bikepartjewelry

Oh God..the comments...they kill me

:X:wallbash::ermm: DOH!!!

(so I've got you to blame...) .gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I don't forward them when I get them from my brother's wife so, no, you can't blame me. :innocent:

It does take a while to explain to these people what chainmaille is and that it has nothing to do with stupid letters/emails. :wallbash:

Obviously they don't understand the difference between CHAIN LETTERS and chainmail. ;) At any rate, I was once sent the "chain letter to end all chain letters" so I am protected. I wish I still had a copy of that but alas it was in my university email account, which I no longer have.

I don't forward them when I get them from my brother's wife so, no, you can't blame me. :innocent:

It does take a while to explain to these people what chainmaille is and that it has nothing to do with stupid letters/emails. :wallbash:

The first topic I posted on this avatar site was about "Chainmail" Which people thought was "chain letters". I figured there'd be enough of a distinction between the two without the space. On that site only, I now spell it "chainmaille", and I stop myself from abbriviating to 'maille.

Top Ten Dumbest Questions/Comments I Have Received:

-Hey, is that bulletproof?

-Isn't that heavy?

-How long did that take?

-How much for X Item? (Specifically without addressing the different weaves, patterns, sizes, etc. Akin to asking "how much is a car?")

-I'll bet it's hard to swim in that!

-Ever set off a metal detector? (Har har. No, I haven't. I just walk right through them. Sure.)

-Hey, cool! Armor! So, if somebody hits you with a club, it won't hurt, right? (I had to manually uncross my eyes)

-Did you make that?

-Oh, cool! I want a trench coat made out of that! ~offers less than cost of materials, is insulted when rejected~ (Let's not even talk about the weight issues)

-Is it Halloween? (Every day, my good man. Every day.)

I've seen a couple very nice trench coats made out of maille...and depending on the metal you use, weight "issues" might be non-issues.

I have no doubt. My issue with the comment was more aligned with the expectation that it would be done for practically nothing. The material chosen would have cost over $500 in materials alone. I was offered $350 for the complete job.

...no.

Of course, mass-produced imports of low quality aren't helping the average consumer's understanding of proper maille at all. It's a huge stumbling block we've all got to contend with. Occasionally I'll find somebody who knows handcrafted value; as an example, I use my current client: I am working on a 4ft nylon snake whip for a repeat client. He's already bought two whips from me for $150 each, and has come back for a $75 commission. He asked questions instead of simply assuming that the $5 costume whips you see at Halloween USA are proper whips. When told the price, he didn't even blink; he just ponied up the cash and waited for his whip.

A client like that is like winning the lottery, however. Most folks see what we do, and the price we charge, and they (sometimes literally) laugh at us for it. Now, that's not to say that some people don't gouge; I've seen plenty who do. I would just like to be paid more than $2 an hour for a trade skill in artisan crafts.

Um...sorry, that was longer than I wanted. Empassioned viewpoints tend to carry me away. I'll go back to my shop now.

I allow myself $20 an hour for my work. meaning if someone purchases a persian cross, well it might cost 20 :P but if someone wants a shirt....well they're gonna take it dry lol

It's not just the chainmaille industry that you get that in. Do a drawing/painting of something that takes months to do and ask for a reasonable price... the looks are priceless. And I love hearing "Well, the paint can't cost that much!"

And I SOOO feel you on the "Did you make that?" I can be with pencil in hand putting in some details and hear "Did you draw that yourself?" :wallbash:

It's not something I look forward to in selling anything I make, but at least I'm prepared for it. I will say, though, that I think a keyboard brings out the idiot in people. Something about the ability to leave a comment makes people think they should, even if they don't really have something to say.

It's not just the chainmaille industry that you get that in. Do a drawing/painting of something that takes months to do and ask for a reasonable price... the looks are priceless. And I love hearing "Well, the paint can't cost that much!"

And I SOOO feel you on the "Did you make that?" I can be with pencil in hand putting in some details and hear "Did you draw that yourself?" :wallbash:

It's not something I look forward to in selling anything I make, but at least I'm prepared for it. I will say, though, that I think a keyboard brings out the idiot in people. Something about the ability to leave a comment makes people think they should, even if they don't really have something to say.

Yep - I got that at a show I was vending a couple weeks ago, WHILE I was sitting, pliers in hand, making a bracelet. "Yes, I make everything you see here (you f'in moron)." I even have signs at my booth indicating that I open, close and place EVERY SINGLE RING and I still get that question.

I finally got the "so if someone stabs you with a sword you won't get hurt" comment. It took everything I had not to roll my eyes and tell them to get the hell out of my booth. Gah.

Edited by bikepartjewelry

I finally got the "so if someone stabs you with a sword you won't get hurt" comment. It took everything I had not to roll my eyes and tell them to get the hell out of my booth. Gah.

Just offer to demonstrate the amount of hurt on them. :fish:

Yep - I got that at a show I was vending a couple weeks ago, WHILE I was sitting, pliers in hand, making a bracelet. "Yes, I make everything you see here (you f'in moron)." I even have signs at my booth indicating that I open, close and place EVERY SINGLE RING and I still get that question.

People don't actually read signs. 10+ years in retail proved THAT to me (we had BIG neon yellow signs about the store closing, had been up for months, and had someone berate me because we didn't have any indication that the store was closing... I was actaully standing in front of one of those signs, it was just above my head, while the customer berated me. I just turned around and looked at the sign and looked back at her after she said she hadn't seen any of the signs I was talking about. :X )

And I know I'll get that, even with just making bracelets... I guarantee it, I'll hear it (and I'll come back to post it here when it happens) "Well, at least your wrist will be safe from sword attacks!" :rolleyes: Really makes me reconsider having a booth and selling from it, I know I'll have a hard time not just staring at them blankly (my New York attitude can get me in trouble sometimes)...

Haha! Yep. I worked in retail too so I know what you're talking about. Then I took my job with customs at the SF airport and watched while people asked the way out of our customs area...whilst standing in front of a banner painted on the wall with 10 foot high letters that said "TO SAN FRANCISCO" and pointing the way. I try to be much more observant than your average person because of that but I will admit that I do have a bit of sign blindness sometimes too.

Same here, Jax. I'm not perfect, of course, but I try at least... and if it's something 'obvious' and it's pointed out to me, I usually respond with "Well, at least it didn't bite me!" or something of the like to let them know I admit I was the clueless one. hehe

Majority of people are idiots and common sense is the least accuratly named concept to date regretably.

With my wire wrapped pendants and jewlery I use to do and, honestly, still do once in a great while, I get people looking at me and going "Did you make that? How can you make that if you're (legally) blind?" Seriously, do people think loss of one's vision equates to an inability to do anything? (I'll spare you the tales of morons who don't know how those with low and no vision can still use a computer with assistive technology. . .)

Same with me cooking, as I do love to cook, I get questions like "Aren't you afraid you'll burn yourself?" . . .well yea, that's why I'm careful! You can feel the heat from a pot before you actually touch it so just more carefully and slowly and there's no issues! I burn myself about as often as anyone else who has cooking as a hobby, maybe a small little burn once every month or so, no big deal.

++sighs++ I think people just tend to look no farther than their noses most the time, that or many of their brains don't have the power needed to think before talking/commenting. Then again consitering just how many people are more than content to be spoon fed everything in this life without really needing to use their brains, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised at their ignorance anymore. . .the worst thing is that it's those my age who seem to be the biggest offenders! I swear I was born in the wrong decade.

/ramble

Top Ten Dumbest Questions/Comments I Have Received:

-Hey, is that bulletproof?

-Isn't that heavy?

-How long did that take?

-How much for X Item? (Specifically without addressing the different weaves, patterns, sizes, etc. Akin to asking "how much is a car?")

-I'll bet it's hard to swim in that!

-Ever set off a metal detector? (Har har. No, I haven't. I just walk right through them. Sure.)

-Hey, cool! Armor! So, if somebody hits you with a club, it won't hurt, right? (I had to manually uncross my eyes)

-Did you make that?

-Oh, cool! I want a trench coat made out of that! ~offers less than cost of materials, is insulted when rejected~ (Let's not even talk about the weight issues)

-Is it Halloween? (Every day, my good man. Every day.)

LOL ~wipe away tears~

I got the sword comment just the other day. I couldn't answer for 3 solid minutes.

So there I am maille-ing in public at Panera with my friend. This guy and a girl I can only assume was his girlfriend were sitting at the table catty-corner to ours and I occassionally spotted them watching us working on our stuff, mine being a roundmail chain for a necklace in 24gauge which is working out to be 78 rings per inch! So they watched us off and on for what had to have been nearly a half hour.

When they got up to leave the girl comes over and asks what I'm doing. I explain it's called chainmail and it's halfway on its way to becoming a necklace. She has it in her hands and her boyfriend quite seriously asks "You made this?"

I didn't know how to respond. In my head i'm thinking Gods you moron you sat there for a half hour and watched me! I just sat there and cautiously replied "...yes... I did"

The girl says its beautiful and she wants it, so the beau obviously wanting to impress her asks me for a price. I quote a very reasonable, yet fair price (I need to sell something to put in a new order). Her boyfriend scoffs "What? for a bunch of metal rings? screw that."

I couldn't resist. "Oh no, the rings are free. Here..." I hand him a ziplock baggie with some rings in it "good luck man." :fish:

I love it Tactical! That's perfect! hehe I would have loved to see the look on his face. :lol: (and I wonder what they think those gold necklaces are made of... and never MIND what people will pay for a single ring with an old stone stuck in it!)

That's golden, Tactical. What was their reaction?

On the topic of dumb comments, I brought a small sheet of maille into school to show in my history class. I even showed a photo of my mandrel, pliers etc.

At least five people came up to me and asked "Did you make that? I can't believe you made that!" Of course I made it. I just told you I did. Not everyone has the attention span of a ferret who's had twenty cups of coffee, you know.

I also get people saying "You..make..chain mail? That horrible spam stuff? Do you have a life?" I just facepalm at that point.

Anyway, some people seemed genuinely impressed...perhaps I've discovered a potential market niche.

I still love the people who come over to my table and say "Oh cool, so its like chain mail?" and I usually smile and say " no actually it is exactly like chain mail because it is chain mail" lol