skiff

help with an odd project

i am wanting to put jap 8/1 on mt car. i have no problems making it, just getting it on the car. its an old car so its all steel and ill be using steel rings. im not wanting the whole car covered, just the front fenders or so. if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreatite help.

i have all sorts of ideas. what sort of ideas are you looking for??? attaching them??

if i were doing it, i'd mark on the car where i wanted the maille using something like a sharpie, oil pencil, etc.. then make the maille. that's the easy part.

to attach it to the car, what i'd probably do, or would have done before making any attempt at starting, is find a trim piece, probably in chrome, though plastic is also an option, that would cover where the maille is attached. something like the finishing trim pieces they used to put around the edge of the fender, only larger so it could cover sheet metal screws and washers (likely what i'd use to attach it) more or less seamlessly. then i would have it filled with some form of silicone or other sealant because (in the north) that sucker is gonna get crammed full of water, slush, salt, sand and everything else (small rodents/children) and i'd like to prevent that as much as possible.

and stainless/titanium are really the only options for something like this. anything else is gonna be too flimsy or too corrosion prone.

out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?

its a 78 olds delta 88. its soon to be black i thought if i kept the mail polishes itd look prety good and diffrent. i like the screws idea, but maybe bolts if i can find some with a cool looking head on them. can you all think of somthing that would look or work better than the jap 8/1? and any ideas are welcome.

I would think that using some trim around the edges would be needed. If you do that, you canmount the maille and trim with rivets through the trim and maille into the body. When the rivets are pulled tight, they will sandwich the maille between the trim and body, making a tight mount.

Another option would be to weld or braze the maille on, then add the trim to cover the edges of the maille.

you may want to go buy a bra for your car then you can size everything, it will give you the correct trim and lining ... oh yeah and it will attach exactly the way you need it to ...

may be haha

Watching this because that might be a neat idea on my old Buick. heh I would think you'd want it removable in some way. A bra might be an idea, you could attach it to the bra instead. Don't know if you can get a bra for a Delta 88, though.

can you all think of somthing that would look or work better than the jap 8/1? and any ideas are welcome.

I could suggest a pattern like my profile picture. It is Byzantine / Birdsnest. If you are going with black paint under the maille, the SS rings will stand out, and it will make for an interesting effect in the open area's.