Pyreheart

Armored Hoodie Project

If I may chime in, not as an armorer, but as a costumer. Your desire is for this hoodie to provide a somewhat inconspicuous layer of armor against bladed attack. The tensile strength of the fabric of the hoodie is not going to stand up against the weight of the mail, meaning that it will not lie against your body (and especially against your head) like a hoodie would. Also as someone pointed out previously, the mail will very quickly wear through the fabric.

If I can offer a possible solution: incorporating the mail into a leather jacket would stand up to both the weight and the abrasion while looking more natural. The leather would also make the mail more resistant to direct stabbing.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Konstantin: I looked up the Trevor Barker shirt, and it cleared up a few problems I was having with expanding and contracting maille. Thanks! Also, I'm looking into a few options to make the sleeves work better at the elbows, Thanks for the heads-up.

Milquetoast: The picture you put up helps a lot! It actually explains the figure in your instructions that I didn't understand! Good idea about the sock-sleeves :).

Hilstad: I am not familiar with leather working, sadly... Maybe if the hoodie were made of a sturdy cloth, like Denim? I intend to have an inner and outer layer of cloth, so I can have a tough layer on the inside and a softer one on the outside. Good feedback though!

Update: I'm looking at 16g 3/8" spring temper steel and punched rings for the material, and a European Hauberk Construction (with a few alterations to resolve problems that have been brought up). I'm hoping to place an order soon, so if anyone has any suggestions regarding ring size, speak up! :)

(Also, did some math. Giving a rough estimate of 12 square feet of material to build the hoodie, and with the stats TRL has given me, I should be able to purchase the necessary rings and washers at $166 before shipping. Boo-Yah)

Design: I don't know how fond everyone is of Koine Greek, but I was thinking of putting a word on the front of the hoodie. It means "a load" or "burden". Thoughts? http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=a%29%2Fxqos&la=greek&can=a%29%2Fxqos0

Edited by Pyreheart

Since im Greek i say go for it.

If i can quote the father from my big fat greek wedding movie. "Armored hoodies were invented by th Greeks" :-P

Br

C

Carolides: Sadly, I am not Greek... but I am willing to concede the point if need be. :D

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking for my rig: http://www.theringlo...e/5355-theory1/

I realize that cloth isn't going to last forever against chainmaille, so I thought to make the whole rig interchangeable. I'll be able to change the cloth layers when I want to change the outside or it gets too worn. Any thoughts? This is my first concept idea, and I am sure that there are better ones out there.

Edited by Pyreheart

You can always be extreme and learn how to knit.

Then buy a few spools of spectra and make reinforcments for the fabric.

I work alot with spectra making my compound bow strings myself.

Br

C

First thing that comes to my mind is no cloth lining on the inside of the hood. It WILL pull your hair. Also, are you planning on having the whole thing be a zip hoodie or a pull over? Keep in mind maille doesn't stretch like fabric so if you go with pullover your measurements will have to be more exact.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

Mdewaddic: It becomes a problem to access the chainmaille if I sandwich the hood between the inner and outer layers of cloth, so I designed the hood in the outer layer like a sock with a catch near the "toe" (it would be located near my forehead), so it can be housed there. It will still have cloth between me and it, but I'll be able to get at the chainmaille easier this way when I need to. I also intend to have it be a pull-over, so I'll be extra careful with my measurements. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Pyreheart