DrewF.

Making a permanent bracelet.

I had the idea to make a permanent bracelet and this is what I came up with. I wanted to know if anyone has tried it before and weather or not it's a good idea.

post-3544-0-45936800-1333043750_thumb.jpg

Every once in a while you'll hear about someone who has/is making a permy. Whether or not it's a good idea is more or less up to you: If you're going to be in, say, business or industrial environments very often (where you can't wear jewelry) obviously not, but if it's something that your environment would allow you to wear and you would feel comfortable and enjoy wearing it all the time, I say go for it. What's usually a good idea, though, is to put in some "safety rings," probably aluminum of some sort depending on which metal you use, that would allow it to easily be pulled open should an unexpected situation arise in which you don't have the time to find someone to help you take it off properly.

My kid(teenager) made a E 6-1, 5(+4) rows wide out of stainless and blackened stainless, similar in size to what you've got pictured, and asked me to attach it on his wrist (semi)permanently. It's been on for at least a year, maybe two, and he's still completely cool with it. When he finally takes it off, his hand will probably float skyward...(!) Other than the rub off from the blackened rings, he's never had any issue with it, he's even flown with it, which surprised me when they didn't make a hassel about it. (I guess no one could figure out how to undo it, and nobody wanted to cut it off)

I wore one for a few months, years ago, that I had laced together at the ends with a leather thong, but it wound up being kind of a pain in the ass at times. So I recreated it with stainless and EPDM, and can slide it on and off when I want now.

If it makes you happy...

i attached a titanium 18ga 3/16" hp3-1 bracelet to my sister. she had it on for a few months then took it off herself. said it was annoying when she was running, doing dishes, etc. - things that would get it wet or dirty.

i attached a titanium 18ga 1/4" hp4-1 anklet to my wife almost two years ago and she still has it on. it only bothers her when she is wearing her snow boots and hiking around - then it chafes a bit. she wore it all through her pregnancy with no problems, though.

Hehe, I love the term "I attached xxx to..." It makes it sound like they're a fence post. :) I'd considered a permy but I couldn't do a bracelet because it's out of uniform policy and they'd make me take it off anyway. I could do a necklace if it was long enough to hide under my collar. I might do that someday...

I wore a permanent stainless steel necklace for some times but I was once taken to the hospital unconscious after an accident and they cut it off as they could not open it.

I have an anklet, hp4-1 18g 1/4" Stainless, that's permy. I've had it on for at least 6 years, perhaps longer? I made sure I could stick two fingers comfortably between it and my ankle, but it's not really floppy enough to catch on anything, either. Haven't had any problems, aside from one cotton sock that decided to tangle on a ring closure... (6 years is a long time, with no upkeep...)

Every once in a while you'll hear about someone who has/is making a permy. Whether or not it's a good idea is more or less up to you: If you're going to be in, say, business or industrial environments very often (where you can't wear jewelry) obviously not, but if it's something that your environment would allow you to wear and you would feel comfortable and enjoy wearing it all the time, I say go for it. What's usually a good idea, though, is to put in some "safety rings," probably aluminum of some sort depending on which metal you use, that would allow it to easily be pulled open should an unexpected situation arise in which you don't have the time to find someone to help you take it off properly.

This is very valuable advice. My hubby almost lost his finger when his wedding ring (from previous marriage) caught on a shelf and he ended up hanging by it. Make sure you have some way to safely remove the bracelet in an emergency. BTW, neither hubby nor I wear a wedding ring because of our industrial work.

I put a two permy bracelets on a friend a few years ago and se just recently replaces them. They were Japanese 12-2 except one row that was only attached by two rings instead of 6. That row would be easily cut in case of emergency. Do you really want to delay possibly life saving x-ray, MRI, etc due to fashion? Do you really want to be hanging from your bracelet because it did not have a weak point?

Gryffyd

Without a doubt I always put in a break point in any piece, permanent or not. I'd rather replace a ring at a clasp or other clean point.

On a side note I've been asked to do permanent collars, which is always a no for many reasons.

My friend did a permy euro 6in1 on his forearm in titanium and had it on for 6 years. Then he got arrested and you should have seen the cops trying to pull that thing off. They couldn't wrap their heads around it. They ended up using bolt cutters. All in all it was worth it for the story.

Edited by Dib