Alianhor

And what about europa

I see most of you seem to live in USA. Most but not all.

I live in switzerland :dizzy:.

Does anybody know if there is any chainmail gathering in Europa ? Anything nearer than USA that is a bit too far away for me.

I think the high cost of shipping from Canada means it's mostly North Americans on the TRL site here. Overseas mostly buys from local vendors or makes their own rings, which is what I did for several years. (I'm in a remote part of Australia so sadly not near anyone here I'll warrant. The five maillers locally I have seen evidence of or been told of, seem to have either made their own rings or bought from reseller AussieMaille.)

Plenty of armourers in Europe? That's the impression I get anyway. And with the laws there, do you stress about selling nickel silver or findings? (I've been wondering.)

The Netherlands here. Frankly, I haven't found anywhere that has the selection and quality of rings that TRL has, so when an opportunity presented itself we started carrying their rings in our store.

We don't carry nickel silver, both because it is not allowed for jewelry, and because it is not such a good idea to wear anything that can cause you to develop allergies. Sometimes laws do make sense ;)

As for gatherings, big festivals we attend like Castlefest and the Elf Fantasy Fair attract their share of maillers. I've been toying with the idea of setting up an awning, table and a few benches for an impromptu mailler's cafe.

That is interesting about nickel silver. I've seen European maillers sell it, such as Hyppiechic, and wondered how that meshed with the EU laws. I hear that the stringent laws in Denmark made earlier dramatically cut the rate of nickel allergies in young women.

Mailers' cafe sounds fab :)

ooh that might give me an excuse to travel, My Mom came over from Poland when she was 5 years old so I am told we have lots of family somewhere in southeastern Poland. right after my vacation to Cacnada so i can tour TRL :innocent:

@calisandra

"somewhere in the southeast". if it was before II WW it could be nowadays Ukraine, more than half of population in nowadays western Ukraine was polish before IIWW, so it may require some more inquiries - where and when.

I suppose your grandparents might have left some information about their origins.

Anyway, if you would be travelling via TLR I might have a little request ;)

I know I'll have to ask the exact location, but I know I had an Uncle who was a Bishop in Krakow when I was a little girl, so lets just say that was a while ago.  Grandma and Mom and her older brother came over right before WW2 started, but it was in Poland before they moved.   Right now I will happy if I can get any vacation, we have been short handed at work and its hardto get the time off.