bikepartjewelry

Oh God..the comments...they kill me

I love it Tactical! That's perfect! hehe I would have loved to see the look on his face. :lol: (and I wonder what they think those gold necklaces are made of... and never MIND what people will pay for a single ring with an old stone stuck in it!)

That's golden, Tactical. What was their reaction?

Forgot I posted that story actually. It was hysterical. I held up the bag of rings and pushed them right into his hands when I said "oh no, the rings are free, here". So he's holding a ziplock baggie with 24 gauge 5/64" rings and he looks at me, looks at the baggie, back to me, and then at his girlfriend. He didn't know what to say. I said "I'd suggest you get some decent smooth jawed needle nose pliers, regular pliers aren't nimble enough. Now, this chain she likes is called 'roundmail', it's actually one of the easier chains to make because all it amounts to is a basic european four in one which is six rows wide with the last row of rings swinging around to the first to make it into a chain. Alternatively you can do a box chain which is similar but is only 4 rows wide, but at this aspect ratio I suspect it might be a little snug for a beginner." His eyes dart between me and the baggie of rings. I said "Got all that or do you want me to write it down for you?"

That's about when my friend lost it and had to walk away :D

The guy just dropped the rings back on the table and dragged his girl away.

today, after nicely dealing with the convention placing me next to the other chain mailer at the convention, she just has jewelry so I had a slight advantage with the geek population stating out. I got an order for a bikini which I told the girl would be ready for her before she left Saturday night. the other mailer comes over watches me weaving a few minutes and says" wow you have that armor thing down to an art don't you?" I wanted so badly to say " well duh...it does say Armor on the sign, but I was nice and just smiled, nodded and went back to work. other then that we got along pretty good, her stuff is different then mine so hopefully tomorrow we will both do ok.

I want to believe she was trying to be nice and everything , but I think I was still a bit upset that they set us up next to each other so I may have taken it wrong. so like I said i tried really hard to nice . I did not intentionally try to steal her customers or say anything against her stuff even if her dice bags seemed really really small to me , well except for the ones that looked liked dildos and even those would only hold one set of dice (for those less geeky that means 5 or 6 depending on the set.) and I kind of feel a little bad when she said she was packing up tonight and not coming back for the last day for not telling her that gamers are notorious for saving their money for the last day then blowing it all before they leave but only a little bad.

Honestly, if you don't know your clientele, you're the one at a disadvantage. And I don't know what the convention people were thinking... Did they section anyone else like that?

I would hqve personally shot the person in charge. I am Navy, we dont take no bs like that.

On a side note, single set dice bags O.o. . . those are coin purses then. If it can not hold 6-8 full dice sets then its not a dice bag.

Knowing your clientele seems to me like the most important thing. . .

I want to believe she was trying to be nice and everything , but I think I was still a bit upset that they set us up next to each other so I may have taken it wrong. so like I said i tried really hard to nice . I did not intentionally try to steal her customers or say anything against her stuff even if her dice bags seemed really really small to me , well except for the ones that looked liked dildos and even those would only hold one set of dice (for those less geeky that means 5 or 6 depending on the set.) and I kind of feel a little bad when she said she was packing up tonight and not coming back for the last day for not telling her that gamers are notorious for saving their money for the last day then blowing it all before they leave but only a little bad.

Am I the only one who's interest was piqued by dildo shaped dice bags?

:innocent:

Honestly you shouldn't feel bad about not telling her. Everyone knows the geeks want to save their money just in case they find that one awesome hidden treasure which is a hand forged replica of Aragorn's Hunting knife with precision honed cutting edge or the mint Black Lotus from Alpha that someone is naively selling for $200.

Am I the only one who's interest was piqued by dildo shaped dice bags?

:innocent:

Honestly you shouldn't feel bad about not telling her. Everyone knows the geeks want to save their money just in case they find that one awesome hidden treasure which is a hand forged replica of Aragorn's Hunting knife with precision honed cutting edge or the mint Black Lotus from Alpha that someone is naively selling for $200.

Guilty on that last one. . . got 3 of them that way too. . .

how to describe them, they were a cylinder of mail just enough to hold a standard set of dice, probably the basic 7 dice set, they had a bottle cap in the bottom to keep their shape, and when filled and hanging from your belt looked exactly like a rounded hard cylindrical bags or rod of chain mail. kind of cute idea but impractical. I had dice bags that could hold almost a hundred dice and a few guys said they were too small. oh and Con is now over and I had a really great day today.

I had dice bags that could hold almost a hundred dice and a few guys said they were too small. oh and Con is now over and I had a really great day today.
I was big into D&D and that Shadowrun game. I also have a collection of dice whcih is nothing less than obscene.

Soooo, do share, what was the very best *face palm* comment of the whole con?

wow, other then the one above and the one from the lady in the costume I was judging trying to argue with me and tell me the welded chain mail fencing shirt she was wearing was not welded when I asked her to see it. (yes part of the judging was based on effort made so home made stuff did get you extra points if made well) most of the people there were actually pretty knowledgeable. It is a pretty small Con that is undergoing reconstruction and trying to build itself back up to its glory days of thousands of participants, this year I think we got maybe 400-500 total for the 3 days. I was asked once where I hiding the chain mail making gremlins who obviously must be helping me to get stuff done so fast and I didn't have the heart to tell her I was actually working slower then usual and had a lot more distractions then I would have at home but they didn't need to know all my secrets. I am thinking of doing Origins in Columbus next year, which will be a much bigger Con.

I did learn more about an older couple's personal life then I really needed to know after selling them a bikini top just before closing time on Sunday. and that I need to make some bigger dice bags. and some sacks for my "balls of steel" juggling balls :innocent:

Edited by calisandra

Bags that hold a hundred dice are too small??? Yikes! Personally I just have two full sets...with a few extras here and there (especially d6 because multiples of those come in handy). :D

Bags that hold a hundred dice are too small??? Yikes! Personally I just have two full sets...with a few extras here and there (especially d6 because multiples of those come in handy). :D

I personally "own" at least one hundred D10 dice never mind the bunches of other dice. My DM decided he wanted to use special colored dice to show different types of actions in 7th. sea. He went out and bought 20 or more of each color he could. That DM after working out what he could lost all interest in the dice. Since we play at my place the dice are still here. I also have a large number of D6's from playing Shadowrun, and several sets of polyhedrals that I've collected along the years.

I've just finished a new dice bag for myself using scales. I'll have to count how many dice will fit in it when I fill it for pictures.

yeah dice and pewter miniatures are my "ooh shiny:" hazards at gaming conventions, Chessex is evil coming out with new colors of dice every year , there were at least 8 new sets I wanted but managed to narrow it down to 2. and I got lucky the miniature company they were expecting had a family emergency and couldn't make it, so Iactually got to bring home some of my profits from this Convention, lol

Yea. . .I am a TTG nerd so Warhammer, Dropzone Commander, Firestorm Armada. . . yea I have about 150 d6's alone including this really old dice game that had attacking dice and defending dice for each clan. . . I love the pictures on the 6 faces

Chessex is evil coming out with new colors of dice every year

HAH! I totally hear that. Still, I've managed to hold myself to my two main sets. However, there's a set that is elvish style that I really want...I just haven't managed to set aside the money for them.

some of the new colors are simply amazing, there was one you would have sworn looking at them they should glow in the dark, but they said they don't just look like it in the light, the swirls of light neon colors in a shimmery white actually made them look like they were glowing, I didn't get those but a set of copper/steel ones and another new colored set.

Stuff that lives in my (stretchy chainmaille) dice bag:

3x d20,

1x d12,

8x d10,

1x decader,

2x d8,

8x d6,

4x d4,

1x d2, 1x d(bool), 1x d(heads|tails)

I have some more at home, like a bunch of matched d10s if I ever play White Wolf, and a retired polyhedral set of Gamescience dice. Buying a pound-o-dice for the group I'm GMing was a fun idea :)

Edit: Also seriously, what are d12s good for aside from the occasional heavy weapon roll?

Edited by Zeroignite

Maybe I'm the minority here, but I only keep a few of each kind in my bag. I have I think 6 or 7 sets total, but I keep them in a jar while I'm at home and take out the ones that I'll need before a meeting. Maybe it's since I play D&D/Pathfinder, but carrying around more than that just seems unnecessary to me.