AlchemistsFire

Vancouver/Lower Mainland Meet-up?

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about organizing a meet-up/crafting day for those of us in the GVRD. I think it'd be really cool to try and get some of my fellow 'maillers and Vancovuerites together to meet, 'maille, share tips and tricks, maybe do lunch or something.

Summer's on its way, so I was wondering if anyone might be interested in coming out and joining me for a day at the beach! I live really close to the White Rock Beach, and have a perfect grassy spot in mind to throw some blankets down and hang out.

Anyone intersted?

It's too bad I am way too far away from everyone on this site, because it would be really cool to meet up with some other mailers. Though my girlfriend has been wanting to make a trip down there, so maybe something could magically fall into place... I'll see who else is interested, and when this would be.

I was thinking some time in May, since I'll have a lot of free time...but I realized most people probably have actual jobs and work week-days, which are what I have off. But, I should still have the occasional day off when I do go back to work full time, so I'm sure something can be arranged.

Do you mind if I ask whereabouts you are?

Both my girlfriend and I usually work weekends, but we may be able to get one off.

I live in Revelstoke, sort of in the very middle. Both Kelowna and Kamloops are fairly close, but I have not yet heard of anyone on this site from either of them.

I know where that is! =) My aunt and "little" cousins are from there!

I'm not sure if I've heard from anyone up that way either

Oh, I do know that talon420 is from Trail

Edited by sugarnspike613

It's a nice little town, but there is nothing to do here at all unless you like to ski/snowboard. Though I'm hopefully moving to Kelowna at the end of summer, so maybe I'll find more to do, and I will be a little closer to all the mailers near the coast.

Yeah, that's true. My "little" cousins are very athletic.

I hear Kelowna's quite the city now. Not sure what's there, though. Haven't been up that way in 5 years.

My grandparents have a place on the Okanagan Lake, although they've sinced moved into Vernon.

And, yeah "closer", it's still like a 5-hour drive xDD

Oh well, at least you'll be more in wine country, LOL

Wine country and I don't even drink... *Almost Sad face*

At least there I can go to school. And we just got a new car, so I'm sure traveling will be a possibility.

I was hoping there would be more people in the Van area that were into this :confused:

It would have been great to have a big inspirational meet.

@sugarnspike613 - If you want to meet up sometime I would love to see your work. I'm newish at this stuff so I don't have a lot of knowledge yet, I have more projects "in the works" then done. I live downtown Van, I know where White Rock is, it's not that far.

I was hoping there would be more people in the Van area that were into this :confused:

It would have been great to have a big inspirational meet.

@sugarnspike613 - If you want to meet up sometime I would love to see your work. I'm newish at this stuff so I don't have a lot of knowledge yet, I have more projects "in the works" then done. I live downtown Van, I know where White Rock is, it's not that far.

My hopes were the same as yours, I'm kinda disappointed honestly xD

I'd love to meet up with another mailler! We're all new at some point, so don't feel bad!

I first learned to 'maille about 4 years ago now, then didn't pick it up again for about a year...then had close to another year to wait to be able to start playing with the Anodized Aluminum I'd bought because I couldn't get my hands on nylon pliers. There are still tons of weaves that many consider "basic" that I haven't learned or still struggle with.

I'm perfectly happy to come downtown, or to meet somewhere out here - let me know what works for you! I think I'm also gonna try and bring my best friend with me, since I'm sure we'll find more to talk about then just 'maille.

I was in Vancouver in June, it's too bad I didn't know far enough in advance to plan. I'll probably be through there again next summer to visit friends and relatives, if you manage to plan a gathering let me know and I'll see if I can coordinate my trip with it.

@sugarnspike613 - meeting up would be great. The soonest it could happen is mid November as I'm focused on halloween right now and then I have a business trip at the beginning of Nov I'll be away for.

@sugarnspike613 - meeting up would be great. The soonest it could happen is mid November as I'm focused on halloween right now and then I have a business trip at the beginning of Nov I'll be away for.

Unfortunately because of school I'm pretty much tied up until the 18th of December. We're right in the middle of term projects right now.

LOL.... I'm leaving on Dec 15th on a xmas trip to visit friends/family and go snowboarding through the rockies. I won't be back in Vancouver until the new year. Doing my snow dance, it looks awkward and pathetic but leads to great POW.

This thread is rather old, but I hope there are still BC maillers around. I am from Kamloops. I would be neat to meet up with other mailllers. I have been mailling for nearly a year now and have sold some items.

If anyone is still around, feel free to contact me!