firewarden

Male necklace - Ideas??

Hi, for 2 years I have been trying to make a necklace for myself. I have tried byzantine in all different size rings and rubber, box chain etc.

Everything looks too feminine and I wind up selling it to a woman. Any ideas what would make a good male maille necklace?

A lot of it depends on what you consider to be masculine. I made a good friend of mine a 20g 1/8" or 5/32" blue aTi necklace in inverted roundmaille. He loves it and it looks great on him. When I think of necklaces for men, copper/brass/bronze and stainless come to mind immediately.

Persian Dragonscale makes a really nice necklace and can be made in 16g rings, which I think, in that weave, looks quite masculine.

Vipera Berus 4-1 and Viper Basket would make nice masculine weaves using larger rings.

Can't go wrong with a good Byzantine. It's what I wear. I originally only made it to show the fact that I can make maille (sort of a free advertising thing), but I eventually realized that I actually liked it. That was years ago. I never take it off. I'm not really a jewelry kind of guy, but I feel weird without my chain.

As a general rule, I only work with stainless. I have a sort of...thing...against "precious metals" and what they represent. It's also the case that stainless is widely accepted as "a guy thing". The only thing I would suggest is a larger gauge. My neckchain is 18g 5/32 Byzantine and it looks great. I think going lower than that would produce the "feminine" look you're talking about. I also like Half Persian, when the mood strikes me.

Try Maille Artisans International League. They've got hundreds of weaves on file; you should be able to find something you like.

The first question is what makes a chain look feminine to you? Is it size, or is it the weave? If it is a weave problem hit m.a.i.l and find one that looks good to you. Nothing like having a couple of hundred pictures of different weaves to give you a good idea. If it is ring size then pick bigger ones and try again.

I have a HP3-1 made out of 16g stainless steel that was originally designed as a wallet chain that I wear a lot. Nice thick gauge with plenty of weight plus with the release I have on it it doubles as a get-back LOL.

Hi.

For myself i do fat JPL links.

Made one recently in 2.5 mm sterling that unfortunaly my girlfriend stole from me :biggrin:

I just wait until her neck starts hurting since it is nearly 300 grams.

JPL cant be wrong if it is fat enough but i love the designs i seen in here.

br

C