Trinity

Storage on the Go

I've been trying to find a way to store our rings when we hit up shows. We generally work while at shows so non-portable doesn't work (I have a nice set up for non-portable storage at home!) We used to use the art bins from Jo Anne's etc but we've had a LOT of problems with the rings intermixing! [talk about a ten hour sorting project!] I have mason jars set up but I'm worried they'll break in transit. We don't want to use ziplock style bags because it's cumbersome and really kind of a mess to carry around. I've been hunting for something like bins or jars that are easy to store and carry and don't get messed up like bags can. I love my Mason Jars I'm just worried they'll break and well that'd be a NIGHTMARE!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd be much appreciative.

Oh that is awesome! I can't tell if they'd be big enough to hold what we normally bring with us, but that's just pretty freaking neat! (I'm pretty sure we tend to bring the whole kit-n-caboodle with us some days)

Those are 1" dia. by 4" long plastic tubes, and a 50 shell bandolier is a standard size to start with. Overall you could bring a large bunch of rings along.

Oh yeah that's a decent size! Sorry! I'm a bad judge of size by looking :) And who says I can't bring multiples if it isn't enough? heeehee!

For trade shows I put my rings into ziplocked baggies, with color being a bag-subset and ring size being a bag-superset. They all are dumped into a smallish tote bag.

I use these. They're great. The individual compartments are removeable which is great when unpacking after a show. There is a built in handle and the top level has legs in the back so it won't tip backwards when opened. They also stack.

I've bought a few of these from frys for about 7 bucks each. They have really good storage dividers that ensure rings don't intermix by creating a kind of moat system. I can fit about 3 of them in a large tote bag that I carry with me when I anticipate being bored at a friends house.

http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

3704146.box.GIF

Sorry small size photo.

Each of the 12 compartments can fit about 500 rings (best guess, could be less; 1/4" 16 G), and the vertical dividers are removable so you can have 3 super long compartments also. As you can see, the lid has slots that accept the divider edges, so that rings can't slip between them. I have NEVER had rings get mixed, and I man handle these things. The 12 compartments are about 1.5" by 1.5" by 2" deep (again, best guess, I don't have it with me presently). Better for dividing colored rings and rings you don't use often. For ring sizes you need a lot of, best to use something else.

Edited by Mewpal

I just picked this up from Harbor Freight, and works pretty well for bringing some rings with me to work to work on during lunch.

http://www.harborfre...-box-90243.html

image_15250.jpg

The individual boxes are 2"x2"x1" roughly. I took about half out for going to work, so that way I can include my piece-in-progress in the box, as well as my pliers.

Edited by Zolsta

I use these. They're great. The individual compartments are removeable which is great when unpacking after a show. There is a built in handle and the top level has legs in the back so it won't tip backwards when opened. They also stack.

This is actually what our big box is! But I need like 34830984 more XD I was looking for some smaller solutions so I don't have to carry too many more bulky items.

I just picked this up from Harbor Freight, and works pretty well for bringing some rings with me to work to work on during lunch.

http://www.harborfre...-box-90243.html

image_15250.jpg

The individual boxes are 2"x2"x1" roughly. I took about half out for going to work, so that way I can include my piece-in-progress in the box, as well as my pliers.

Ooh this is kind of what I'm looking for! They'd fit nicely in the small bins we bring. We try to pack as MUCH stuff in as possible, but the stupid normal trays just end up totally mixed! */

If you really like mason jars and are just afraid of breakage, why not use some of the plastic screw-top jars available for kids' lunches?

You know I've never seen those? But I don't really look for that kind of thing either. I could look for that, too. I love the mason jars because of their size, they're so big they fit entire stock of things!

You know I've never seen those? But I don't really look for that kind of thing either. I could look for that, too. I love the mason jars because of their size, they're so big they fit entire stock of things!

I'm happy to have brought them to your attention.

baby food jars!!!!!!! the lids stay on, they are clear glass, they can hold a tiny to medium amount, and they can easily be stored in just about anything. i currently use a plastic toolbox i got from the dollar store it holds about 8 jars and my three sets of pliers

I don't have them yet but just ordered plastic rectangular containers on ebay that each have 7 individual sections that I thought would be good not only for storing rings but also for loading projects to take with me. I got them from 8seasons who seem to have the best prices. I ordered them with rings in them but when I commented on the lovely boxes they emailed me with bid deals available just for the boxes. Not sure what I will make from the rings included with my order (1500/box) cause I know they are not the same quality as from TRL....thinking of making curtains and wall-hangings from them but have to see them first.

We ended up buying three of the big bins and two small ones from Home Depot - they stack, have handles and dont mix the rings. I need one more and then we just shuffle bins depending what we want to bring.

image_15250.jpg

Haha, Zolsta beat me to it. I use a bunch of these. :) They are the most awesome thing ever. Ever!!! I also picked up one of these the last time I was in HF: http://www.harborfre...-box-40528.html They're good if you have bigger rings (ie. 14 or 16 SWG) that you want to bring along but you don't need tons and tons. I was thinking that each box was all one compartment - and some of them are - but some are also split into compartments. I haven't used the compartmented ones yet though to know if rings migrate.

Edited by Jax25

The second link is very much like what we used to use but the rings did migrate on us. The boxes we got from Home Depot don't migrate unless you really work at it - plus they're decently sturdy which is good since I'm, REALLY rough on stuff XD I was looking into the first one you and Zolsta linked but since we pretty much bring everything with us that's harder for us to transport >.<

Looking at those home depot ones, I wouldn't like them. I like things where you can take individual compartments with you and mix and match. But hey, if you like them, that's what matters! :)

Looking at those home depot ones, I wouldn't like them. I like things where you can take individual compartments with you and mix and match. But hey, if you like them, that's what matters! :)

Ah see If I only take one or two with me, I mix and match the bins since they come out. XD