madd-vyking

Weird, random chainmaille projects...

Does anybody else ever find themselves fixing things that could be fixed with regular hardware with chainmaille, for no other good reason but that you know how to do it? This is my third or fourth such project, that I've invested far more time in than I could have, pretty much just...because.

The first pic is a return spring/chain for a screen door that has been broken several times...thought I'd throw a piece of JPL-4 in there, made from SS 16g1/4 and see if that lasts awhile longer.

Second pic is an extension I made for a hanging veggie basket in the kitchen (never mind the horrible wallpaper, please!), it was too high for the little people in the fam to reach...just a chunk of JPL-3, in I don't remember what size, but made from copper or bronze.

I've also made a chain to replace a broken one in a leaky toilet (I'll spare ya'll pics of the inside of my toilet!), a pull down for an attic door, and have it in the back of my mind to replace all the drawstrings on the ceiling fans in my house...someday.

Surely someone else out there can relate?

post-6814-0-12222000-1346872096_thumb.jpg

post-6814-0-10001900-1346872116_thumb.jpg

We have moved into a rental townhouse with basement ceiling lights with the little string on them. Yup, they're going to be replaced by maille (metal where it touches the bulb and EPDM where it touches fingers).

I don't find many things that need replacement chains yet... however I have used individual rings to "fix" other things.

A flat washer from a dish washer fractured and would no longer let the door close. It was a simple fix just to add a ring of the correct WD and ID.

Also, all the keys on my keychain are metal-coded to what they unlock. I have brass, steel, alum, and bronze rings for my keys.

I've also made some springs (uncut coils) to repair a couple things as well.

Not really weird but I did replace my father-in-law's wallet chain that kept breaking while on his motorcycle with a HP3-1 chain out of 16g 1/4 SS. Of course the very next time he was on his bike the chain caught and ripped his belt loop and back pocket off ( I did try to warn him he would't want it as long because it wouldn't break as easy as his pants LOL).

Being new to this I have to say no, I haven't... but I am now looking at all my fan pull chains and plant hangers and coming up with ideas...

Edited by Katlee

I work as general maintenance, and wire is ALWAYS in my tool box.

Replaced a few carter pins, split rings, washers, and have even used some strait wire with a hook as an improvised snake for clogged drains.

Always get "the look" when I bring out my tool box after saying "I'll figure something out and get it working". There have been a few times that I know that my fix will work before doing it (experience), but I have to tell my manager "I have to get creative with this. It will work, just be creative."

Ohhh, the pull chains for the ceiling fans are a good idea! I have 3 ceiling fans, soon to be 4 and they could use snazzy chains. :)

Oh, yeah, made zipper pulls for my leathers, one of the first projects I ever did. Much easier to grab with a gloved hand. 'Prolly work real nice on ski gear, too...and, hell, why not your favorite jeans?

ok dont laugh... i made a fuze for a old 76 thunderbird i wish i still had the pic but i worked perfictly until the whole thing died on us a few years back

We live in a horrible basement apartment in a city with three radio stations within walking distance and we get next to no signal. I have made a mini chainmail antenna and stuck it out the window... It works wonders now!

Ya know, I think I'll not let my hubby know about this... who knows what he'll ask me to make for him for his shop if I do! (and before you think I might owe him for stuff he's done for me, I'm still waiting for my desk and my craft organizer shelves he promised to make me about 4 years ago. heh)

Ya know, I think I'll not let my hubby know about this... who knows what he'll ask me to make for him for his shop if I do! (and before you think I might owe him for stuff he's done for me, I'm still waiting for my desk and my craft organizer shelves he promised to make me about 4 years ago. heh)

If you want those things made sooner, just have your inventory "spill" into his space. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll get your desk and organizer. Then again, you could do what my dad did to my brother and tell him it's not possible. Then brother would do it to prove he could.

Edited by Brimley's Mom

If only either of those worked. heh Well, the having my stuff 'spill' into his space would sort of be doable with some of it, but not most of my jewelry/rings stuff. At least I got him to buy me a stop-gap desk in the mean time, so it's worked so far. One of these days when he's out of town, I'm just gonna start making the stuff myself, honestly (like I did with the cat scratcher thing). THAT usually gets him to do stuff! :D (his mother really ruined him that way, she always tried the little tricks on him... he just doesn't fall for it, he could care less)