madd-vyking

What's in a name?

Love all these stories behind the handles. Selppin, I especially like yours, and agree.

People in the West can make SUCH a fuss about breastfeeding, for example. In Saudi Arabia, women breastfeed in public, lol, even in niqab or burqa, and spend lots of time naked in hamam bathhouses so the West is not the only one with weird double standards.

This name came from my main character I created in the City of Heroes beta, way back in the day. 

I have older, previous names, but I mainly go by this one now. 

I think its a shame that men can flaunt and women have to hide. There are a lot of men I wish would cover up. Here in Ontario, we women have the right to go topless, but very few actually do.

Didn't know there were places women arent allowed to go topless..  

side note  i made my first chainmaille shirt in university and wore it drinking one night  sir osis became my nickname after

Sir Osis means "Sir Bad Luck" in Swedish :fun:

Or, to put it another way, some cultures feel it's necessary to regulate people's bodies. There's an ongoing thread in the Adult subforum that's veered into discussion about breasts in public...

Seth Drallitoc - Seth after the ancient Egyptian god. Drallitoc because it's my surname typed backwards.

Which brings me to another interesting point about names. This is what the internet tells me my name means:

Cotillard

This rare and interesting name derives from "Cotel", a diminutive form of the old French "Cot(t)e", coat of mail (of Germanic origin) with the addition of "ard", a suffix via the old French from the Germanic "hard" usually employed in a pejorative sense to indicate a person given to display. Usually, only the richest classes could afford to have this flexible armour consisting of riveted metal rings which required many hours of skilled labour to construct. Cotelard or Cotil(l)ard is therefore most likely to have arisen as a nickname for a proud wearer of this armour, or perhaps, for a hard or warlike person. One, Beringarius Cotel, a follower of William the Conqueror, was recorded in the 1084 "Geld Roll of Wiltshire". Perrine Cottel was christened in Angers, Faine-et-Loire, France, on February 11th 1701 and Joseph Cotil was christened in Givet, Ardennes on July 19th 1819. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Francois Charles Marie Cotilard, (birth), which was dated November 27th 1855, in St. Sampson, Guernsey, during the reign of Queen Victoria, known as "The Great White Queen", 1837 - 1901. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

I got the name Kittensoft shortly after I started mailling. The kitten came from 2 sources. 1) My name being Katrina, I have gone by Kitten is several places. 2) At the time we had a new kitten who loved to sleep on my projects, as well as attacking the ends of coils I was cutting.

The soft, well anyone who has worked with small gauges and IDs knows how soft maille can be.

Put the 2 together and you get Kittensoft.  I've been using it as a hobby business name since about 8 or 9 months after I started mailling.

I tend to use variations of the same words when I'm signing in to business forums. For hobby forums like this - I try to use something different for each one. Noddy just came into my head as I was signing up,  it's from an old British kids TV animated series. I doubt I saw it too often since we didn't have a TV.

I played the xbox game Mech-Assault when I was over my best friend's house, and I looked into the older versions.  There are many different mechs, but the one named DireWolf was my favorite.  It also correlates to the primitive dire wolf, and since I am big on survival skills, it fit right into the puzzle.

G-Force is my roller derby name. I've been playing derby since the modern revival got started (that was 2006 in Canada).

I'm really a bit too old for in now and am "semi-retired", meaning I still work out with (and sometimes play on) the Toronto RD farm team, and train the fresh meat. I have a Facebook page called Gentle Force Chain Maille Jewelry, the joke being I'm mellowing out with age. When/if I ever get a commercial business started that will be the name, unless it makes too many people assume I'm selling S&M toys. Which might be a good idea, actually.

Well, I ride an R6 and have since about the middle of my 7 years in Miramar, CA.  While I was stationed there, I had a reputation of being a Satanist, and even though I wasn't I played the part of it anyway, and had planned on changing the candy red paint scheme of my R6 into something more fitting of my reputation and renaming it the R666.  Never bothered to save the money for the paint job, but took up the username in a few locations.  Haven't had a problem with using it yet.

I had a bout of depression in younger years...afterwards I more or less lived in coffee shops all the time to rebuild people skills. I thought the name 'coffeeaddict' fit. I'm also a code monkey by trade...so a pot of coffee and several packets of instant oatmeal is always required in the morning to keep focus. :)