Pharlax

Weave for chainmail ball?

I've been thinking about making a chainmail ball. Thought I'd use 8 in 2 pattern to give it strength but it's just not holding up.

I'm using rings with 8mm diameter and 0.9mm thickness, I guess this could be the problem?

Has anyone done this before and can help?

T'anks

As far as I can tell the ring material is some kind of metal? Probabably aluminium from the weight.

Unless you meant material for what's inside the ball, i'm trying to do it with air, hence the structural problems. I'm not fussed about it being totally rigid but all my attempts have, literally, fallen flat.

And I just want it as a plaything really, might chuck it about a little but it'll probably just sit on my desk.

Oh my, your attempts will fall flat unless you use a very dense weave. I don't know anything about structural maille but I do know that weave you've used in that ring size will be flexible, nay, extremely airy, as that is a very high aspect ratio, doubled notwithstanding. Maybe you want to look at http://cmb.lotos.ca/weaves.html in the "Structural AR" section, as those weaves done in those aspect ratios will be stiff. I don't even know if you can make a self-supporting ball - I suppose so.

Thanks that's pretty helpfull. :)

I've got some rings with 2.2 AR coming in the post so I might give it a bash with those. Hopefully I'll get farther than my current sad little piles of rings that I've managed so far.

one option is to build a more solid shape, Japanese J4in2 cubes work out and there are a few youtube tutorials to get you started.

Most of the balls I have done get built around cloth scraps or filled with pony beads for kickbags.