Zeroignite

My first maille! (PICS)

Hiya!

So over the last couple days I've dipped my toes into weaving maille. Images in spoilers for sake of size.

First up was a practice sheet of E4-1. I tried using the fivelet speedweaving technique, but misunderstood the way the "Threads" align so the long axis of the piece isn't typical. Closures are quite sloppy, but it was very solid practice and taught me the weave well enough.

Here's the practice sheet with AAA battery for scale:

VAIrH.jpg

Following that, I made a basic E4-1 bracelet. Got the weave direction right this time, as well as contractions/expansions at each end. Closures are still pretty rough but getting better. I started doing the fivelet speedweaving at first, but about halfway through realized that at least for now, doing one-ring-at-a-time was actually way faster and more accurate.

Front:

e5bTJ.jpg

Closure:

2IBHF.jpg

After that success, I attempted to learn HP3-1. (Sadly, lack of foresight means I can only make a limited number of weaves right now since I only bought one size of ring, with AR ~4.2.) The first attempt was a disaster and had to be scrapped. For the second try, I modified the instructions from the "HP4-1 on a wire" tutorial and used two different color rings for each "plane" of the weave. I decided to turn the strand into a bracelet. Some of the closures still suck but for the most part they're decent now. I've gotten several compliments on the bracelet already.

Flat on the mat, with AAA battery and USD coins for scale:

J7qWb.jpg

Worn:

CdgTB.jpg

Closure:

oCAqf.jpg

From here, I plan to try and learn box chain as well as make some more HP3-1 bracelets. I need to get some more findings too, since I kinda hate lobster clasps.

Please critique!

Congratulations on getting hooked!

Closures look fine for just starting out, and you already know that's one of the major points to work on.

Getting late, so I'll just leave it at that, and wait eagerly for more pictures as you continue practicing.

Wel done - HP3-1 is not the easiest weaeve to figure out right from the start.

The direction of E4-1 is mostly relevant for shirts and the like, which need to allow a bit of 'stretch'. For bracelets I usually prefer the weave to be pulled open.

Congratulations on figuring out HP3-1. I started mailling in May 2011 and still haven't figured it out. I'm going to try the different colours for different planes. Maybe that will work.

You're closures have improved with each project so you're well on your way.

Keep it up.

If you hate lobster claps you should try some rubber rings. They work great with hp 3-1! Jpl was difficult but if just sit down and pratice till it works and "clicks" in your head it becomes really easy. I can now do a jpl bracelet in about 30 mins in alum. GL and can't wait to see more!

Decent start to the craft. Keep working at your closures, as you are well aware, they are very important.

I personally find E4-1 goes decently fast by working two rows at a time. This is with a pile of open rings, and a pile of closed rings. Start with a fivelet row, then off the side of that one, add on an open ring, and attach some closed rings. Continue down and expand. Your milage may vary...

The half persian weaves are difficult to learn, but once you have them, you'll likely end up using them a fair bit. Sad that your rings aren't quite big enough for HP4-1... That one's rather nice too.

With 4.2AR rings, you could likely put together a bracelet of elfsheet. It's really nice, especially with some color dropped in there.

Here's a link to the weave: http://www.mailleart...ay.php?key=1099

And here's a photo of one I did not too long ago: http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/4659-elfsheet-bracelet/

Edited by NetStormer

i think 3 in 1 was one of the first i ever figured. if you beat me to JPL i'll have to hang my head in shame lol

JPL is coming up fast on my list. It just looks so gorgeous and un-maille-like.

If you hate lobster claps you should try some rubber rings. They work great with hp 3-1! Jpl was difficult but if just sit down and pratice till it works and "clicks" in your head it becomes really easy. I can now do a jpl bracelet in about 30 mins in alum. GL and can't wait to see more!

Definitely want to try rubber rings, as I totally see how they'd be great with HP3-1. They're oddly expensive though... even more than anodized Ti. (I'm planning to make a post comparing price-per-ring for different materials soon.) I'm planning on buying some toggle clasps (my preferred closure), but the close supply store only had them in sterling silver, so I need to drive across town to buy them in metals that match my current colors.

Decent start to the craft. Keep working at your closures, as you are well aware, they are very important.

I personally find E4-1 goes decently fast by working two rows at a time. This is with a pile of open rings, and a pile of closed rings. Start with a fivelet row, then off the side of that one, add on an open ring, and attach some closed rings. Continue down and expand. Your milage may vary...

The half persian weaves are difficult to learn, but once you have them, you'll likely end up using them a fair bit. Sad that your rings aren't quite big enough for HP4-1... That one's rather nice too.

With 4.2AR rings, you could likely put together a bracelet of elfsheet. It's really nice, especially with some color dropped in there.

Here's a link to the weave: http://www.mailleart...ay.php?key=1099

And here's a photo of one I did not too long ago: http://www.theringlo...sheet-bracelet/

Thanks. After thinking a bit, the "two ring at a time" seems like the best plan. I do totally want to do HP4-1, but as you said my rings don't really have a high enough AR.

I've always thought elfsheet looked a bit weird, but might as well try it if the mood strikes.

Looks good so far. I started mailing back in August, but I can say I have managed to successfully make most of the common weaves, though HP4-1 gave me more trouble than I would like to admit (Months of endless frustration until it finally clicked). Now I use HP4-1 to make stretchy bracelets using rubber and Anodized Aluminum. I have also used some 16g 1/4 to make some good stretchy HP3-1 bracelets though I prefer the even look of the HP4-1. I'm wondering where you're looking for rubber rings because I find them cheaper than almost everything else on this site.

But no matter. Good luck with your mailing!

Definitely want to try rubber rings, as I totally see how they'd be great with HP3-1. They're oddly expensive though... even more than anodized Ti. (I'm planning to make a post comparing price-per-ring for different materials soon.)

That's not my observation. The price per ring for black rubber is about on par with mild steel, and the 16 ga. coloured is similar to anodized. The 18 ga. 3/16" coloured rubber is about the same price per ring as the 16 ga. ones though, and the GITD rings are quite pricey.

Edited by twilightbanana

Further adventures!

I made a HP3-1 bracelet. When showing it to a family friend, she bought it for $15! Whoo, first sale!

LJ65L.jpg

Also a couple small Moebius balls:

eCZo6.jpg

Cotton filled sqooshy ball (lib balm tube for scale):

pvDZF.jpg

Boxchain bracelet!

t5b7S.jpg

oCVQJ.jpg

Things seem like they're going fantastic so far. I just ordered a big batch of rings in different AA colors and sizes, as well as some EPDM stretchy rings. Up next is learning HP4-1, FP6-1, and Byzantine.

I'm working hard on my product photohraphy, and would really appreciate any advice/critiques. All I have is a point-and-shoot camera, a bendy tripod, and a grey card. These photos were all taken in the shade outside with a black scarf as backdrop. I had to post-process them a fair bit to correct for exposure and to remove dust speckles. A lightbox and more stable tripod would be really nice, but money...

One thing I notice is that you're using at least 1 pair of chain nosed pliers (if not two). That's the way that I started out and I would advocate trying out two pair of flat nosed pliers or a flat nosed and a bent chain nose in combination. When I made the switch, my closures got MILES better. The broader tips allow for less slippage I find.

These guys are all right: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945668000P?prdNo=25&blockNo=25&blockType=G25 and they also have them in bent nosed. The major bonus there is that sears is nationwide and the pliers have a lifetime warranty. These are my current favorite pliers for my off hand: http://www.esslinger.com/beadalonflatnosepliers4.5inch.aspx (though I have the ones without sparkly handles) because it is a narrow flat nose that fits well in gaps. In my dominant hand I continue to move between a bent chain and a wider flat nose...depending on the hardness of the rings. When you have more money to invest, the Lindstrom RX series seems to be good in that they fit the hand better. My gripe about them is that the handles feel very cheap (they're made of plastic) for the cost.

I'm sure that's far more of my opinion than you'd ever want to hear, but at least in my experience, experimenting with different tools leads quickly to better closures. :)

Oh, and as far as your photos are concerned, they look pretty darn good for just starting out. A few months ago I added a cheap light box that I picked up off of ebay and that has helped with my own photography. The diffused light keeps things better in focus when dealing with shiny objects. If you're planning to do something like selling your items online, you'll want to keep an eye out for interesting backdrops or items to photograph your pieces with.

One thing I notice is that you're using at least 1 pair of chain nosed pliers (if not two). That's the way that I started out and I would advocate trying out two pair of flat nosed pliers or a flat nosed and a bent chain nose in combination. When I made the switch, my closures got MILES better. The broader tips allow for less slippage I find.

I realized pretty quickly that the chain-nosed pliers were problematic and hacksawed/filed them down to a tip that's about 1/8th inch wide. You're right, it's far better that way.

Box is one of my favourites ^^ And now that you've got it down, Byzantine/Birdcage/etc. should be a snap!

I'm still trying to learn HP3-1. A friend of mine tried it, and damn near got it first shot...but then we went back to it a week later and she couldn't remember how. It's evil, I swear.

I'm also tackling Full Persian 6-1, which is lovely if you have the right AR.

I see your sig says you're working your way up to 10,000 hours. I did the math. 416 days @ 24 hours a day xDDD

But, it all adds up!

The trick to HP3-1 is to use the on-a-wire method. I personally leave the weave on the wire jig almost all the way until I'm done. Also, a trick is to use two different ring colors: one for the closed ones on the wire, another for the open ones. Combining those two was how I was able to learn it proficiently.

My signature is an allusion to the 10,000 Hour Rule.

Edited by Zeroignite

Congratulations on figuring out HP3-1. I started mailling in May 2011 and still haven't figured it out. I'm going to try the different colours for different planes. Maybe that will work.

You're closures have improved with each project so you're well on your way.

Keep it up.

lulz i sat trying to figure the 3-1 persion (i prefer to call snake chain) for like 15 hours ... before realizing how easy it is .... and the 2 colors are what got me to figure it out ....

and very nice work ! love the choice of colors on the snake chain

I love that you're using blue & orange - are you a Portal fan?

I started weaving almost 4-5 years ago, and have managed to get E4-1, byz, box, Rhinos Snorting Drano (RSD), and inverted round.

HP 3-1 is giving me a HELL of a time. My best friend had it figured out at one point, but when we went back to it the next day, she couldn't figure it out again. I really want to learn that one, it's so gorgeous. Also trying to learn FP6-1 (Full Persian). I also really like the looks of Jens Pind Linkage (JPL), but I don't have the right ring sizes for it.

Cheers!

Edit: lol, I just read up and realized I'd already posted on your thread xD

And I didn't get a chance to reply about the 10,000 hour thing. If I remember correctly, there's a book out about it taking 10,000 hours of practice to become "really good" at something. Can't recall if it went as far as "expert"

Edited by sugarnspike613

Blue and Orange were the two colored rings I bought in my first order before I knew if maille is something I really wanted. Figured if nothing else they look good together. And yeah, I am a Portal fan.

Hooray for more Portal fans! Totally off-topic, but you don't happen to play Portal2 on Steam, do you? I've been hunting for more people to play co-op with.

I started by making my own stainless steel rings using a metal dowel rod from Home Depot and my dad's drill. Got the idea from my jewellery class in highschool, except they used a lathe to make the coils.

The first rings I ordered were a couple of mixed bags of anodized aluminum, just to see the colours. And I tried to get the size as close as I could to the ones I'd been making - turns out I was off about the wire gauge, but oh well!