madd-vyking

Inventory/Stock Serial Numbering System?

I am thinking of implementing a system for numbering jewelry items to keep in a reference catalog, and am wondering if anyone else has done this and what your ideas may be on the subject. It might include info like 1> the item type(say necklace, bracelet, earrings, etc) 2> primary construction material (stainless, silver, copper, etc) 3> production date 4> an individual serial #. 5> Other info (any ideas for other things to include in this #?) I'd like to include some of the big general data in this number, so if I look it up I can tell just quickly by the number, oh yeah, that was a silver bracelet I made back in Sept of 2012, but not to include the very specific data, like ring counts, weight, length, cost to produce etc...that I need to keep but don't want to bog down this number in that way.

I am thinking something like first number/character tells you the "x", second number character tells you the "y", etc..., and ending up with a number like 00001 (first, say, bracelet made). I'd like room for an expanding catalog, without going completely overboard and really over complicating things.

I have been keeping all of this info in a notebook but it is getting unmanageable, it's time to go digital.

Any body else got a system? Any ideas? Is there a simpler way to go about this?

Also---Is there a single word for the process of compiling materials/labor/etc costs when "invoicing" (that's not the right word, I don't think?) or pricing an item? Seems like there is or should be, but I'm blanking...

Don't know if it'll help, but for my art, my serial number consists of the following:

Initials of the painting name + size+ surface + medium + date finished (yy/mm/dd) + C if it's a commissioned piece.

So, for example, my "Bon the Shop Dog" paint has a labeled serial number of the following: BTSD1114SCA071221. That means "Bon The Shop Dog" on 11x14 inch Stretched Canvas with Acrylic paint and finished on 12/21/07 (or, rather, 2007, December 21).

I keep this in an excel sheet (just easier for me to use, I love columns and rows!). You likely don't have names for your pieces, but you could always start with the weave, then move on to the length of it, what rings are used (maybe AA20532 for anodized aluminum in 20g 5/32") and the date it was finished.

I put this into the spreadsheet along with all the other information I do want to keep as well (some of it the information in the serial number, and some other stuff like who bought it, if it's been paid for, how much it was, etc).

Hope this helps. I like the excel because I can then sort it by serial number or by date finished or by person it's sold to, etc. You could have columns for how many rings you used, how much time it took, what material it's made of, etc.

Cali--yeah, definitely not my favorite part of doing this, but I need some sort of organization, so I'm thinking once i have this in place it will help. Bunch of work now, much helpful later--hopefully.

Katlee--yeah, that's pretty much what I'm lookin' at, wonderin' what others may specifically had done, and figurin' on using excel...

If you plan to use Excel, put each field in a separate cell and then concatenate them for the serial number. That will allow you to sort on any aspect of the piece.

Using Katlee's example, each of these would be in a separate cell:

Cell Contents

A1 BTSD

B1 1114

C1 SC

D1 A

E1 071221

Cell F1 would be =concatenate(A1,B1,C1,D1,E1) BTSD1114SCA071221

Make sure Columns A through E are set as text only so you don't lose any leading zeroes (like on the date).

Make sure Column F is set as general or the concatenate won't work.

This will allow you to easily sort on any column. For example, if you want to see all the paintings on 11x14, you would just sort on column B.

Excel is a wonderful program and I know I don't even know an 1/8th of what it does! heh Also look at 'locking' your top row with your catagories (Brimley's Mom might be able to say how off the top of her head, sounds like she uses it to it's actual potential, I just play with it), it makes it easier when you start getting a big catalog of things.

excel is a little heavy for what you need, but if you already have it, by all means use it. If you don't, there are quite a few free options, including the just as heavy OpenOffice.org Calc, Google Docs, Gnumeric, etc.

Also---Is there a single word for the process of compiling materials/labor/etc costs when "invoicing" (that's not the right word, I don't think?) or pricing an item? Seems like there is or should be, but I'm blanking...

Accounting? Backend? Overhead?