heckle

other hobbies

My hobbies include, but are not limited to; hand sewing; hand embroidery; reading; table top gaming and some computer gaming.

Here's a starter list:

Hobbies/interests include, but are hardly limited to: woodworking, carpentry, furniture restoring/refinishing; home improvement in all it's many forms; motorcycles and the whole biker thing; mechanical tinkering and automotive/motorcycle customizing (my own stuff, at least); gardening; alternative energy & repurposing & recycling projects, dumpster-diving and curb-picking and thrifting and yardsale-ing; jewelry making, chain-mail(le)ing, leather-crafting, and pretty much just creating anything; cooking & grilling (working on building a smoker), home-brewing & liqueur making (and consuming!), microbrews and imported beers; technology, science, history, reading and learning in general; I love Ren-Faires and the whole medieval thing and Ancient Rome and lost civilizations and on and on.

I would include RPG's, miniature painting, D&D, Star Trek, Star Wars, Video Games, Comics(Graphic Novels, really) and Legos, if I could ever find the time to touch any of them anymore.

Edited by madd-vyking

I think we had this thread before but ...

painting miniatures, NERO, sewing, reading, video games(not so much anymore been really busy) beaded jewelry, leather working(still learning this one,usually what I need to make armor for my chain mail to go with.

Computer gaming and reading. I finally got bored enough with both; that's why I picked up mailing. I also intend to, at some point, resurrect my skills in beadwork, if I can actually find a way to sell my works.

Beyond chainmaille, I am really into the Fallout Universe, from the video games to the RPG. I love reading books that I have never heard of by writers I have never heard of, as well as writing (I have a site linked to my profile, go creep it!), I bike a lot, and walk. I really enjoy comic books as well, and I am always open to new things.

I don't really do anything else artistic aside from the 'mailling

Buuuut, if collecting's a hobby...then I collect 3.75" Star Wars figurines and LEGO Minifigures (I just counted, and I've spent just shy of $75 CAD on Series 6 figs alone) *hangs head in shame*

On the LEGO note, my boyfriend and I have been collecting sets to compile into a LEGO kingdom when we move in together. I've wasted a lot of my free time with the LEGO Digital Designer software ^^;

Where to start? Hmm. First off, I don't work on these all the time; I tend to cycle through them periodically.

Maille, knitting, crochet, cross stitch, quilting, painting, perusing floor plans.

Yeah, that last one needs an explanation. I like to look at floor plans and design furniture layouts. I have done this since I was about 12 (I'm 48 now). I also assess the floor plans to plan modifications I think would improve the working of the space. I probably should have become a home designer.

Computer games, Building Gaming Computers, and Making costumes for my children and myself. Latest Costume: The one on the left is my latest creation out of hardened leather and the one on the right is from 18ga 3/12 AA.

577628_10150668259572862_609767861_9227673_1237705010_n.jpg

why are there headless women hanging on the castle walls? sorry the really cool dresses distracted me from the very very cool chain mail but only for a moment. though I can image cool chainmail things I could with that dress on the corner.

Lets see some other hobbies. i enjoy making non chainmaille jewelry, beadwork on a loom, tole painting, decoupage, sewing, ren faires, sci-fi conventions. And when I can hanging out with the local sci-fi club which I am a member of for the past 6 years.

I got into leather working and chainmailing because I like to make costumes that reflect my Gaming preferences. I play a lot of RPGs D&D and such and have always been fascinated by the armor. SO I make armor to match my characters in whatever game I happen to be playing currently. The leather is Skyrim inspired.

Oh crud, I forgot to list reading and writing. I read a lot of both fiction and nonfiction. I write a first draft manuscript for a novel every November during National Novel Writing Month (www.nanowrimo.org). I also take a lot of college/university courses for interest. I am about to embark on the final two courses for a Medical Transcription Certificate. I just finished the Creative Writing Certificate. I'm considering web design as my next courses because they'll help me with running my company. Front Page does pretty much what I want, but I also want to expand my knowledge and capabilities so I can incorporate databases, etc.

Have you ever gone blind? :P

nope, i only brew, i don't distill. i don't understand enough about it, and frankly, the boys at wiser's have got a pretty good system going.

RPGs (especially Bethesda's Fallout and Elder Scrolls series), pipe smoking (it's not just sit down and have a bit of pipe, there really is a bit of an art to it so I count it as a hobby), guitar building/getting mostly through one deciding I don't like it or I messed up and doing away with it , and mandolin playing

pipe smoking (it's not just sit down and have a bit of pipe, there really is a bit of an art to it so I count it as a hobby),

Ain't it just? Gaining knowledge, chain mail, computers, gaming, leatherworking is becoming one, metal working -sheet or jewerly- reading and pyschology.

I race motocross, Small motor repair, Snowboarding, Pretty much anything with a motor that I can do something stupid on, and I'm also a photographer.

That's my car, and my quad, which I race.

post-15989-0-37932600-1341946796_thumb.jpg

Cooking, Larping, and both together - cooking for Larp events. Ten days ago I cooked for 60 people for the weekend, my biggest group so far.

Cooking for large groups is a challenge in and of itself, but you mention doing both together...which makes me wonder if your menus are representative of the time periods and regions that the role playing is taking place? I mean are you serving burgers and brats? or going with roast mutton and pheasant, etc...or even getting inventive in a fantasy sort of way with say, grilled manticore wings basted with brabbleberry bbq sauce or hard-boiled griffon eggs or some such? Sounds like it could be fun!

One challenge at a time - one day I might have the campfire kitchen of my dreams and be able serve stews and roasts to large groups, but for now I am content to cook relatively normal food using whatever kitchen is available at the location. These do tend to be restaurant-stule kitchens though, so I get to play with fun toys anyhow :)

One of my upcoming Larps will be a Firefly-themed sci-fi larp. I do plan to cook at least some Asian (or fusion, perhaps) dishes there.

I have a ton of hobbies. Woodworking, Tinkering (I have voided more warranties than I can count just in the last year, because I will get something and it wont work quite the way I want it to.) Computer build/repair, RPGs (mostly D&D), Drawing, Creating custom swirled items (for an idea of what those look like google Steve Vai DNA guitar that is actually where we got the idea and started on guitars before we realized we could do it on just about anything), Magic the Gathering, Reading (mostly sci-fi and fantasy), Hiking, Photography, Photo manipulation (using Photoshop).

And I still want to add ceramics (so I can make my own beads mostly), glass working, and black smithy to those lists.