Benbu

Spiders and webs and magnets, oh my?

Ok, so another idea of that I'd like to make for a friend popped into my head this afternoon at work. Make a chain spider's web (like in the attachment), and include magnets at the ends of the strands, and where the strands cross.

The only problem I can think of would be the weight, as I'd be most interested in making it out of stainless steel. If I was to use the .04" 5/32" to make byz chains, would the magnetic claps at the top of (http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=169&cat=Clasps) work to hold the web up (was thinking it would be 1-1.5 feet across), or would I need more magnets/clasps than I was thinking?

Oh. I guess I could also include more magnet claps at the midpoints of the connecting web strands, to help them keep the arch...

Also, any thoughts on how to make a spider would be appreciated. :)

post-15984-0-63795900-1346202042_thumb.png

I like the concept. I agree that Titanium would be best for strength and weight. BA may be a good idea too. If you end up going with SS, I would suggest using neodymium magnets to compensate for the increased weight. It doesn't take much with them to get the job done.

Neodymium magnets larger than a few cubic centimeters are strong enough to cause injuries to body parts pinched between two magnets, or a magnet and a metal surface, even causing broken bones.

Strong and small. I think they would work well in your concept.

Sadly, Ti's looking a little expensive for my wallet. Anybody have any idea if stainless and the magnet clasps would work?

Stainless is frequently non-magnetic, or at least so weak that it might as well be...but that being said, I have found some of TRL's stainless rings to occasionally be magnetic (I don't mean on and off, of course!)

Duh me, sorry... One reason i'm not always a good dm. I keep forgetting people don't know things that I haven't told them, because I know them :P

I was going to attach magnet clasps to the web strands/ends so the whole thing could be attached to, say, a refrigerator, or something similar.

I had figured that. I kind of pictured several modular strands that could be rearranged into different webs. Maybe even use something like BuckeyCubes to connect to the clasp ends.

https://www.getbuckyballs.com/order/buckycubes/

Something like that would make for an interesting cubical/office novelty. Could even be used in classrooms for projects and magnetic demonstrations.

The 12mm Clasps that the Ring Lord sells, might be enough to hold it, but even they are probably not strong enough to hold up that much Stainless. Just with my limited experience though.

I think Aluminum would be more than strong enough for that application though, and then colours!

Edited by Datharian

As for makeing the spyder I would use a different medium, it should be a fairly easy to find and transform a spyder earing or necklase from holloween jewlery. or look for something higher quality on Etsy. a little E6000 to a clasp or magnet and your good to go.

If you want to make it yourself a jewlers saw can cut thin detailed bits in metal fairly cheap from TRL if its your first time with a jewlers saw buy a gross of blades. They snap with little force in the wrong direction or wear out quickly expecialy if its your first time better blades will last longer but cost a little more from other suppliers. once you figure in shipping its not worth it unless you doing a bit of cut work.

Not all magnets are created equal.

Some jewlery clasps use very low end magnets I lost a very fine box braclet in .023 steel wire with a walmart clasp...

If your buying from a brick and mortar pull them apart to check strenth.

The quality on TRL's magnetic clasps are good, another option would be to salvage the magnets from old computer hard drives. once you do the math on time it's cheaper to buy them.

take out the calculator and do the math or use someone else code.

By my count you have roughly 48 junctions where you plan to add magnets with each magnet holding at most 7" of chain.

http://www.zlosk.com/~zlosk/maille/jewelry.html I used the 2 connector byz. formula.

then cross referance with the TRL's material data for rougly 19 guage stainless at 5/32" for 280 rings per ounce.

So lets round everything off and call it 1/2 of an ounce per magnet.

I assume the spider will be on its own magnet and moveing around the web other wise you can simply put the spider near the middle where each magnet is holding much less chain.