diver3114

Ordering rings by the ounce.

I'm looking to order some bright aluminum rings in an assortment of sizes for my daughter but I'm looking to found out about how many rings come per ounce. It doesnt have to be exact, just an estimate, so I can get an idea of how many ounces to order per size for her. It will be 20ga and 18ga size rings.I already order a bunch of annodized one for her.

It will say on the order page in the upper right area of whatever you are ordering, but I believe there is also a general page that gives an estimate by size.

Also if your daughter is just making things for fun, the big packages of 7-10 colors in a specific size works well too. I used that to get a smattering of each color in the big 7mm AR rings, so I could actually see the colors and have some rings to play with. I love the 18g sizes (especially the 5/32 size, those are great for making chains in all designs!). 19g 5/32 gives 1000 rings per ounce, so 18g will be close to that, about 850 rings. Black Ice color is DA BOMB! Beautiful color, goes with everything! It's a metallic grey-black that is just an awesome color. DO NOT waste your time on the plain "nonanodized" aluminum color, it's a matte silver that looks cheap in designs and the color actually rubs off on your hands!

Here's a picture of something I made with the teal anodized aluminum and copper 7mm AR rings just to show you how it looks.

The copper is WONDERFUL and while it does tarnish eventually, it takes a long time!

I almost like copper better than silver!

Good luck with the ordering! :)

post-15342-0-08893400-1330631974_thumb.jpg

Aluminum is actually a dirty metal. It does wear away in your hand like gold, but much slower.

Bright Aluminum is technically a dirty metal, but that is like saying it is a flammable material. Aluminum is the fuel in solid rocket boosters, and thermite, but your soda can isn't going to burst into flame. I have to work with fresh from TRL rings for an hour at least to get my hands visabily dirty with bright aluminum. Dirty aluminum is a different matter. You will get your hands coated in black from just running your hands through a bag of those rings.

The original poaster is also asking about what I think of as jewelery sized rings. The amount of "dirt" you will get from something that size will be very small unlike say a chain shirt. I've not had a noticeable amount of any of the jewelery I've made out of BA. Have you?

Bright Aluminum is technically a dirty metal, but that is like saying it is a flammable material. Aluminum is the fuel in solid rocket boosters, and thermite, but your soda can isn't going to burst into flame. I have to work with fresh from TRL rings for an hour at least to get my hands visabily dirty with bright aluminum. Dirty aluminum is a different matter. You will get your hands coated in black from just running your hands through a bag of those rings.

The original poaster is also asking about what I think of as jewelery sized rings. The amount of "dirt" you will get from something that size will be very small unlike say a chain shirt. I've not had a noticeable amount of any of the jewelery I've made out of BA. Have you?

Well in my experience it depends on how close the item you'll be making is to the skin. For example, BA in my bracelets never seems to create rub off, however, the finger ring I made out of 20g 5/32 BA leaves my wife with a black ring after about 3 hours of wear.

have you looked at the experimentation kits and the jewelry kits, I have ordered these for students/apprentices/minions in the past if they are just getting started, they come with instructions for some basic weaves and lots of rings to play with. and they come in not only Bright aluminum but other materials as well.

and a simple wash/tumbling can brighten those rings up to a very pretty shine. a lot of people use a tumbler, I've heard of someone using a salad spinner ( wash the rings with dawn.rinse well then put the rings inside a cloth bag and spin) I use my front loader washer and dryer and put the small batches of aluminum rings in a pillow case, tied shut then just wash them with my load of towels. works beautifully.

Edited by calisandra

A small word of warning: the jewellery kits come with machine cut rings so the closures won't be as nice as they would be with saw cut. I have rings left over from my kit that I will never use for anything but trying new weaves because I don't like the look of the closures.

the jewelry kits too? I thought it was just the experimentation kits that came with machine cut. I usually ended getting those because the minions needed pliers too...lol

A small word of warning: the jewellery kits come with machine cut rings so the closures won't be as nice as they would be with saw cut. I have rings left over from my kit that I will never use for anything but trying new weaves because I don't like the look of the closures.

When did you get the kit? I bought one of the basic aluminum jewelery kits last year and it was saw cut rings.

When did you get the kit? I bought one of the basic aluminum jewelery kits last year and it was saw cut rings.

May 2011, KIT-DJ, Deluxe Jewellery Kit.

I think TRL is moving all jewellery kits over to saw cut but it will take time. For example, on the product page, Anodized Aluminum Jewelry Kit -18g 3/16'' contains machine cut.

For the record, the KIT-DJ listing does not describe whether the rings are saw or machine cut.

the jewelry kits too? I thought it was just the experimentation kits that came with machine cut. I usually ended getting those because the minions needed pliers too...lol

I miss having minions. Can you suggest any good sources for them? :D

I think perhaps I should start a business called Minions R Us...if there is sufficient demand for them.

I miss having minions. Can you suggest any good sources for them? :D

Nero events. definitely my best source now that my children are grown and moved away. I have a few who started out when the kids were in High School who now go to NERO with us.

yeah there is that , specially when they are teenagers. :sofa: and they do tend to sleep on the furniture and get underfoot. and you have to have the latest video games to play with when they get breaks. but the best thing about minions is you get to send them home when you are done with them :innocent:

Edited by calisandra

I think perhaps I should start a business called Minions R Us...if there is sufficient demand for them.

I'd buy, but they'd need to be multi-talented...

Waluy, I just made a BA Shaggy Scales bracelet with half AA and half BA Scales to test it before selling, and within two days of wear, I had a huge swath of Aluminum dust on my wrist. This made me sad...I wonder if all AA scales would prevent that? Or tumbling before assembling? Or after assembling?