ShiningMistress

Chainmaille Newbie, looking for suggestions

I've recently become quite interested in making chainmaille jewelry after receiving some basic supplies for Christmas. In the last month, I have mastered a few simple weaves such as the byzantine, box, shaggy loops, and barrel.

I have since run out of weaves to attempt, because I'm working with one size of rings.. The rings I have now are anodized aluminum 18ga 3/16 ID.

So, my question is this. What ring sizes do everyone keep on hand? I have no idea where to start to expand this hobby into something I can truly enjoy every aspect of. Any and all hints and tips are greatly appreciated!

Right now I have (at a quick glance...):

24g 5/64,

22g 3/32 and 1/8,

20g 3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 3/16,

19g 1/8, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16,

18g 1/8, 5/32, 7/32, 1/4,

16g 3/16, 7/32,1/4, 5/16....

in at least 10 different materials....and I'm low on stock....

There's no telling what you might need...

I suggest you look up the weaves you want to try and get rings that fit the A.R of what your interested in.

I keep almost no rings on hand. But plenty of wire, and make what I want and need as I go.

I've found that with a few sizes, you can make a fair number of the more common jewellery weaves; with an AR of about 3.5 (18g 5/32" for example) you can do a nice Barrels, Byzantine, and Turkish Round. With ~4.2 (i.e. 18g 3/16") you can make Elfweave, Half-Persian 3-in-1, and it's a great size for Euro 4-1. An AR of 5.2-5 will let you do HP 4-1, Full Persian, Euro 6-1, Interwoven 4-1, and GSG nicely

I keep 3 sizes in all colors on hand at all times.  All anondized aluminum.  16 gauge 5/16 & 1/4, and 18 gauge 3/16.  Those are my go-to sizes.  They work best with most standard weaves.

And just like other's ahve said, I leared all my complex weaves from maille artisans international.  It is the BEST website I've ever found for weave tutorials.  I even have a tutorial up there for Helm chain the easy way.  Check it out!  :D

I got into this business by buying a basic jewelry kit from TRL and copying somethign i bought at ren faire.  After that, I was hooked.  I've been doing it for close to 15 years now.

16g 3/16, 5/16 and 1/4. 18g 3/16 and 5/32 . . .that's what I got right now though, really wanna expand my supply of sizes, mostly because I'm prone to just grabbing some rings and seeing what I can come out with.

and not all of us learned all our weaves at MAIL but they are good source, there some good books out there too.the advanced kits from TRl also come come with additional tutorials and a nice selection of sizes.  and as much as I would love to every size in every color to have in stock, it never fails that the ones I don't have are usually the ones I need.  if you go tot he Instructions page at TRL there are several links there to other tutorial sites too.

AA, every color in:

16g 3/8, 5/16, 1/4

18g 1/4, 3/16, 5/32

20g 5/32, 1/8, 3/32 (where available)

BA: 20g thru 14g, saw cut, whatever TRL offers, a few sizes in 12g

CU, BR, BZ: 18g, all sizes offered, 16g 5/16, 1/4, 7/32, 3/16; 20g various sizes but lots of tiny ones, 22g a few sizes

Ti: 18g 3/16 and 5/32 in a few colors, 20g 1/8 in a few colors

Ni: not much cuz it's hella $$$

Stainless: mostly 18g, but I don't work much in stainless

Rubber: 16g 1/4 in all colors offered, 18g 3/16 in many colors, 16g 5/16 in a few colors

small scales in every color available, copper, bronze, a few sterling; large scales in every color available

You can make Persian Dragonscale in 18g 3/16" if you have the newer shiny finish AA (the matte finish rings will work too, but it's difficult). HP3-1, E4-1, E4-1 diagonal, horizontal, circle; mix your weaves...E4-1 with HP3-1 edging...there are tons of things you can do with the rings you have. More sizes are fun, too!

I learned a lot from cgmaille, a bit from MAIL, some from Maillers Worldwide and YouTube. I also have found random tutorials on the web, on dA, etc.

Edited by bikepartjewelry

In AA, I have most colors in all sizes of 20g, 19g and 18g plus a few 16g 5/16.

In BA I have all sizes TRL sells (plus a few others) up to and including 18g, plus some 16g.

I have a tendency to try and graduate most weaves when I make earrings, and I like to make small and large items of most items. 

Makes for an awful lot of variations in my stock, but OTOH I don't have large amounts of any one type. ;-)

I tend to get rings to try a specific weave. Once I've done that weave to my satisfaction, I use MAIL's AR search tool to find other weaves that I can do. :) I've got quite a bit of 20g and 18g copper and BA, with a bit of bronze and stainless mixed in there. I'm also a beginner compared to a lot of people, though, and my collection is slowly growing.

I buy rings & wire depending on the project. right now I have 35lbs of 5356 aluminum wire and assorted rings.

There are a handful of good websites with very good free tutorials. Cgmaille.com being one I sugest for a lot of people starting out.

Often I make a list of projects ring sizes and volume and order rings about 4 months out.

Huh never thought about youtube.  The things you learn!  Im gonna have to check it out.  I tend to just do random chainmaille searches in google and bing to see what's out there.  I have gotten to the point where I can probably do something new by eye.  Unless its something complicated like 1/2 persian or some variation of dragonscale, whatnot.  sometimes I have to go back to my tutorial for 1/2 persion to get the beginning right :D  Even the veterans have to check from time to time.  :devil:

For myself I use galavanized steel in the following gauges and sizes:

14 ga 3/8, 1/2

16 ga 1/4, 3/8, 5/16

And also keep copper in varying gauges from 20-16 ranging from 1/16-1/4

For most of my projects I rely on GS 14 ga 3/8 and GS 16 ga 1/4.