bikepartjewelry

What NEW things have you tried lately?

Let's keep this to maille only, cuz I totally know where my mind went. :o

New for me:

Tried Hoodoo and failed, but I think I need to try it with larger rings so I can see what I'm doing.

Tried Symmetrical allure sheet and am still working on it. I was at the bowling alley with my kid for his weekly homeschool bowling league when I tried making it, so the lighting sucked. I'm going to continue it tonight.

I'm in process of making an Orbital Berus pendant, but the instructions I have are pretty difficult to follow. Anyone know how to make this one? Once I figure it out (and I have time...hahahahahahaha....*dies laughing*) I'll make a clearer tut for it. It's really pretty and I'm looking for new pendants to make. People seem to like them in the stores I'm in.

I completed the scale construction of the bra, but am working on figuring out why it's not doing what it should be doing, which is supporting.

I printed out a bunch of weave tuts last night and have plans to try them eventually. I tired of the weaves I know and want to learn something new and pretty. :D

Fails.

1. Tungsten rings. BIG fail and it hurts.

2. SWG, AWG confusion when making rings for a byzantine in titanum. Went for the wrong 14 gauge (SWG) that threw me off by 0,5 mm. Hard closing kerf on 2 mm Ti grade 1 rings.

3. Going to GF tommorow so no mailling.

Hard.

Zirconium rings. Can be handsawed but this metal feels harder than Ti Grade 5.

Success.

Brass loves me. Working on my halterneck.

BR

/C

new hmmm...

success-RSD bracelets , ok weave looks cute but I am not sure I like it.

failure(temporary Ihope)-thought about JPL, actually tried got frustrated and gave up, and move to the above weave, I think the rings were the wrong AR and I just wasn't motivated, too many other things to do distracting me, I will get it eventually...maybe

(too soon to tell)-started sketching ideas for my pink armor, will include coif with mantle, fitted shirt with a combo of scales and chain mail in a corset like design and scale chaps.

-also working on design for Scale mail Lolita style armor.

JPL. only because i never had workable AR rings to try it in before.

I think getting the right size rings is the hardest part of learning JPL. After I have the right rings it just flows together.

I've been recently been playing with scales. I have a tie, and a hand flower that came out really nice. I want to try doing a dice bag, but I'm not sure how flexible it would be. I also am not sure how to make it close. I'll have to work on it more. Oh, the hardships of life.

Comparing and contrasting Bore Worm vs. Reinforced Inverted Round.

Staggered Bore Worm Sheet.

Quad Bore Worm.

Quad Reinforced Inverted Round.

(these three weaves were just injected into the m.a.i.l. database yesterday!)

Quint Bore Worm.

Quint Reinforced Inverted Round.

Sex Bore Worm.

Sept Bore Worm.

Pictures of the latter ones forthcoming in an article I'm working on.

I think getting the right size rings is the hardest part of learning JPL. After I have the right rings it just flows together.

I've been recently been playing with scales. I have a tie, and a hand flower that came out really nice. I want to try doing a dice bag, but I'm not sure how flexible it would be. I also am not sure how to make it close. I'll have to work on it more. Oh, the hardships of life.

scales make great dice bags , just use the scales for the sides(tube of scales) and chain for the bottom and around the top. good luck.

I have been doing some square lately. Just remember the AR is different. If you are using 18 ga, pretend it's 16 ga for the same size to get the AR. I tried 18 5/32 and it is too tight in square to use for anything (2.7 AR). In round wire it is 3.4 AR.

I FINALLY accomplished JPL. :) For years and years (ok, I've only been mailling since 2006, but still, seems like years and years...) I've been putting it off because I was too lazy to make small enough rings. I happened to order a few extra 18 ga 1/8" from TRL with my last order because a friend wanted some BA rings that size and so set about learning it. Super easy weave. Who knew? :D Other than that, nothing really new. Just been making jewelry and putzing around on my large ongoing projects. Oh yeah...and I got some small square wire rings that I've been making a byz something out of (not sure if it will be bracelet or necklace) and I really like them.

Since I've found what seems to be a workable method of expanding a sheet of scales, I have torn apart most of my aluminum scale shirt to see if a mantle top pattern is possible. (It WAS 90% complete but I just HAD to try this... :rolleyes:... :whistle:)

Also about 10,000 rings into a 1/4 in. 16 gauge ss haubergeon. My previous ones have been galvy with 3/8 or 5/16 in rings.

Haven't been around in a while. but I did have a serious D'OH moment today that turned out pretty awesome

For some reason I took off my titanium permie bracelet today whilst cleaning the kitchen. In the process of cleaning up and moving it I put it on a burner. After the kitchen was clean I put my pot on the stove to start my broth. Turned on the burner and walked away for a moment. Wrong burner I come back after a minute and the front burner was glowing a bright red hot. I grabbed a pair of tongs and drop the bracelet into the dishwater.

When I finally dug it out it had the most enthralling array of colors all over. From what I can tell the parts of the bracelet (and rings) that were in direct contact with the burner turned a deep violet blue. the rest of the contact rings are a paler but still deep blue. rings that weren't in contact changed color but it's not uniform.

It turned out so nice I immediately took off my matching necklace and laid it out on the burner and repeated it!

The pieces were originally the bronze and gold titanium. But since the bracelet was a permie (I took it off only half a dozen times that i remember, i.e. wedding and an xray). The necklace I rarely took off as well. For the abuse I put them through I appreciated how long the color endured, but I was disappointed how quickly the vibrancy had diminished. An aluminum pride permie lasted all of 10 days before looking like hell with my abuse and skin chemistry. You could tell after they'd been recently cleaned with soap the difference in color under close observation... But... they were getting dull. Now I'm back in love with them!