madd-vyking

What's in a name?

Sometimes the names people choose to use on forums gets me to wondering what makes a person choose the names they do. Sometimes it seems obvious---more often, ...not so much.

So, I thought I'd put the question out there for those who care to share...What led you to pick the name you use?

Guess I'll start...

So the "vyking" part I come by honestly...15 some odd years ago I was dubbed "Viking" by some biker buddies (Bikers seem to have a really hard time getting by without nicknames!). Being that I'm 6'2", 20+ stone, with blond hair that's been cut once in 25 years or so, and sport a 3 year beard...I live the part everyday. More folks I know at this point probably call me Viking than my given name. Spelling it "vyking" just helps when you're trying to find a screen name that hasn't been taken without adding a "123" to the end of it.

The "madd" comes both from my mental state (more slightly insane than angry) and the city I call home, Madison, WI---affectionately referred to as "Mad-town" or the "Mad-city" by the locals. I'm madd-vyking on just about any forum I frequent.

So, what's your story, morning-glories??

I use the name Reformed Tomboy on a few sites. Pretty self explanatory, I was a tomboy as a kid, and now I'm less so. Later when I signed up on some other sites I wanted a shorter name so I dropped the Tomboy part.

Edit: apparently googling reformed tomboy gives lots of interesting, and not-me results.

Edited by Reformed

I've always had a hard time with screen names and usually just use my initials followed by the year I created the name. I decided to break from my habit and get a little more creative this time. Brimley is my quaker parakeet. (He got his name from Wilford Brimley who did a Quaker Oats commercial.) I got Brimley before he was weaned so had to be his mom. That's how I became Brimley's Mom.

My usual online handle at one point was Twilight (this was long, LONG before a certain series of books came out), since I tended to be on the fence about a lot of things - in-betweeney, not one or the other - so the name seemed appropriate. When I joined a mailing list for a group on E-groups (now taken over by Yahoo) called Banaan (Banana) the name Twilight was already taken, so twilightbanana was the next logical choice.

My Yahoo address eventually became my main mail addy, and I found that while the name 'Twilight' might often be taken, 'twilightbanana' is always available. So it became my default online handle.

I actually was trying to make a name for a D&D character and just couldn't come up with anything I really liked so I took the name of the main character from the movie I was watching right at that time and turned it around. Thus I came up with Waluy. I ran that character for so long all of my friends began calling me either Waluy or Wally. So it stuck. Later on while making various board or game accounts it became very clear that Waluy was always available. I can pretty much guarantee any time you see the name Waluy or Waluy of Ardinia (the characters original full name) it will always be me.

*bonus points to anyone who knows the movie I was watching LOL

My user name has 2 parts

wx = weather - I'm a USAF Weather Forecaster

druid = the Druid part because I really enjoy playing Druids in D&D 3.5ed and Druids have a lot of really fun weather spells.

I use this name on Giantitp.com and my full nickname there is Gwen the wxdruid. I also use it on Etsy and it's on my license plate. I haven't found anyone else who uses this username and I'm rather fond of it. =)

at some point ill stop being forgetful and needing to edit...

rammstein song. didnt want to bother with other, older names that just... feel silly now, so i went for that.

Edited by Schtiel

it's a shortened form of sir_osis_of_liver, my old email, and the name of a knight in a bugs bunny cartoon. at one point i was also sir_loin_of_beef....same origin

Calisandra (Cali for short) was the name of my first D&D character and the name of a character I often use in certain role playing forums online.

Mine is from college. There were two Kims in the department, and I was the shorter of the two. They tried "Little Kim" for awhile but I hated it, so they started calling me kimbalina as a joke and it stuck. Sometimes I have to add numbers at the end but not that often.

Back when I was up in Jersey, I wore my coat about 340 days a year. It is brown. I originally got it because my arms were disproportionate for my torso and no other coats would fit correctly. I also have an ongoing project idea to make a chainmaille trench coat one day.

Mine is from a nickname I got in high school Mightydog. I was known for carrying well more then my load and not think anything of it. I started using that as a screen name but realized it was to common. So for most forums and games I use Mieteedawg. I haven't ran across it on any other sites or games. So chances are if you see spelled that way it's probably me.

Mine actually originates from back when I was 13...so I've been using it almost a decade xD It's a play on "Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of",

I was playing an avatar site under the name "Sugar Tree", and at the time I had an absolutely MAAAAAD crush on the character "Spike" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

So I took the "Sugar" from my username and the "Spike" from my crush. Plus 6 & 13 are my favourite numbers.

"sugarnspike", or any of it's forms (with underscores, etc), are usually taken on forums, so I plunked the numbers on the end. Guarantee you bump into "sugarnspike613" anywhere, and it's me.

Not knowing the actual meaning until some time after I started using the name (on various forums: I've not yet ran into it being taken), mine is from the character Milquetoast the Cockroach in the Bloom County comic strips. Not that I'm old enough to actually know them as newspaper comics, but my father has a big book anthology of them, and they're just great.

Not that I'm old enough to actually know them as newspaper comics...

Oh my god you just made me feel old. Old, old, old. I'm only forty-three, but I totally grew up with those, WAAAAYYY back in the eighties. A horrible decade, to be sure, but Bloom County was the sh!t.

Oh my god you just made me feel old. Old, old, old. I'm only forty-three, but I totally grew up with those, WAAAAYYY back in the eighties. A horrible decade, to be sure, but Bloom County was the sh!t.

I had the same reaction. I just turned 43 as well, but that comment made me feel about 100. What's next? Not knowing The Far Side?

I had the same reaction. I just turned 43 as well, but that comment made me feel about 100. What's next? Not knowing The Far Side?

I bought a mug for our top salesman. His name was Carl and the mug was The Far Side top salesman mug about a salesman named Carl selling refrigerators to Eskimos.

I am 48.

Canis = Wolf or dog in Latin

Unis= One or Lone.

Hence Canisunis = LoneWolf

Edited by Canisunis

lol wow thanks vyking now I feel positively ancient I turn 48 last month, lol

Think less that you're old, and more that I'm young! Only 19 (though, sadly, often mistaken for 15 or 16), so I could still probably be qualified as a young hooligan

Skedros is the name that I use with the Seattler Knights, so it just seemed proper to use it here.

I also seem to recall that this particular thread has happened at least twice before.

I can remember Bloom County as the daily comic, I also remember rotartry dial phones, life before c.d.'s, life before the internet, life before cable tv. Heck I remember using books to entertain myself.

Oh yeah, I just turned 53 recently.

CDs? What are those? Are they like, before MP3s or something? Yeah, I think my parents had those...

I suppose this would be my introduction, wouldn't it?

Carry on...

When I was a wee little teenager, around christmas time my little brother came home and in class they had come up with Christmas Elf Names... I think his was Gumdrop or the name of some other vile confection commonly thought of around the time. Either way it did not fit his current state of being and my family and I set about correcting this mistake.

I couldn't tell you any that we first came up with, but eventually we got to the root of the names, the hyperactivity that usually is associated with too much candy consumed in a short amount of time. And when that happened, everyone decided that their Dear Sibling or Daughter didn't deserve to be left out of this ritual name calling, so in the end I was dubbed Twitch, and my Dear Sibling was now known as Spazz... I wasn't complaining, we were children who knew of our insanity and loved to exploit it at any interval we wished.

Of course my variation of the name stuck, and my brothers didn't, which says something about my peculiar brand of psychosis, but who is counting???

Well, it was a late night and I had nothing else to do so I got on a chatroom. Someone irritated me so I was being an ass and someone said I was being "Sweet as a peach" and called me Peach ever since. After a while everyone else started calling me Peach so I started using it everywhere.