KeybladeMasterKitty

Scale Maille Bra?

Okay so I already make chain maille bras/bikini tops but I am just so confused my scale maille ones. Can someone explain them to me in stupid people terms? I really wanna learn to make them!!!

Note: I'm pretty bad at weaving scales though, so confusing. @.@

for a basic down and dirty(non supportive) scale bikini top you make 2 diamonds of scales joined between the breasts and add straps at the sides and tops leaving the bottom point free like this, lol...for actual support you need contractions and other chain work, of which I am still figuring out that part.  I make mostly armor that covers more and is usually worn over real bras and/or other clothing :innocent:

550092_594418700575741_1722727238_n.jpg

I bought that one last month (instant download) and from reading it it looks pretty good. Custom fitting is covered for larger breasts needing support. Contractions are not covered, but putting together the bra with stretchy panels of euro is, like if it was a pattern of dense stretch fabric being sewn together. I guess scalemaille is not (usually) stretchy, so contractions will probably be covered in that tutorial. I will definitely be getting it. I know a lot about garment patternmaking but I've never made maille clothing. 

I bought that one last month (instant download) and from reading it it looks pretty good. Custom fitting is covered for larger breasts needing support. Contractions are not covered, but putting together the bra with stretchy panels of euro is, like if it was a pattern of dense stretch fabric being sewn together. I guess scalemaille is not (usually) stretchy, so contractions will probably be covered in that tutorial. I will definitely be getting it. I know a lot about garment patternmaking but I've never made maille clothing. 

Yep, the one you bought is the E4-1 bra, made with EPDM and metal rings. I've not run into needing contractions yet for that type of bra, but that's not to say it couldn't happen...I'm glad you brought that up, actually. It's something I want to consider a little more.

You are correct - scale maille is not stretchy, at least not for bras. It's a completely different way of weaving the cups.If I had to guess, the contractions in the scale bra would be akin to something like adding darts in fabric garments for a better fit....(but maybe not...I'm not an expert on fabric garments).

EDIT: yes, contractions are covered in the scale bra tutorial.

Edited by bikepartjewelry

psst we're just in the final stages of making a tutorial set with Bike Part Jewelry. It should be ready within a couple weeks. 

She made this one

http://www.theringlord.org/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/5603-scale-maille-bra-2/

That's totally how I want mine!!! I hope it will be done super fast!!!

I still believe it is possible to make a scale with stretch, it is on the list of things to do...somewhere down at about 12 I think, but I am still working on it.

I still believe it is possible to make a scale with stretch, it is on the list of things to do...somewhere down at about 12 I think, but I am still working on it.

Brainstorming: one cheat-y way would be to get the really high-AR skinny o-rings (can get them in black epdm from hardware wholesalers) and loop them around the scale holes as one would with regular ring weave, and secure each one with a small metal ring. V fiddly I imagine. I should order some o-rings and try it some day. Another would be (but probably way too loose) is to have a small rubber ring as middle link between two small metal rings. Another could be to have two metal rings, circling the front and the back hole of the scale, and somehow securely attach rubber rings from there (through the scale hole) as per scale weave joins so the metal rings are held in place. Extremely fiddly. Another which is probably the most obvious solution but least easiest to figure out, could be to make a base sheet of E4-1 metal/rubber, and then loop metal rings around them to secure scales to, in a way that doesn't span the rubber and eliminate the stretch. Or at least lets it stretch a bit before the metal links come up tight.

ETA: I figure long columns of scales with joined rubber links could also look pretty cool though probably more for bracelets than bras. Also, inspired by this thread I started making a scale bra (first piece of metal clothing EVER) with contractions last night! My eyes are slightly cross-eyed, and I'm only gonna have enough scales in one colour for one side, oh well! Really looking forward to the tutorial!

Also: Not chainmaille but knitting the scales is another way to get stretch. Pop a scale on the needle just after poking needle through yarn, I believe. On my list of things to try.

Edited by calyx

My brain hurts just trying to figure it out.

mine too , but I think I will start with the small scales for this one, using the metal/rubber chain mail for the bottom of the cups for support. 

I hope I can piggyback on this topic & be of interest to the OP, and that someone can offer opinions/advice...

So I made a scale bra cup the other night. I used contractions so it fits great and is very supportive. Leaving aside that it's unfinished at the bottom and is probably way too little coverage for my breasts (I think the small triangle looks better with small breasts which mine aren't), I'm unhappy with the way the contractions have made the scales look (in my subjective opinion) messy. Is there any way of getting around this? Can I have a well-fitting/supportive large-cup scale maille bra that doesn't look messy? I don't know if there's more than one way to contract but it's the join two adjacent scales in a row with a ring, then use another ring to hang a scale two rows down method. Currently feeling slightly disheartened...

213g10g.jpg

ETA: surely this photo is okay for under 18s? I hope!

Edited by calyx

Are those large scales?

Maybe you need to space out the contractions a little more. Seeing the back of the bra would be helpful.

Yep, they are. Thankyou! I decided that I had too many contractions, and I'd rely on the bottom being tight, with the natural expansion/shrinkage of the scales and a tight strap to pull things up more than just shaping with contractions (I'm more used to shaping inflexible fabric...). I've ripped out most of the contractions (ugh my partner's watching for labour signs any day now so that word is on my lips a lot) and decided to not put them right under the nipple level, but nearer the bottom where they are less visible. I'll post another piccy soon including the back once I've done that. Using large scales and 16g 5/16" rings. Feeling a bit more heartened now. :)

A good rule of thumb for contractions in large scales is that you need half as many as you do with small scales.

I'm sorry I'm about to sound totally freakin dumb, but what are contractions?

Where you remove a scale so the row below has one less than the corresponding row above.

Here's a pic lorenzo posted way back in the olden days illustrating that (the contraction is in the center of the pic, click to embiggen):

tn_gallery_15_35739.jpg

the bikini only has 4 contractions(per), and for the shape I am pretty sure I will still need those 4 even in the large scales, lol 

the bigger the breast, the more potential contractions...so I'm told. :D

I am new to maille and scale but I decided to dive in head first and make a scale top for my gf. I got the instructions that the ring lord just put up and I think they are a good place to start. What I have run into is that the model was made for a C or D cup and my gf has a B. I have gotten to the contractions of the first cup but I'm afraid to move much forward until I can make sure it's large enough. I'd hate to have to redo the contractions since I sit there for 5 mins making sure I'm on the right row. I guess I'm just trying to get the thread a bump and any comments or suggestions are welcome.

well in general a B cup is smaller then a C or D so if you take the measurements the tutorial says to and put in the 4 contractions where it says to you should be ok.  for a B cup the cups will generally be smaller and contractions a bit closer together but toi get the needed shape there would still need to be at least those 4 basic ones

the bigger the breast, the more potential contractions...so I'm told. :D

So ballpark does anyone perhaps know what I'd be looking at to make one for a DD cup?

currently trying to figure that out...well actually she is ummm, a bit( quite a bit) larger, I'll letyou know what I find out, mine is also going to have a support structure under the scales with Aluminum and EPDm rings since she needs the support too.