bikepartjewelry

Chainmaille Barefoot Shoes

Interesting idea...http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/style/shoes/chainmail-shoes.asp and http://magento.gost-barefoots.com/?___store=en

I wear barefoot shoes, but I don't think maille shoes would be very comfy. These look to be made from maille sheets, like this http://mailletec.com/products/fabric/small-mesh-maille

. Anyone know who makes them?

I kind of wondered about the photo too, if the shoes were comfortable. It would be interesting to do a trial of them. I work on my feet probably 9 to 12 hrs a day in all kinds of conditions. If you find someone who does make them let me know. :D

These people sell them http://magento.gost-barefoots.com/?___store=en, just scroll down a bit when you get to the page.

I was curious if anyone here knows the person/people who makes them.

Do you already wear barefoot shoes? I've worn them for a year and love them. My feet hurt when I wear non-barefoot shoes now. I have numerous pairs...sandals, dressy shoes, 2 pairs of 5 finger shoes...love them all. :D

These people sell them http://magento.gost-barefoots.com/?___store=en, just scroll down a bit when you get to the page.

I was curious if anyone here knows the person/people who makes them.

Do you already wear barefoot shoes? I've worn them for a year and love them. My feet hurt when I wear non-barefoot shoes now. I have numerous pairs...sandals, dressy shoes, 2 pairs of 5 finger shoes...love them all. :D

I have a pair but I mainly use them for any sporty things I am brave enough to do and around the house. Sometimes it is just best to be bare. :D I don't like toe socks though. For some reason they think that everyone's toes are the same length.

I will look into getting the chainmaille ones to test out. Kind of curious :D

Lorenzo made a pretty comprehensive comment about chainmaille shoes when those have been brought up - not sure if here or on MA. His opinion was that they were likely infeasible for serious use based on his extensive prior experimentations.

Edited by calyx

Lorenzo made a pretty comprehensive comment about chainmaille shoes when those have been brought up - not sure if here or on MA. His opinion was that they were likely infeasible for serious use based on his extensive prior experimentations.

Thanks for the info. If you find the track can you post it. I would be interested in reading what he has said about them.

I have a pair but I mainly use them for any sporty things I am brave enough to do and around the house. Sometimes it is just best to be bare. :D I don't like toe socks though. For some reason they think that everyone's toes are the same length.

I will look into getting the chainmaille ones to test out. Kind of curious :D

I never liked toe socks, but the five finger vibram shoes are different. I do like going straight barefoot too...I think more people should. We rely so much on these gigantic soled shoes when our feet our perfectly adapted.

My other barefoot shoes are all Merrell brand.

I couldn't imagine running sprints in them...or jumping...or anything but sitting on a couch and staring at them. It's an interesting idea, though. I'd be more interested in using maille on already made shoes to replace ties and straps, or at least cover them. :)

I never liked toe socks, but the five finger vibram shoes are different. I do like going straight barefoot too...I think more people should. We rely so much on these gigantic soled shoes when our feet our perfectly adapted.

My other barefoot shoes are all Merrell brand.

I will have to check those out. I have the "cheapo" brand. Still typical of me. try the cheap ones first and then buy expensive ones because if I can hold up to the cheapo ones then I definitely can use the nicer ones. :P I am odd.

Not sure how much the "cheap" ones are, but I recently bought a pair of five fingers at REI for around $60. My other barefoot shoes were purchased online from places like 6pm.com and ...somewhere else I can't think of. I never pay full price...can't afford it!

Not sure how much the "cheap" ones are, but I recently bought a pair of five fingers at REI for around $60. My other barefoot shoes were purchased online from places like 6pm.com and ...somewhere else I can't think of. I never pay full price...can't afford it!

I paid about $30. I have seen them when they first came out and people were paying over 100 for them. Eww. 100 for anything but an electronic is TOO much!

paying 200 for shoes is fine if you're getting a product that warrants it.  something for casual use has no reason to be more than 50 bucks.  

as a runner, i can't see chainmaille being good for shoes at all.  you'd still have to wear a sock of some sort and i can see the maille obliterating the socks in short order.  if you tried actually going barefoot in them, sand or water would get in and your feet would be chewed all to hell.  you want shoes ventilated, but not so much so that they allow stuff into the shoe.  i've actually had to stop a run because a small amount of sand got into my kinvaras.  

these strike me as a novelty and nothing more

paying 200 for shoes is fine if you're getting a product that warrants it.  something for casual use has no reason to be more than 50 bucks.  

as a runner, i can't see chainmaille being good for shoes at all.  you'd still have to wear a sock of some sort and i can see the maille obliterating the socks in short order.  if you tried actually going barefoot in them, sand or water would get in and your feet would be chewed all to hell.  you want shoes ventilated, but not so much so that they allow stuff into the shoe.  i've actually had to stop a run because a small amount of sand got into my kinvaras.  

these strike me as a novelty and nothing more

la. Or the s&m sort. Depends on your tolerance of pain. I would still try them out. :P

la. Or the s&m sort. Depends on your tolerance of pain. I would still try them out. :P

LOL. I like a little pain, but foot pain definitely isn't my thing. :P

Now, if I were going shark hunting...

Heheh, that was more toward mimic because they asked about the other thread after you posted. ;)  It always just cracks me up when people ask about other threads instead of searching for them.

Heheh, that was more toward mimic because they asked about the other thread after you posted. ;)  It always just cracks me up when people ask about other threads instead of searching for them.

I know. I don't search for them because you may have known exactly where it was. Why search when you know the answer? To me that is like paying the middleman twice. um no thanks.

LOL. I like a little pain, but foot pain definitely isn't my thing. :P

Now, if I were going shark hunting...

pain is pain. *shrugs* to each is their own. tolerance is the same.

I think that the "PaleoBarefoots" manufacturer is supposed to be a secret but send me a PM and I'll let you in on it.

Just to be clear about my previous post, I don't think these shoes are a bad idea, they're just very limited in application. In the right circumstances they can be perfectly acceptable as footwear.

if you wanna run barefoot, run barefoot.  if you wanna wear goofy shoes, wear goofy shoes.  just don't wrap your feet in steel and try to run in them.  you're entering a world of pain.

the only real use might be somewhere like on the beach, shallow water or sand dunes, where one expects some rocks or broken glass. however it will not protect against thin objects like thorns or needles.or heat.

so, they are pretty much useless.