heckle

leathercraft

Gods alive sewing leather is difficult. Does anyone has any ideas to make it easier?

I'm punching the holes with an awl and sewing it with a saddle stitch. 2 needles.

It's a pain, that's for sure. Are you poking both sides of the leather? I've found making the hole from one side, and then the other really helps. The holes kind of close up a little afterward anyway, so you can make them larger than you actually need. Alternatively, if you have a very small punch you could just punch holes to sew with (holes won't close the same way, so make sure it's a small punch).

I poked the hole in one side then used a small drill to make it stay open. When I'm done its getting boiled and wet formed to stiffen it up some.

Main trick i would suggest is a good sharp awl (diamond section preferably), make sure you piece the leather fully and leave a hole larger than the needle, this will close as you work the leather so only do 3-5 holes ahead a most.

Use a stiff blunt needle with smooth circular head (not elongated), if using synthetic sinew (mt preference) split it down into at least 3 strands (the thinner the better really) and if using linen make sure you wax the heck out of it, use short lengths and not overly thick thread.

HTH

N.

This actually made me laugh out loud. ... I find it fairly easy, but I use a leather punch to make my holes .. I love working on leather (small amounts that it is so far) everything just grows so fast!

I tell my leatherworking friends all the time "What do you mean? I make chainmail, a 1000 stitches? That's less than a square foot! and I can be done in a DAY? .. ROFL literally"

I do however have multiple blood blistered fingertips .. better than dual hand cramps .. :)

Get a leather hole punch from tandy or wherever .. much faster and then it's just 1 2 zip..

I can't really afford anything new at the time I might get enough from a 1911 holster to buy a good awl or punch. I'm using waxed polyester because its what I have. For my amt sa 380 backup holster I used power pro microfilament braided fishing line with a 50lb test. It looks really good and since its an old junker gun with retired leather from a jacket I didn't care about its service length.

Edited by heckle

If you can get a pony to stitch for you, then you should have both hands still free to maille! Almost as good as a helper monkey...

what thickness leather are you working with? For thicker leather 8+ oz I mark the locations of the holes with the awl and then drill the holes with a hand held drill. I try to find a drill bit the same diameter as the sewing needles I am using and it works well. If I cant find the right size drill bit, I have been known to put a spare needle in the drill and use it as a drill bit.

Other then boiling it in wax, how else could I stiffen 4 oz split leather? Is it a lost cause? This is 40 year old leather that was rescued from an old coat that was going to be thrown away. I don't want rock hard just as stiff as I can get short of wax.

Random tip I find useful: A spike, rubber mallet, pliers and stiff as hell foam over the table top with a hard protective layer under it. I have messed with leather before, mostly repairing saddles and I would just put the leather on the table over the stiff foam, take a spike and hammer that sucker through, pull the spike out with the pliers and then put my sewing needle through it. Cheap solution I know, but if it works!

I ended up boiling it in water then putting it in the clothes dryer on high heat. I put it on the rack so it wouldn't tumble. In between the water and the dryer I formed it with a vacuum bag for an hour. Turned out stiff but not quite what I wanted. It wasn't sealed but it is ugly leather. It's got a bunch of dark stripes on the back and the front it faded in spots. Boiling evened the color and darkened it some.

The nice piece I have now looks impossable to stitch the way I did last time since its twice as thick. I think I may just buy a groover and a diamond shaped stitching chisel. A 6 prong and a 2 prong should do me.