Lysenis

Your jumpring making rigs

So I have the basic tools for making jumprings (saw, mandrels, etc) what I dont know is a more efficient way to saw the rings (without getting into Dremels and arbors).

So the question I pose to you all is;

Show me your setup on how you make your rings.

For me I use a wodden dowel after making the rings and just hold the dowel in hand as I slowly saw away. I have seen people use wooden wedges but I have not seen a vid or multiple pictures said setup. (it is how I learn and put into action)

A more efficient way to do what we do? .. Dremels, Arbors, Cutting rigs etc .. hand done, your there at the top end.

I use a drill, dowel, a pair of snips, then my cutting rig <cost about $150 for the rig including blade> in that order.

I use a jewlers saw at shows and for small rings,I took a block of material and cut a few V grooves into it with a router and C clamp it to my table.

Wood, plastics such as UHMW or HDPE work well, rubber hockey pucks also work but you need a very sharp bit and a way to clamp puck so it won't turn about as you cut.

The depth of the V is a bit shallower for small rings and a little deeper/wider for larger coils.

I also use large catch bucket to collect the rings so they don't wander about on the floor.

For soft materials like Al/Ag/Cu I use jewelers saw. I use a padded vice, attach it to my desk, start a movie or an audiobook on my PC, and time just passes by...

With proper lubrication it yields 200 rings until blade is useless or breaks. An average movie yields me around 500 rings.

For hard steel/brass I use steelfixers cutters, 2-3 rings per cut.

I bought a decent modellers table electric saw recently and I`m negotiating with circular saws manufacturer to order someting for Al/Ag cutting. Machine is really small and it`ll suffice for small coils I`m working with.