tacobob

how do you do it?

For most Euro based weaves I like to have the piece on a table in front of me, or in my lap if there is no table. I pick it up and flip it around because I'm comfortable with the weave. With others, like half persian weaves and JPL, I like to have the piece sitting static on a table so I can see the weave more clearly, as some do not hold shape well until sufficiently long enough or at correct aspect ratios (ratio of wire width to rind diameter). I taught myself how to make chainmail with a hanging rig, but as I did it more it quickly became second nature to keep the weave in check. If it helps you I say go for it, but I think you'll not like having your piece free to manipulate.

I usually work off my "toolbox" (Quotations due to the lack of tools inside) which is simply an old PSP case. Most often I keep it in my lap, sometimes using one leg to press it against the arm of the couch or chair I'm sitting in, to bring it closer.

For me, nothing beats a wide, open surface. Due to space constraints in my workshop (i.e. it's a cluttered mess I have yet to clean up, from another project), I'm currently using the island in my kitchen.

I've got a table that I have jacked up about 6 inches. This makes it the perfect height for me to work on things comfortably. Once in a while I'll work on the couch on a wallet chain or something.

So far I've been just holding it in my hands, lets me feel the piece properly, can run my fingers over it and make sure everything is laying right. When I do put it down I just place it on my leg for the moment to get the next ring ready. Tried to use a flat surface but with my near non-existent vision I would lose track of where I was, so just holding the section I'm working on in my hand works just fine. . .annoying when I drop it but it's not too hard for me to find my place again. . .it's the rings that escape me when my project falls that come back to bite me, normally in the foot as soon as I stand up.

I should also mention this likely works well for me because I only have to use one set of pliers most the time, have this nifty little ring that fits over the tip of my index finger with slots to help me open and close the rings without having to really let go of my project.

Edited by Blind Maille

For me, it's mostly either hands/lap or on the computer desk - My keyboard is in the middle rather than all the way to the front.

Hands/lap and/or desk person myself. I don't need or like my maille fastened to anything while I'm working on it. If I'm just starting off a weave, I put a starter chain of 2-1 on it just to give it enough length to grip in my hand but that's it. I happily weave without anything under me...though I do drop a lot of rings on the dog (he likes to sleep under my desk chair).

Hi.

I personally have different setups depending on the situation.

1. Large cutting mat when using someone elses table or my laptop as work surface.

2. Styrofoam piece clad in leather. The reason for using leather is because when using needles to stretch the weave it prevents damage to the styrofoam.

3. Wireframe with paper masking tape when working micromail.

4. Not in picture. Tailors doll.

5. Live women. :biggrin:

6. My kids. :biggrin:

BR

/C

DSC_0427.JPG

Floor hmm? You know, most of my rings end up on the floor anyway...perhaps I should remove the middleman and just mail there. :D Too bad it would kill my back.

I work at my kitchen table. I have it set up so I can work either standing or sitting. If I work sitting, I work on the table on a bead mat. If I work standing, I work on a couple of stacked shelves I found that are the perfect height for me (plus the table under them). My laptop is on top of the shelves no matter if I am sitting or standing. The shelves give me room to store stuff I'm working on, as well as piles of crap and papers. My back lit keyboard is underneath the shelves.

All my supplies are in a couple of large wooden cabinets to my left. Next to them live my 12 hermit crabs...I like to watch them at night when they are most active b/c they are very entertaining little creatures. :D

The only downside of me taking over half the table is that we can't sit down and eat together as a family (me, hubs and 2 kids). I'm usually at the table working while they eat in the living room.

I tend to drop my HP3-1 chains a lot(especially when they get longer), so my girlfriend suggested I get a lanyard and work with it attached to that...ever since I started doing that, I haven't had any problems...well, at least when I drop it, it's still right there...rather than having to get up and pick it up off the floor.

I tend to drop my HP3-1 chains a lot(especially when they get longer), so my girlfriend suggested I get a lanyard and work with it attached to that...ever since I started doing that, I haven't had any problems...well, at least when I drop it, it's still right there...rather than having to get up and pick it up off the floor.

I hope for your sake that one of those chains doesn't decide to aim for a certain sensitive part of your anatomy one of these times. No doubt that the lanyard helps you avoid dropping it, my mind just went right to the chances of Murphy's law coming into effect and the unfortunate side effects of it.