Omnitus

Aluminium Residue

Hey all. I am pretty new to the site as a whole and just joined the forum itself. I just had a quick question about aluminium for someone who has more experience than myself. I bought some 18g aluminium wire from the local hardware store. I have never used aluminium till now. I have that and some AA rings I bought from this site. Saw it, 50ft for like $3 so I figured i'd give it a shot. The other half was playing with the spool of wire before I had done anything with it and she noticed it was leaving a grey residue all over her hands. Is this something that's normal or can it be removed/prevented so that if/when I make links out of this wire and in turn bracelets or anything it doesn't leave residue on the wearer? If so please enlighten me.

Others may have a different opinion but I find that aluminum will always turn you grey. Even if it has been polished to a high shine. I've had aluminum bracelets that I've worn forever and never seem to get away from the grey. Which is why I only use it for testing now and never for the final product. I use Stainless. Tumble wash it for a while and it's all shiny clean. No grey. This is just the plain aluminum or bright aluminum. Anodized doesn't have this problem.

IF you know what you're doing and can do it safely, aluminum can be acid etched (resulting in a light grey colour). I've never done it, but I've bought etched rings from TRL back when they had them: they didn't have problems with residue like regular or bright aluminum, but they seemed to be somewhat more susceptible to aluminum's white oxide.

The new Anodized Bright Silver Aluminium, has replaced bright aluminium in all my jewelry sizes. I still use Bright Aluminium in things like dicebags.

PlutoniumX, I've been wanting to do that but the price... I know why they're more expensive, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't quite do that yet. heheh

Maybe because I haven't been using them long, or maybe because I'm pretty much always mixing the bright aluminum with anodized colors, but I haven't had any problems with the bright aluminum leaving any residue. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I will say I usually only wear my bracelets for about 6 or 8 hours a day, so that might have something to do with it, too. I haven't used anything but the bright aluminum from here, though, nothing from the hardware store.

The new Anodized Bright Silver Aluminium, has replaced bright aluminium in all my jewelry sizes. I still use Bright Aluminium in things like dicebags.

Great idea! Even though a SS byz bracelet really isn't that heavy, I still get a complaint here and there from customers about the weight. I got away from BA because of the rub off. I didn't want people to complain about "cheap garbage" and the rub off is a good way to get those complaints. The bright silver aluminum is a genius way to keep the light aluminum and avoid the rub off. And the silver AA is still only half the price of the SS!

Thanks PlutoniumX! Wish I would've thought of that before I placed my last order.. ~Shakes head~ :)

When I use regular bright aluminium, I just usually use a toothbrush, some hot water and some dawn to clean it up. I really haven't had issues with rub off. I always use the ease care/cleaning as a selling point for Aluminium, as well as the vivid color palate and affordability. I'll happily quote someone the price to redo something in sterling and niobium and then they start to look harder at the BA and AA options.

Thanks for all the great info. While I am disappointed that the Aluminium I was so excited to get is pretty well useless, I can at least use it to practice new weaves and get used to smaller ringlets I guess.

If you make somthing and you wash your hands alot, I'm in heathcare, you don't notice the ruboff because you are constantly washing it off. I just make sure I also wash the bracket or ring that I'm wearing every one of the hundreads of times I wash.