ThomasTyndan

7.5 Foot Tall Chainmail Heraldry Banner, over 100k rings!

OMG! That's huge and lovely. I like the way you hung it by folding over the entire piece. I don't suppose using less than the entire width would have been able to support the weight. Tremendous job. :flower:

I do not know how to type the sound of my jaw hitting the desk in front of me.

Damn!! :thumbsup::unworthy::respect:

Very well done. Bravo!

P.S. I'm somehow thinking your bill with TRL should be able to subsidize a group discount for most of the rest of us in North America.

Impressive in a number of ways.

100000+ rings an epic undertaking, completed in less than a year? My respect sir.

That knot work is awe inspiring.

And getting that to hang smoothly on the wall ... well done!

Title granted .. Acknowledged Master. and well earned.

I love the story of the disembodied hand. Very romantic and kinda gross at the same time. I like the way you incorporated all your heritage into the banner.

My grandmother's maiden name was Riley and it was nice to see the coat of arms for it.

@ strhunter2

well, thats not ALL we do at Google :biggrin:

@ Brimley's Mom

Yes the loop had to extend the entire length. not just for weight, but also to keep the entire banner rigid. This was a lesson learned from my Google banner where the loops result in droopage of parts of the banner and in turn makes it hang in a less than desirable manner.

@ madd-vyking

The material costs were rather... large. But that wasn't the frustrating part. I had this banner designed and templated last summer (roughly July), but the anodized aluminum shortage was in full effect on almost all of the colors I needed, especially Green which had 0 in inventory, at the time, and the as yet non-existent Champagne color. I'm pretty sure Bernice was fed up with my harassment about availability. I don't like ordering anodized rings as separate orders, because there can be variations, I'd rather get it from the same batch. Thats proved hard to do when ordering 300 bags of Green Rings 90 bags of Gold Rings and 55 bags of Black Rings.

@ everyone else who has replied thus far

Thanks!

Edited by ThomasTyndan

Argh, stupid tabbed browsing - I had this typed out once, let's try again

This is absolutely incredible!

I was bad and went and priced the rings ^^; Holycrap XD

And you said it took you 5 months? Mind if I ask you roughly how many hours per day?

I'm also oggling your Roman shield. I happen to have a LEGO Minifigure with the same one!

http://www.customminifig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/LegoRomanSoldierS6.jpg

There was a lot of variation from day to day. Some days (even weeks) I did not work on the banner at all. But for the most part it was at least a few hours a day. A "normal" week looked like this:

Sunday - 6 hours

Monday - 5 hours

Tuesday - 5 hours

Wednesday - 2 hours

Thursday - 6 hours

Friday - 2 hours

Saturday - 8 hours

Thats a total of about 34 hours a week. Which was almost all of my free time, I basically had a second job. This is not counting the time it took to close rings, which I usually did on the go. I carried what was an old cordless screwdriver case, in which I carried ziplock bags full of unprocessed rings. I would close rings when carpooling for work in the morning as afternoons. Any party, vacation, work trip, etc. that I went on I would carry that case with me and close rings.

As for the Roman Shield, that is part of my ever expanding Armoury, of which I only have a very old picture:

http://thomasriley.info/Costuming/Armoury.JPG

That is truely an epic piece. One day I want to make a banner of a similar size, but my wallet, and my job would halt that project pretty fast. For the rings you used it actually looks really detailed, and that both impresses me, and encourages me to not go really small like I originally would want to.

Also, have you personally purchased stuff from that site? And if so, are you happy with the quality? I have been searching for a place to buy more weapons and armour for my collection, but I never trust the quality of things off the internet.

I have been buying medieval weaponry and armour online for nearly 12 years now. I can say that there are 2 sites that can often give quality products:

Museum Replicas and Medieval Collectables.

there is not perfect site, but the above are reliable and have good customer servce, which is better that the other places you will find on the web. Most of my armour here: http://thomasriley.info/chainmail/?p=69

Was made piecemeal from these 2 sites, I made the chainmail and had the surcoats custom made, but all the plate armour, the Boots, etc are from those 2 sites.

Excellent work, when I tried a project with this number of rings, I got about 1% that were not anodized properly. How many did you end up with that were duds and what do you do with them? My daughters use them to make bracelets and such for their friends.

I was surprise, the duds were not mis colored ones very often. I had a few green that were more mint colored. I don't think I had a single gold that was miscolored, once or twice I had a more purple than black ring. The bigger issues I had were some of the saw cuts were off and the rings couldn't be closed without it being more of an oval then a circle. But that was probable well below the 1% mark. The miscolored rings I add to a collection of misc rings used for various 1-off things, such as jewelry, and the mis cut ones I just thew away.

I'm with Euar on this one!!

I've thought of doing 100,000 ring projects before and the concept isn't that difficult to overcome considering I've done well over 100,000 rings total in my nearly 15 year career (I think I'm in the area of 3-400,000 for a low given total possibly up to 500,000) but the scope of things that I have done are rather small. A dragonscale bottle wrap only took 8,000 rings, and an elfweave bottle wrap only took 5,000 etc, etc.

I can't think of another project that would take 100,000 rings to complete that's both feasible and better than this! A 7.5' inlay, over 100,000 rings, less than a year, color coordinated, larger than life, storytelling, symbolic, beautiful, legendary, single handedly the most one-of-a-kind one-of-a-kind creation put forth on this board since I've been a member (2004).

You Sir have set the bar so damn high that I both congratulate you and damn you at the same time...I'm going to stop here before I start just gushing all over the place even more!! I'm mad and enthralled at the same time. Take yourself a long deserved break because dedication like this can burn an individual out and I just hope that you never stop doing what we all here love and do!

This guy needs some kind of award. Can we award him something? Any thoughts?

I do not think that I could have received a better compliment than what you just wrote. Thank you so much. I do however think that this creation is only one among a myriad of amazing pieces that people within this community create every day.