VictoryChains

To Etsy, or not to Etsy, that is the question

Lysenis, what we are talking about is not Artistic Wire's or Parawire's EC. That stuff is great to use. Yes, it has a layer of silver between the enamel and the copper, but this is to heighten the colour of the enamel. So while they call their wire silver plated enamel copper, it is not the silver plated wire we are talking about. We are meaning wire that is sold as a substitute for solid stirling, wire that is just a layer of silver over some other metal. So no worries, Parawire and Artistic Wire are good to use and sorry for any confusion. Also, I believe all of Parawire's wire has a clear coat on it to give it better protection (I don't know for sure whether Artist Wire does this also, but I would expect that they do), so even their wire that is just silver plate over copper with no enamel should be coated to prevent tarnishing; so, again, no worries about Parawire.

Edited by Narrina

OHHHHH So silver plated with a color coat is still good. . . WHEW!!!! You guys had me WORRIED! I am a strict quality monger and that goes for the wire I use as well!

OHHHHH So silver plated with a color coat is still good. . . WHEW!!!! You guys had me WORRIED! I am a strict quality monger and that goes for the wire I use as well!

Sorry about that!  Ya, any time EC is meant we just call it EC and not silver plate (even if it is silver plated EC, as it would be soooooo confusing to specify between EC, SP EC, and SP), so when you see us referring to silver plate, we just mean regular silver plate wire and not the silver plated enameled copper.

Competing by lower prices lowers prices on the market and leads nowhere.

If ones ambition is making meters of byzatine and selling with extremely low profit - well...good luck.

Every site like etsy or ebay ends like that - "gimme the cheapest one". Mediocre quality is enough, provided the price is low... Orginality is lost in a stack of copycats.

For every artist etsy/ebay should be just optional.

Because original and customary products require finding ...original and customary clients =)

It`s easier to create "hype" for products, if one is living in a city and is a sociable person. Going to parties, events, lending products for fees or advertising.

Try making friends with photographers, stylists, journalists. People are often looking for something original for some special events. Chainmail corset for a wedding ? Well, why not ?

Lending chainmail is profitable - apart from standard fee, you have to add cost of tumbling/cleaning after use, adjustment of a piece of chainmail to a persons measurements, maybe a cost of driving to the event and helping to put chainmail on properly, to avoid damaging it.

Very often you may want to take a deposit, and after you sum up all the costs...your client decides to buy your piece instead ^_^

But first of all you have to have a range of different, original products, superb quality. That is a must.

Not Etsy and not aluminium, but to illustrate branding, here is a $55 rubber and brass euro cuff from Biko Jewelry. You can get a brass and rubber half persian for $48. All they're missing are the glamorous models. (ETA: Found them here.) Brand will increase your price on Etsy, but having "collections" on your own site and getting large upmarket online boutiques to sell them is better!

DoubleChainmailleBracelets_ALL_1_large.j

Watched a vendor of distinctly mediocre jewellery at weekly markets in my town, after some years through superb marketing/branding/presentation they have just opened a shop and are advertising on telly. I'm impressed.

Excellent quality and design is definitely a help; combined with hard work and marketing and sales will follow - I've seen many examples of this. [Even tho I don't have the energy/time for a proper sustaining business I really need to take my own advice about marketing. I just want to make stuff! :( ]

Edited by calyx

Not Etsy and not aluminium, but to illustrate branding, here is a $55 rubber and brass euro cuff from Biko Jewelry. You can get a brass and rubber half persian for $48. All they're missing are the glamorous models. (ETA: Found them here.) Brand will increase your price on Etsy, but having "collections" on your own site and getting large upmarket online boutiques to sell them is better!

DoubleChainmailleBracelets_ALL_1_large.j

Watched a vendor of distinctly mediocre jewellery at weekly markets in my town, after some years through superb marketing/branding/presentation they have just opened a shop and are advertising on telly. I'm impressed.

Excellent quality and design is definitely a help; combined with hard work and marketing and sales will follow - I've seen many examples of this. [Even tho I don't have the energy/time for a proper sustaining business I really need to take my own advice about marketing. I just want to make stuff! :( ]

Calyx..

Funny I just saw those types of bracelets in my workplace in the cheapo section for 1 dollar. Granted they are horrible quality but I know lots of people will probably buy them.

Here is something you can look in to that I do. I'm in the SCA (www.sca.org). The SCA is everywhere and have events constently. I pay a membership fee of $30 a year. It's usually about $15 to get into the event for the weekend. You usually end up selling on Friday and Saturday. There are some events that are a week or two long. I usually bring in anywhere from $500-$1500 in a single event depending on the event.

-Krig