes. Google has a 16oz can of casting resin for $13. Another thing of resin 9 oz for $8. Considering the fact that I doubt a pick will take a full oz of resin, that's a lot of picks.

As with pretty much everything, the start up cost may be "high" (Though I wouldn't call $20 a big investment.) but that's the cost of business. If it's really too costly for you, you can always save up for it.

As for cost, you'd generally factor any overhead costs into the pricing of *everything* you make and sell, as a group. If you assume you'll sell 50 items, divide $20 by 50 and you'll have the added cost. Since the curing can be done anytime, even while you're sleeping, I don't think that it would be necessary to factor that into your price. I tend to consider only the time I'm focusing on something (So, mixing and pouring time, and the time it takes to pull it off of the mold) as part of the making process. You might need to bump the price up to $10.50, but nothing near the $40 you're assuming. Things can be done for far cheaper than most people assume. It's like the difference between buying groceries and cooking yourself and eating out.

There's no reason to get defensive on the internet, it makes people *less* inclined to help you. Next time you don't like someone's idea or you're going to put your grumpy pants on about things that they say, don't respond. You'll feel better and you won't risk coming across as a jerk. I find that, in situations where people irritate me, it helps to type everything I want to say, then delete it and start over.

Good luck.

Peach has anyone called you smart lately?

Does it matter? I typically don't rely on the opinions of others, 'cause in the end it's far too much effort to impress other people. That being said, I have attention issues, so I generally don't remember what people call me. And I'm not sure if I was meant to take this as an insult or a compliment, so I'll assume compliment and say "Thanks!" =]