j_betts

Chainmail top Questions

After talking with my wife about the chainmail corset thread that was going on I've decided to make a fashion top for her. The basic design will be like a tank top with laces up both sides. I'm planing on using rubber and AA rings in a basic E4in1 pattern.

What I'm wondering about is how to attach the bikini aspect of it to the rest. I'm planning on making an inverted M patterned bikini top to cover the girly bits, and then continue building mail cloth onto that. Will this work? I've looked through the gallery, and either the top doesn't cup to cover the breasts, or it doesn't have much in the way of other coverage.

I'm also wondering if I should get some AA rings the same color as the rubber ones for the E6in1 band. Would it need to not stretch to hold things in the right place?

I have a project like this going on in the back burners of my mind, and I've been puzzling out just that problem myself. My ideas so far involve bordering the bottom row of the cups with all solid rings, and maybe bordering with something like HP3 or a more structural tight weave (like full persian or inverted round--in small enough gauges to not be an eyesore but still strong enough to lend some stiffness) in a fairly tight AR to sort-of create an 'underwire', for support...then attach what amounts to 'maille cloth' to the bottom of this underwire, for the body of the tank. I have been playing with a few pieces of maille to this end, but I'm currently out of EPDM rings and am waiting to make a substantial order before restocking...So, I'm sure this idea needs some trouble-shooting, but it seems (to me, at least) to hold some promise.

Surely someone will come along to tell why or why-not this might or might not work... (I look forward to reading other's expertise on the subject!)

Wow!...Nice find! That's pretty much 'zackly what I was thinking about, and frankly, looks easier than I would have imagined...

the fringe/bottom is just basic 4:1 attached to the bottom of the bikini(sides of the triangles) you just have to get past the feeling that you are adding the rings in the wrong direction, once you get a few rows down, it starts to lay nicely. I am considering putting a second band of 6:1 along that edge under the cups to add support for one I am making my daughter-in-law then extending it down like a tanktop. ( she is a 42 E and needs the support)

Thank you all for the advice. I think I've got the design pinned down. I'm going with an inverted M bikini top with the E6in1 straps connecting to the back of the top. Front and back will be laced together when on her. It will be made out of black rubber rings and red AA.

Last hurtle will be deciding what size of ring. 18g 3/16 would look awesome but take forever and cost a mint. Does anyone know how see through the 16g 5/16 rings are with rubber? The pictures in the gallery are mostly on black manikins with black rings. I can't tell if I'm seeing "skin" or just the rubber rings.

I don't know about 16g 5/16" rings, but I do know that 16g 1/4" in AA and EPDM are not see through in E4-1. That's my size of choice when making bras. You could always make the bra part not see through, then use larger rings for the part that goes down from it...

E6in1 in 16g 5/16 covers pretty well--you can see through it a bit, but I would think of it as acceptable, socially...E4in1, on the other hand, though I've not done it with rubber, just stainless--is pretty see-through. Don't think it would 'prolly cut it for a lady as an everyday thing.

ok easiest way to do this...these are all 16g 5/16 and the plastic mannekin is flesh colored so you be the judge...

563449_433620639988882_100000228492672_1862450_2096710956_n.jpg

That's 4-1, right? Definitely see through.

E6-1 in that size would have a few little spots you could see through, but nothing as open as above.

also the 18g 3/16 does take a little longer but is not that bad, I made one of those when I had a lot of random extra 3/16th and lots of 3/16black nitrile rings. the biggest drawback i actually saw with using this size if that event using the 6:1 around the neckline line and for the straps...the cups seem to remain kind of flat without that nice bra-like cupping that the larger rings give. I have also made ones with a mix of 14 and 12g 5/16th AA and 16g 5/16 EPDM and these have a lot less showing of skin through the rings. I like the 16-14g since most of my customers are planning to wear them over something else.

I think he was just planning to use the 6:1 for the straps and neckline not the whole top, and in most places seeing skin through is acceptable as long as there is nipple coverage

Hey, you're not gonna get me complainin' there's too much skin---the crowd I run with, these tops would be considered modest, often as not....I was thinking it would all depend on what his wife (and he!) was willing to let shine... ;)

Edited by madd-vyking

I think he was just planning to use the 6:1 for the straps and neckline not the whole top, and in most places seeing skin through is acceptable as long as there is nipple coverage

Yep, that's what I thought too. Just thought I'd throw out the option. I got a close up view of 6-1 on the skirt waistband I did. I think it was technically 6-3, but whatever...

I've been to a couple of events where lots of skin was showing. North Carolina law states that all the pink bits must be covered, so strategically placed electrical tape on the boobs is what I see mostly. :D So weird to be in public with boobs hanging out everywhere and black x's over the nipples.I got used to it quickly. :D

we have yet to have a summer NERO event since I started selling the tops, I never expected them to be this popular, I was down to one left (mine) after my last event. I am thinking though that once it starts getting hot we will see just brave some of our younger females really are.

I've been to a couple of events where lots of skin was showing. North Carolina law states that all the pink bits must be covered, so strategically placed electrical tape on the boobs is what I see mostly. :D So weird to be in public with boobs hanging out everywhere and black x's over the nipples.I got used to it quickly. :D

That's pretty durned funny...I picture the ladies running around with what amounts to a dead/passed out "smiley" on their chests....cute... :biggrin: