heckle

I remember this busier.

Could be because the aggregate "age" of the forum seems to be younger. In my just two years here I've seen a lot of the members that had been around for years stop popping up as often, while there are more and more new maillers joining. The total "pool of experience" might be less since there aren't as many people around that have been mailling for 5 or even 10+ years still participating here, so it's harder to have the same types of discussions. Heck, it could also be that with how rapidly mailling has taken off in the past few years there's already so much information both on this forum and MAIL, Chainmail Basket, Maillers Worldwide and the many other maille sites, so much more information is readily available that people don't have as many questions or things to discuss, because it's already been answered or discussed.

Almost everything chainmail has been discussed already.

I've seen so many people come and go through the years: here, at M.A.I.L., and TCB. I miss some of the old groups of people. I'm sure some of them still lurk occasionally, just never or rarely post. Then there are the people who come back in spurts and then vanish again for a few years at a time.

At least this forum is still busier than M.A.I.L.'s, which is unfortunate, but understandable.

it really is true, it's all been done.

i pop on to see what's being done, I try to help out the newbies because that's what was done when i was a noob, and i post new/interesting things when I can. but all in all, there's not a hell of a lot going on.

One also needs to take into account the time of year as well, many different forums on a variety of topics suffer at least some slow down between Oct. and Jan. normally picking back up a little bit afterwards. It likely is not the only cause of the slowdown but it is a contributing factor. People gearing up for the holidays, the holidays themselves and people recovering from the holidays, just seems to be a bad time of year for forums, I've witnessed it happen on many different types of broads.

Of course there are the other factors others have mentioned to take into account as well, those things sort of stack.

The only thing that is going to happen on that date here is a doomsday party. Then again my group of friends normally do such things on those "end of days" dates. None of us believe anything will happen but, if it does by some slim chance, at least we'll go out having fun.

Great... Now when does Haley's Comet crash? Let me guess, the 21st of December? XD

If anything like what the Mayans predict, we all won't be around to know about it. XD

Now, if you'll excuse me, I will be going back to creeping forums now...

I am still old school when it comes to forums and IRC. I try to hang on, but will eventually move over to more modern forms of social conversations.

I guess I need to check out the FB, G+, Twitter feeds of The RingLord.

I've been too busy to post as much as I did a few months back. Homeschooling a kid, trying to figure out curricula, taking care of house, family, etc...and then there's the maille that I'm so far behind on.

Many people stopped visiting the forum because of all the rules. There used to be many ongoing rigorous debates at any one time... Then discourse was shut down, to avoid anyone being offended. Now this forum is like many safety optimized settings, boring and sanatized.

Many people stopped visiting the forum because of all the rules. There used to be many ongoing rigorous debates at any one time... Then discourse was shut down, to avoid anyone being offended. Now this forum is like many safety optimized settings, boring and sanatized.

I have been a member of many forums (fora?) over the years and this is the only one I visit regularly because the discussions are pleasant and less divisive. I quit several forums where people were snarky, disrespectful, and attacking. When people attack each other rather than further the topic, these hateful "discussions" get in the way of any meaningful debate. I would prefer to use the word civilized rather than boring and sanitized to describe the forum here.

You changed the terms of my argument in order to prove your point. I didn't endorse attacking people or any such manner of mischief. And it might work out for some people that the forum is as civilized as you say, but the reality is, it's a dead forum relative to its past.

Edit: By civilized conversation, I think you mean a complete absence of conversation. Look at the dates on the front page of this forum.

Edited by ctsoth

This is actually one of the more active forums I have belonged to and one of the friendliest atmospheres. I am not really sure how long ago you were a member that it was busier but this one can be plenty busy at times. And I have been around for several years now and don't remember the institution of these rules and restrictions of which you speak...other then the above 18 one for the adult section but that one is pretty much self explanatory. could it perhaps be the time of year that has made it appear not quite so busy?

No, it's not just the time of year, although I'm sure it does contribute somewhat. The forum seemed to get a lot slower when it was redesigned a few years back. A lot of people I think preferred the older design (myself among them). Some of the older boards got combined which can make some threads get 'lost' among everything else resulting in fewer discussions. A lot of members have also left completely or, like me, do a lot more lurking then they used to.

Edited by Narrina

A lot of people were pretty disappointed when 'the purge' took place. There may have even been more than one "clean up". Can't rightly remember.

So much useful information was instantly lost.

Edited by Chainmailbasket_com

A lot of people were pretty disappointed when 'the purge' took place. There may have even been more than one "clean up". Can't rightly remember.

So much useful information was instantly lost.

Affirmitive!

Well, as an older member, one can only answer the same questions so many times before it stops being fun. So there is a lot of lurking going on, as well as people just getting bored and moving onto other hobbies.

You changed the terms of my argument in order to prove your point. I didn't endorse attacking people or any such manner of mischief. And it might work out for some people that the forum is as civilized as you say, but the reality is, it's a dead forum relative to its past.

Edit: By civilized conversation, I think you mean a complete absence of conversation. Look at the dates on the front page of this forum.

I apologize if I misinterpreted. I had just come off two forums full of incredibly confrontational people and I read that into "vigorous debate."

No, I don't mean "complete absence of conversation." The forum is a little slow at the moment, but a few months ago it was reasonably lively. Of course, I'm working two full-time jobs, so I probably couldn't keep up if it were super lively.

Just coming off a 2 1/2 month home project myself, and have been all but completely absent during that time myself, hardly even any lurking. Winter is more the time for me to sit at my desk and maille, or get caught up in the forums.

I'm not a particularly older member, been reading for several years but only contributing for a couple...but I still might echo Martin's sentiment. You start to see the same old questions over and over, and you'd almost rather respond with a link to those old conversations than take the time to type it all out again. And I'm ABSOLUTELY SURE I did the same thing when I started...if I couldn't quickly find a recent thread dealing with what I was looking for, I'd start a thread that had probably already been gone over a dozen times before. So, no offense meant to the noobs, cause I've been there.

My other problem is that the forum can be as addictive and time consuming as say, facebook, and I find I have to try and limit my time here as well as there, or my productivity takes a real digger. One must first "do" before one can talk about what one has "done".