17 replies to this topic

#1 Exxes

Exxes

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

ok so i\'ve been making mail for some time now (12yrs). im trying a"seamless" ( no outward viewable seams) scale mail shirt ...
however somehow i made a counting mistake on the back of the shoulder seperation a few weeks back that i just noticed today ... i realy realy do not wish to rip the whole shoulder apart to get the correction made but i think this may be the only way to go about it please any help would be great.. pic to follow . i hope

Edited by Exxes, 11 May 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#2 StanleyIndraven

StanleyIndraven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

with a pic we can help more, but what is the counting error? like you need to add a row or you need to subtract? is it noticable?
Posted ImageMail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

#3 Exxes

Exxes

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

ok pics are front and left shoulder the right shoulder is fine unless it need to be changed to fix the missing row on the back of the left shoulder ...
the shoulders are 8 rows down each side, save for the left back side ...
the under weave is all the way around the arm/ arm pit but attached only on the shoulder as is saw my mistake while working on this part first time really trying to make the shoulders this way but i think it is kinda working...

at this point im thinking of ripping the under weave out and adding a few rows anyway to make the size correct back there

Edited by Exxes, 11 May 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#4 StanleyIndraven

StanleyIndraven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Ok, now that I see the piece, I am guessing that the back of the shoulder is 6 rows by my count instead of 8? the only way to fix that is to add more, now as for the underweave it is all just butted or is it welded? Butted should only take a few minutes to detach, add then reattach. But I think it looks ok otherwise.
Posted ImageMail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

#5 Exxes

Exxes

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

yeah.... the underweave was butted but i was over eager and really secured it in there 4 rows each direction.It took an hour but i got her fixed up ... However in that proccess i found a few more mistakes and had to take everything apart twice because i got mad and made a mistake putting together in a hurry... i'll post a few more pics as i get this project done...

thanks much for the imput and help

P.S. has any got any ideas for long sleave scalemail shirt? ... any ideas/ help would be great.

Edited by Exxes, 14 May 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#6 calisandra

calisandra

Mistress of Minions...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

for long sleeves would probably suggest scales on the outside of the arm only and chain mail against the body. haven't tried a long sleeve in just scale yet, if you figure it out let us know please

#7 Brimley's Mom

Brimley's Mom

Artful Dabbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

The scales facing each other (inside arm and side of torso) are likely to scratch each other and may even catch on each other. In my opinion it is much better to follow calisandra's advice.

#8 StanleyIndraven

StanleyIndraven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

I have a full sleeve attached to a chain vest. There is little/no catching and it is incredibly comfortable. God willing I will have the wife take a picture this week and get it up now that it is finished.

#9 Brimley's Mom

Brimley's Mom

Artful Dabbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

I have a full sleeve attached to a chain vest. There is little/no catching and it is incredibly comfortable. God willing I will have the wife take a picture this week and get it up now that it is finished.

What about scratching? How are the scales holding up?

#10 Exxes

Exxes

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

OK it's finally done ill post some pics soon ( short sleeve so far)

#11 Mewpal

Mewpal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

That looks fabulous! Well done! Drapes really well. Are those the large or small scales?

#12 calisandra

calisandra

Mistress of Minions...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

looks great

#13 Exxes

Exxes

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

all small scales im going to lengthen the arms... then on to a rider jersey.. if i can get enough green scales and rings

#14 Mac The Knight

Mac The Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

all small scales im going to lengthen the arms... then on to a rider jersey.. if i can get enough green scales and rings

man that look sweet this is the clostest I cam to making sleves on a shirt

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Mac The Knight, 12 July 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#15 Exxes

Exxes

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

are they large scales Mac? im thinking im going to make a large and small scale project soon ... they really don't look as huge as i thought the large scales would be

#16 Mac The Knight

Mac The Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

Yup there large scales I have done two shirts in smal scales for my grandson I'm going to do one for me in small scales now

#17 Exxes

Exxes

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

well check your sanity now because i kinda lost it a bit while working on mine... the mistakes that you find a week later really are what drive you a little bonkie...
best of luck
post pics

#18 Mac The Knight

Mac The Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

That happens now lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users