Bernice Daniels

Poll: New 20g Saw Cut AA Size

New 20g Saw Cut AA Size   43 members have voted

1. 1. We're thinking of phasing in ONE new size of 20g saw cut anodized aluminum. What would you use more?

• 20g 7/ 64" (0.8mm wire, 2.8mm ID) = AR 3.5 (byzantine!)
    • 20g 3/16" (0.8mm wire, 5mm ID) = AR 6.2

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

Please vote on your favorite choice. We're only asking about 20g.

Part of the reasoning behind this is that enameled copper wire is getting harder to source in a large color range and in good quality. A new size of saw cut anodized would help replace any holes left by EC wire issues.

(The EC wire issues are due to quality problems with the new makers of artistic wire.)

If we phase in another 20g saw cut anodized size it will take months - it will not spring into existence in all colors immediately. It takes time to make them all.

I vote for the 7/64 for Byzantine. I really don't know what the 3/16 would be used for, and I think that big of an aspect ratio would probably be too weak in aluminum, it would tend to get bent out of shape just from usage.

Also, it may be that the problems with getting enamelled copper is actually a blessing in diguise, I have never gotten enamelled copper, but I don't think I would be a very big fan of it, I would be suspicious that the enamel would tend to flake or wear off rather easily. Go for more colors of anodized aluminum, that's what I say.

Edited by septithol

3/16! It's a good mini dragonscale size, and makes a neat captive orbital!

Beat me to it! 20 gauge 3/16" is a fantastic size for dragonscale (Paired with 1/8"). I've been wanting to do a rainbow dragonscale bracelet for awhile. Perhaps Niobium or Titanium would be better, but they're both rather expensive.

Without any shadow of a doubt 7/64" is the way to go.

Now that the machine cut 3/32"s, with their 3.4 ARs have been ruled out entirely, the saw cut equivalents, with their AR of 3.0, is just a tad small for that perfect European 4 in 1 inlay if any kind of flex is required, and 3.5's are ideal.

Well I think I'll call it - 20g 7/64" it is. Remember this will not be like Athena and spring from the womb full grown in armor.... these rings will be phased in as we can - one color at a time. It will take months. We will offer the entire saw cut color pallet.