madd-vyking

New Friend spam??

What is up with the new trend of being added as a friend by some seemingly randomly generated named person? It's happened three times in the past month, and I know, I can just change my settings, and I can disallow them as friends or whatever, but I've never had to monitor this before---I haven't ever had anybody breakin' down the door to be a friend (sniffle.... :confused: ....jk...)

Just curious, as I see there are several other folks included in these same random's friend lists, as well...

Yeah, I've gotten a few as well... maybe 2? Might have been three. I don't bother much with the friend thing all that much on forums, but it's an ok feature, I guess. Some people either use it to collect friends (and I know with me, these people have no posts at all in the forum) or to make spamming easier, likely, when they start with the pms. Time will tell, I guess.

I tell everyone I have *finger quotes* "friends" and that the only REAL friend is my dog. :P

Ditto... But she was surprised to hear it...

post-119-0-88919500-1352267252_thumb.jpg

I've got another one just this morning..."rdressesweflowe"...four new friends total in the last few weeks...all with forum join dates between 10/11 & 10/17----none with any posts...not understanding what one seeks to accomplish by doing this??

Well, I kinda figure they are spammer accounts doing this...and joining a forum to post spam I kinda get---I don't see how those kinds of adverts have any success, but I get why it is done...What I don't really understand is why someone would join a forum, then go make friends with a bunch of people, then disappear---what's the point?

Well, I kinda figure they are spammer accounts doing this...and joining a forum to post spam I kinda get---I don't see how those kinds of adverts have any success, but I get why it is done...What I don't really understand is why someone would join a forum, then go make friends with a bunch of people, then disappear---what's the point?

Simple. They now have a link to your email account. Not directly of course. But each spambot log's into a message board friends a few people mostly does nothing, and becomes an inactive user. 1-2 weeks months or even years later, a mass mailing goes out (Nigerian prince scam) or a nasty little piece of HTML that links in an email to a virus/trojan. Or even a lovely little script kiddie P.O.S. email -remember "I love you/love bug" Gotta build that list of emails etc and that is one of the ways.

Here's the trick - you have received a message from the ring lord forums and it reads..... Hey check out my stuff and a blue link Let me know what you think?

90% of us would open it ... I have. 3-4 times. And it was exactly what I expected. Someone asking for a critic of a piece,Or help on a design Etc. I also check links hard before clicking tho.

Remember the rule never open an email from someone you don't know. Even if its from somePLACE you do.

Btw if you do get one. Check the email here in messages before opening the email version. Much safer

Perfect advice, Euar. Yeah, so many people do just click that link, thinking it's gotta be safe. I'm guilty of clicking some links in my email depending on who they're from and how the email is worded (ie. I know the person actually wrote the email and added the link), but I NEVER click a link from my bank, Paypal, etc., especially if the email says anything about 'We have a message for you/problem with your account.'.

Course, I think I've got my account here set to only receive emails from admins, that's what I usually do. I know I'll see the PMs when I'm on.