Joshua_Rae

Uncut Coils vs. Handmade Coils vs. Pre-Cut Rings

I know already hands down that Hand made coils are the smartest way to go. Yet since I live in an apt and dont have all the tools nor money to buy what I need, such as a drill. I wanted to ask if anyone has bought the Uncut coils from TRL. They run for about $2.49 per lb. How long of a coil/how many rings would I get out of a lb. Would it be cheaper/smarter to just save up and buy the tools I need? Or should I just buy a bunch of Pre cut? Advice is helpful.

The main advantage to coiling and cutting your own rings instead of buying pre-cut rings is that you can get exactly the size you need at any time. If you buy coils this advantage is gone. The only reason I can see to buy coils is if I had a saw cutting machine so I could cut rings that are too expensive from TRL. That said, a proper ring cutting rig is noisy and messy and probably incompatibly with an apartment. The the alternative is to use a jeweller's saw and unless you have a lot of free time, enjoy the tedium of sawing coils and do not make a lot of items you will be bored to tears. For me, coils have no advantages.

I also worked out the difference in cost between making rings mtself and buying them. It worked out that I would have to pay myself $3/hour to make up for the difference between buying wire and buying precut rings from TRL and TRL's rings would be higher quality.

So, unless you need precisely sized rings and/or have a shop with about $700 in tools, buying rings is usually best.

Movak

What happened for me was i bought wire BA and copper, a mandrel, cutters, pliers, and already had a drill. Doing that costed me roughly $110.

If I had bought pre-coiled I wouldve spent.... Wow, I dont know where i messed up on that math......

Anywho, buying wire was $7.30Ib for BA, coils was $10.30Ib, and precut (say the cheaper machine) was $17.55Ib (THis was 16g 1/4")

So it all depends on your time frame, and the additional materials you need to buy.

What happened for me was i bought wire BA and copper, a mandrel, cutters, pliers, and already had a drill. Doing that costed me roughly $110.

If I had bought pre-coiled I wouldve spent.... Wow, I dont know where i messed up on that math......

Anywho, buying wire was $7.30Ib for BA, coils was $10.30Ib, and precut (say the cheaper machine) was $17.55Ib (THis was 16g 1/4")

So it all depends on your time frame, and the additional materials you need to buy.

You missed the factor of time it takes to coil and cut the wire (value of the rings = value if the wire + value if the time to make rings out of the wire). In my case I estimated about 3 hours to coil and cut a pound of wire by hand. Since the difference in cost between wire and rings is about $10/lb my pay would be $3/hr. My time is worth much more than three dollars an hour. To make my desired wage of $20/hr I would need to be able to coil and cut 2 lbs/hr. That would require a $500 sawcutting machine.

For me, it is everything Movak said PLUS there is only so much time in the day.

Not only would I be paying myself the $3 an hour for lesser quality rings, those hours would be ones I wouldn't be able to actually work on a project.

For me the only time I'd consider making my own rings would be hand cutting various sizes of silver or gold on a per project basis. Even when I make silver projects now, I just usually pick up the rings with my regular order here.

I see what you mean. In a sense I purpusely took the longer option seeing as I wanted my new hobby to last longer.

There is also the fact that I wanted to say I completely hand made it.

Edited by AA_Battery

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." -- Carl Sagan

It's always a good idea to try to do everything from scratch at least once so you appreciate the efforts put in by those who create things you use in your craft. Having wound and cut very terrible rings, I have a much, much greater appreciation for TRL's expertise.

I cut a few of my own rings for a small metals class, and yeah, that experience definitely gives me a greater appreciation of TRL. Cutting thick-gauge rings with a jeweler's saw is slow.

I ordered 40lbs of bright aluminum 14g wire instead of pre-cut rings for one reason. I don't have a job, college begins in a few months, and I don't have anything better to do. (also taking hourly photos, so it LOOKS more interesting and time consuming :cool: )

On any other project or in any other situation, I agree that purchasing pre-cut is the smartest option.

(And the money saved/paid to me in 'slave-labor' can get me a 'decent' computer)