Blind Maille

Go home ring, you're drunk!

Was weaving this morning and this happened. First time I've had a ring break on me, was closing it and it just went "Weaveing me in? Ha Ha, NO!" So that's how my day's starting out. Yea I know things like this happen sometimes, no big deal it was just one of those "Wait, what?" moments for me. Any funny stuff ever happen with anyone else while they're doing maille?

Ok so maybe this isn't all that funny to most of you who are likely use to such little things but me and one of my girlfriends got a good laugh out of this ring unexpectedly flipping me off and got me wondering what kinds of funny things happens with others.

post-17052-0-61309800-1360848553_thumb.jpg

The pliers I use have no teeth, so if I don't grip the ring right with the pliers, the rings go flying...  usually hitting my cell phone (I have a few nice scratches in the screen).  I swear, all I need to do is put my phone on the floor and it collects my BA rings for me.  XD

Gord

I still think the funniest was when my cat decided he wanted attention and climbed into my lap next to my box of micro rings and curious cat that he is stuck his nose in (into the section with the tiniest rings of course) and sneezed.  little bitty rings went flying everywhere...wanted to yell and him but was laughing to hard.

DBM: Well, at least you know where to look for them! Thankfully my phone has yet to suffer damage due to renegade rings, or any damage for that matter, feeling even a tiny scatch on something drives me up the wall!!

Calisandra: OK, that's pretty funny, had to be the smallest of the rings eh? Oi, pets can be something else. I bet that took you forever to clean up and can only imagine how many rings decided to make cat fur their new home.

what I  really hate is when I get one caught in the very middle bottom of my sock, they are so small the only way to get them out is to remove the sock but that first step on one hurts.

When I'm working with Stainless, my family makes sure to take cover. I shoot open rings at high speed arcoss the room all the time. The most upsetting part is that I usually find them later by stepping on them!

I've had plenty of rings break on me. Its the inconsistency in the metal, work hardening, chemical etch from anodizing can create a weeak spot too. At least it didn't fly into your face. I've had that and worse. When I wind stainless, I get whipped by the springback. Gotta wear safety glasses for that!

Calisandra: Rings in the shoes, I hate when that happens. Heck, ring anyplace underfoot sucks! I've dropped a ring, tried to feel around to find it, fail to find it, stand up, take one step and discover the ring the hard way, sucks when that happens!!

Bdinus: Stainless really flies that much? I have yet to mess with stainless rings, can only afford AA at this point but from my understanding that springback is a terror. I just hope they don't crack my normal glasses when I do start working with stainless, though one of my girlfriends has a pair of good safty goggles she uses at the range that I may highjack if I start having that much of an issue with flying stainless, since those are the only goggles that fit over my massive glasses (Ugh, all that size to the glasses and I can still only see about three feet with them, one foot without it being too bloody blurry) and I would rather not lose use of the expensive glasses!

Edited by Blind Maille

I've had a few rings break (always just as I'm closing them into the weave, and usually when it was a pain getting them in there in the first place!), and boy have I sent a few flying across the room. Hit my hubby the other day with one when we were sitting on the couch together. He looked at me and I just said 'Um, oops?'. Didn't find that ring till a few days later when I moved the coffee table to get at my slippers.

Thankfully the only issue I have with my cat (the other two ignore me when I'm working) is she wants to lay partially on my lap table when I'm working. She'll occasionally bat at rings on there, and sometimes the pliers if I put them down. Was working on the end of a piece, though, and she decided it was a great dangly toy! After pulling it out of my hands a few times, I tossed her off my 'lap'.

---"always just as I'm closing them into the weave, and usually when it was a pain getting them in there in the first place!"---

Same, I have yet to have one break before and I've killed a few others since that first one and Every. Fricking. Time. it waits until I'm going to close it. I think the rings plan this stuff, they're conspiring against us!

To a cat anything shiny and dangly is a toy, then again you likely know that quiiiiiiite well. Maybe you should make the kitty a chain maille ball with some bells on it and how that distracts her so you can work in peace, if you've not done so already XD.

---"always just as I'm closing them into the weave, and usually when it was a pain getting them in there in the first place!"---

Same, I have yet to have one break before and I've killed a few others since that first one and Every. Fricking. Time. it waits until I'm going to close it. I think the rings plan this stuff, they're conspiring against us!

To a cat anything shiny and dangly is a toy, then again you likely know that quiiiiiiite well. Maybe you should make the kitty a chain maille ball with some bells on it and how that distracts her so you can work in peace, if you've not done so already XD.

Done it. It has a tail made from a scrap of leather lace. Works quite well, too - our Aeryn is not very hunty, but she'll chase that thing quite far.

That must be amusing as hell for you to watch TwightBanana, though imagine the bells do get tiring at times, I know when Lucia and Yamato are going after their belled toys, as glad as I am that they're having fun all you can hear in the house is "DingdingdingdingdingDINGding."

We have two cats that 'yowl' when they're playing with soft foam balls.... Having something with bells might actually shut them up! (we also have three dogs, one of which LOVES squeak toys, and I love to give them to him. I worked as a dog trainer at a big pet store for 10 years... I'm immune to noisy toys). Don't know if any toy will distract her, though. She likes laying on my lap, partially under my lap desk while I'm working... and knowing her, she'd likely bring the toy up to play with it there. :rolleyes:

I make most of my maille sitting on my bed, which at the moment is the only real workplace I have, and my cat (who stays in my room with me all the time due to another person in the house being allergic) loves to rub his face on EVERYTHING he can, including my pliers while I'm trying to use them, he also likes to lay on the board I use as my work station, getting rings stuck in his fur, and then he'll get up and play with whatever piece I'm making while I'm still trying to weave it!!  I love my cat (he's 17), but sometimes, I wish I could put him somewhere (nice) and work in peace for 30 seconds...

At least it didn't fly into your face. I've had that and worse. When I wind stainless, I get whipped by the springback. Gotta wear safety glasses for that!

I hope this poster learned in these three years since this post to back off the tension by reverse-turning his mandrel about half a dozen turns to let off all that springiness.  And to use a feedblock system instead of holding onto the wire using a hand.  Hands-free feed is the thing you want.

And wearing your gogs while winding your own coils is just plain good practice.