Dwayne Miller

Anything in/near Ohio?

Just as title states. looking for a chainmail festival/other event.  I am looking to start selling some mail, but want to see what kind of market is in the area, and how many others are selling. I live near Akron, Ohio, but anywhere in Ohio/Western PA is fine.

Thanks to all,

Dwayne

Edited by Dwayne Miller

That would  be me, and I usually have to travel a bit, sometimes as far as West Virginia.  But there are craft shows and Cons and various other kinds of event , depends what you are looking for.  do you do jewelry or armor? I am from Wadsworth

Great Lakes Ren Fest, Pittsburgh Reniassance Festival, and Pensic War are the 3 nearest me. Great Lakes is ok, but a long drive for me and had health issues both times, so no good memories. Pittsburgh Ren Fest is my hangout. I go every year. Pensic is only 25 minutes from me, but I'm not an SCA member. Not sure how vendor setup is done there. PA Ren Fest is a bit of a haul, but its big, runs a long time, and gets great traffic from what I hear. Going this year for the first time since I finally have vacation time.

looked into the Great lakes one, that is the one that stretches the whole summer right?  you need to sign up for every, and have a permanent structure they approve to sell out of...and well there are a lot of rules, restrictions and it cost more them house payment, lol...not happening for me anytime soon.  There is a newer one in Michigan , started last year I think ,only 2 or 3 weekends.

Hey what about the one in Wilmington? I had friends that used to go to that one all the time. Not sure if it still goes on during midsummer to mid autumn. Might want to check it out?

how did I miss that one, lol, Thanks Mimic and I think I know the guy pictured on their website, :fish:

nope I have looked at that one, its another one of those who want your souls for the whole summer.

Edited by calisandra

how did I miss that one, lol, Thanks Mimic and I think I know the guy pictured on their website, :fish:

nope I have looked at that one, its another one of those who want your souls for the whole summer.

I can understand. I know there was another one but it has be years since I actually lived in Ohio. So those places might not even exist anymore.

.  There is a newer one in Michigan , started last year I think ,only 2 or 3 weekends.

I believe the event you are talking about is the Blackrock Medieval fest. It started up after the long running Silverleaf Faire closed down, It is 4 weekends long.

You are looking at about a 274 mile 4+ hour drive.

Have not been there myself as it just started, but my wife is on cast this year.

http://www.blackrockfest.com/

well next weekend we are heading to Detroit for a NERO event and CIncy events are often at least a 4 hour drive, so that isn't too bad a distance.  My husband has family in Michigan too, so sometimes we can stay with them if I do Michigan shows.

I'm on the west side of Cleveland (which, to be fair, is everything from Sandusky over) and I'm in a couple of craft shows each year. They come in a variety of costs and traffic patterns, but represent a lot less commitment than full fledged Ren Fairs. One vendor I've been staying with is the Avant Garde shows, which have both one-day and two-day events now and do a very good job at advertising. Craft shows like these are certainly overflowing with jewelry vendors (AG puts a cap on them, but its still something like 20% or 25%) but I think I've only ever seen one chainmailler other than myself, and her work is way different. They do 4 or six shows a year all over the Akron-Cleveland zone, and I only make it to two-ish.

There are also a couple other art markets and the like that you can do one-off weekends, or set up a tent and table at for the whole season.

IF you want to try this sort of crowd, and I don't promis that its always profitable, the local chain Pat Catans maintains a pretty fair list here:

http://patcatans.com/site/438/vipevents.aspx

which can give you enough fair warning to sign up for things.

-Kat

(yea yea, i know, resurecting a thread six months later... I only just got here.)

its ok its always nice to find someone else nearby. I just got invited to the Akron shows and to some wedding shows, I teased her with the promise of a chain and scale wedding dress, lol