Moondrake

Cleaning Rings

I just got my first order of TRL rings this week. After opening them all and starting to use the saw cut bright aluminum, I noticed they were quite dirty. My question is how/what is the easiest way to clean them? What do you put them in to clean/dry? Do you use/what kind of soap? Just water? Thanks is advance!

There are many posts on this subject, but the most common method is tumbling for a few hours with a little blue dawn dishwashing liquid and water in a rotary tumbler, or dry walnut shell in a vibratory tumbler.

my "poor boy tumbler" consisted of an empty peanut butter jar left in my car trunk for a couple of weeks. Or kids shaking it while in timeout.

my "poor boy tumbler" consisted of an empty peanut butter jar left in my car trunk for a couple of weeks. Or kids shaking it while in timeout.

I rather like this idea and may have to use it.

Or kids shaking it while in timeout.

LOL! Great idea! My kid just brought home straight A's. He won't be on time out for a while!

for just cleaning the cutting lube, I usually just toss the loose rings in a jar, add water and dawn, shake for about 30 seconds and rinse. it doesnt shine them up like tumbling, but it gets rid of the crud

This is what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Edited by Moondrake

for just cleaning the cutting lube, I usually just toss the loose rings in a jar, add water and dawn, shake for about 30 seconds and rinse. it doesnt shine them up like tumbling, but it gets rid of the crud

If you are looking to remove dirt from the rings a quick trip through soapy water will remove the oil and dirt. Aluminum will also put out a bunch of oxide that will turn your fingers dirty. To take that off you need to use a tumbler.

A good tip for getting your rings out of the jar or tumbler is nylons, that is what we use if we are just doing a quick cleaning on rings to get the cutting oil off.

Good idea. Thank you!

If you are looking to remove dirt from the rings a quick trip through soapy water will remove the oil and dirt. Aluminum will also put out a bunch of oxide that will turn your fingers dirty. To take that off you need to use a tumbler.

Hmmmmmm, I may have to look into a tumbler. Thanks

Edited by Moondrake

Good idea. Thank you!

Hmmmmmm, I may have to look into a tumbler. Thanks

My usualy way is tumble with soap, then dump into a kitchen strainer and rinse them off nicely with lots of water.

Since you don't own a tumbler, just go for a jar and warm soapy water, then dump into a strainer.

I'd advise getting a new strainer specifically for this purpose. ;)

Most dollar stores carry them.

Shiz

My usualy way is tumble with soap, then dump into a kitchen strainer and rinse them off nicely with lots of water.

Since you don't own a tumbler, just go for a jar and warm soapy water, then dump into a strainer.

I'd advise getting a new strainer specifically for this purpose. ;)

Most dollar stores carry them.

Shiz

This is what I had done. Thanks for your input!!