manarante

Finishing scale halter, need help with details

I think he said he was trying to keep the price down

Yeah, definitely trying to keep price down. It takes me forever to make these things, and I am having a hard time quoting a price that even pays me $10 an hour for making them because it seems so exorbitant. I'm not willing to work for less than that, so I gotta cut costs somewhere.

So if you go Butted ring try to use Stainless whenever possible 16G 5/16 is the recommended size but I have made them with 18g 1/4 , it makes for a tighter weave but the still lay nicely over what they are designed to lay over. if you should decide on Aluminum do not go any smaller then the 16g.

Thanks! Gonna have to order some stainless.

Not to hijack this, but there is a way to do a sort of cupped form that might work for the more well-endowed ladies out there.

Start with two equilateral triangles. Do a 45 degree link, the width of two triangles together should be just enough to cover your widest point. Turn your linked triangles so the 'seam' is arranged vertically, this will give also give you a straight line of outward-angled scales along the top. See the last two bottom scales linked together in the middle? Attach a scale between those two (one ring onto each 'triangle' scale) and finish the row to the outer ends of the triangles. By the time you hit three rows below your original triangles, they have been pulled in to form most of the cup. From there you can contract the weave after you've rounded the curve so to speak to finish the cup, and cover the opening left by the 45 degree seam with a row of scales. The angled scales on the top can still be attached to a regular sheet of scales running either horizontally or vertically in relation to it, and you should not have any real issues with the bottom as it has been pulled around to hang like a normal sheet. It does take a bit of finagling to get it to hang nicely with a vertical sheet mind you, but it is not too hard to do...

I've made the spaulders of my aluminum scale shirt in this manner, minus the contractions since I only wanted to cup the top half of my shoulders and let the rest drape over my upper arms.

Well, I have this a shot but the cup did not come out anything like I had hoped. The two triangles ended up as isosceles with a 90 degree angle, so when I joined them together the top of the cup ended up being pretty much a straight line. I went through with adding the three extra rows at the bottom after the join and they are still not really draping, the scale fabric is incredibly rigid. It does look pretty awesome as a spaulder, though. I get the feeling that working with these scales is going to involve a lot of cursing. Maybe if I made the triangles smaller they would work better? Still going to be right triangles, though.

I am sorry but my brain is having trouble with picturing a 90 degree angle , now I will have to bump this project up on my list of things to do and try it out...I'll let you know how it goes...got any pictures of yours so we can see??

This isn't the best pic, but here is a spaulder shot from the top. If you do the equilateral triangles as I said, you will get a straight line on the 'top' of the cup. You don't have to though. You can do this with two right triangles for instance, link their diagonal sides together, and you will have a diagonal line of scales coming off your seam. I haven't had issues with rigidity myself, though as I've said, I've not contracted this form down. Hope the shoddy pic helps anyone else experimenting with this...

Sorry, pic didn't attach first time, let's try it again...

I should add the equilateral triangles hidden in there are only 4 scales long on the diagonal rows, meaning there are 10 scales total in each. That's all. The rest of this is woven around them.

post-3890-0-63927000-1341112541_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paladin

yep that is what I am curently getting, the problem I am see is it isn't working structurally as a support. yes it giving me more of a cup shape but with the scales laying sideways across the top of the breast I am not sure this is is going to work. an it seem the cup size is going to a lot bigger then I may ever need, lol

yep that is what I am curently getting, the problem I am see is it isn't working structurally as a support. yes it giving me more of a cup shape but with the scales laying sideways across the top of the breast I am not sure this is is going to work. an it seem the cup size is going to a lot bigger then I may ever need, lol

Yep... I am going to squirrel this technique away in case I get a commission for someone who would need this size. I do have some acquaintances who would conceivably require it, but my fiancee/test model is a DD and they definitely did not work for her.

Hey there, I ordered the large green scales in hopes of creating a original costume that I would wear again and again (hopefully) and I saw this halter that you made! I think it's a gorgeous piece and I would love to use this as my inspiration! Could you please provide any advice or tips for a beginner? It would be much appreciated.

that piece is beautiful and your model is gorgeous! I wish I had skills like that...not only to be that good with scales, but to find someone that beautiful to wear it for me lol. -runs off to look for scale maille tutorials and place an order-