Jon Daniels

Dyeing TRL's engineered plastic rings

I just dyed some of the white Delrin rings.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=219

I used a red fabric dye and got the results below - not really red but the dye took and does not wipe off. I also just tried blue which worked a bit better since light blue is still blue.

I really want to dye the clear polycarbonate but I need to mix Acetone with the dye and we're out of acetone right now...soon. anyone else dye plastic rings yet?

gallery_3_34_124858.jpg

The thing I'd worry about, if dying after weaving, would be an inconsistent dye or the dye not taking in all the little crevices. I still need to get some of the rings to play with. It sucks being broke. :(

i have not tried to dye them but have painted some for a jap 4-1 top that has been used for the last week by an exortic dancer i know. after 1 week niether she or i could find any spots were the paint had been damaged at all

will try to get pictures later this week.

Finally got acetone and dyed polycarbonate snap rings. As I'd hoped the polycarb stayed translucent!

gallery_3_34_76586.jpg

I started with a 25% acetone, 75% water solution (plus fabric dye) - the dye did not take.

I increased to about 50% acetone and got the above results in about 30 minutes.

My first attempt was with a closed ring. I left it for too long and the acetone softened the ring to the point where the springiness of the ring broke the ring. Might be ok for shorter dip times but I think its a good idea to only dye the rings in open unstressed configuration.

With both the Delrin and polycarb the color is not coming off. This is not a coating over the material - its a dye IN the surface of the material. Unless you remove the outer layer of plastic the color is there to stay.

I have dyed pretty much plastics in the past, best results with POM (Delrin). Ordinary fabric dye works well, parts can be cooked and the time you cook the parts in the color determines how much color the piece takes. How "dark" the color will be. Striped results were quite easy to achieve so I would color the rings first and weave after that. The color won't come off, the color goes relatively deep. POM doesn't get weak in this process. However I would be little cautious with the acetone coloring polycarbonate, acetone does have some effect on polycarbonates structure. 

For anyone interested I found this tutorial topic for dyeing plastics, including polycarbonate, without the use of acetone on the rings. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=452598 I haven't tried it out myself though. Although their site appears to be about paintballing and this particular section about customizing paintball equipment, the process they use should work just as well, if not maybe better for the rings.

Edited by damonmensch

I, for one, would LOVE to see TRL sell dyed "clear" scales. I'm working on a project with aluminum scales with an inlay of clear. Got the "bright" idea to put LED lights behind it. That led me to trying to find ways to color the clear scales. I'm looking for a nice deep red color and would rather not have to paint each scale. (I don't have an air-brush.) My experimentations are still in the earliest stages, so no results to report yet.