Bernice Daniels

List of 2 Months of New Stuff

Other materials yes - we're discussing options for harder materials. 

Its not simply "use a harder material" solution on a punched product - dies break and wear more and sometimes you even need a different die set for a harder material.

Just curious if it was even a thought, glad to hear it is, and I will keep my eyes open for it if and when it comes around.  one more question though... will you now be including a sample of the new shape in your scales sample bag?

Teaser post - we are setting up the die set for our Tiny Scales!

They are ~1/2" long. We will be starting slowly with the thinner frost colored AA strip - the same stuff used for the NASA scales. More colors will be added as we gain experience with the new die - this will take time (read weeks/months) We'll post as we make progress. 

(pls ignore the quality of scale in the pic they are pre-production samples from the die maker - not ones we made. The die wasn't aligned to our standard for these samples.)

Ok you can squeee now :D

10827881_10153020023652188_1162718287847

I think I would be equally excited about the micro scales, but after having spent the last 2 days just trying to work with the small scales and the split rings making a ~100 scale patch... I am not sure I have the patience for it, I guess i I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet, its my first piece, and I am sure using butted rings would be much different.  For a costume or something, or jewelry I am sure they would would work just fine with the butted rings.

Making scalemaille definitely speeds up with practice... people on here like Lorenzo and Calisandra can put it together like no one's business, so hang in there if you like the look of it, it will become intuitive after a while. Micro scales will mostly be used for small-scale projects like jewellery, it's true.

I kept telling myself I would never bother with the mini scales they are so darned cute though they become an obsession all their own. just keep at it and if you ever have questions just ask or hit us up on Facebook over in the Chain Mail Group. I have plans for a few more sets of scale armor for Barbie and Ken but I don;t think I will be doing anything too much bigger in the mini scales. I prefer the large scales for costuming and armor. Try using butted rings for a while with the small scales it is a different feel and less stressful,  I use them occasionally if someone asks or armor in small scales but it helps to get a feel for process with butted rings first.