Valaraukar

Good old Colorado.

I can't be the only one out here.

I look forward to gatherings and recommendations for various festivals and groups.

Have you guys found maille friendly shops, have you had luck selling at festivals, etc.

Edited by Valaraukar

Hey there. I live in the middle of nowhere CO myself, and have been interested in getting a group to go to the Colorado Ren Faire, but so far have been unsuccessful. Up in the mountains here we have our own celebration in late September called Vinotok, week long, which is a romp.

i live in monument and don my ~80 lbs of armor once every year for the ren fest, but we usually go with a group from our church, so it would be tough to add even more people - it's hard enough to find a time that works, and then we usually end up splitting up at some point because people want to see different things.

as for selling - check out any art co-ops in your area; there are several by me, around colorado springs. i've had some success with them, though locally i still sell a vast majority of my items by word of mouth. i'm friends with the owner of the downtown comic book shop, and he agreed to start selling my footbags/juggling balls for a low commission, so if you know anyone like that, even if it's not a normal chainmail-type place, it's good to get your name out there.

Fenris: Crested Butte? I lived there for a year, moved with my mom right before the housing bubble burst. Beautiful place.

I live in the springs and have wondered about this as well. I mostly make wallet chains for bikers here but have made a few bracelets too. I am still on the fence about trying to sell to shops or anything. Would be nice to meet up with like minded folks.

Brad

Because of the springs having a large liberal college, I think chainmail wares could sell nicely at little art shops and nerdy places like comic book stores.  There might also be an arts fair or somesuch that you could rent cheap space at.  I know there's a farmers market here in CB and in Gunnison once a week and the booths are very cheap and they bring in a nice client group, ie, the kind of people who can afford to buy local organic food and are of that inclination as well.