ShiningMistress

Looking for Display Advice

I have my first show coming up in September, so I am busy making enough jewelry and other odds and ends to sell, and I've come up with two questions.

• What sells best? Bracelets, earrings, necklaces, something totally different?

• How do you display your work? If anyone would be willing to share photos of their displays, it would be very much appreciated.

Any other hints and tips would be extremely helpful!

bracelets are my best seller, followed by earring and necklaces.  for displays, think vertical. 179921_649494165068194_1568560959_n.jpgthe wire displays are shelves from Home Depot, inexpensive and they come in various sizes,  I even have taller ones that can be used on the ground.  I have another tabletop one for my earrings, I have also seen people use shutters and peg board

bracelets are my best seller, followed by earring and necklaces.  for displays, think vertical. 179921_649494165068194_1568560959_n.jpgthe wire displays are shelves from Home Depot, inexpensive and they come in various sizes,  I even have taller ones that can be used on the ground.  I have another tabletop one for my earrings, I have also seen people use shutters and peg board

Wow where is your display located in Ohio?

this was my display for my Heart Walk Fundraiser, it changes every time I set up depending on how much room or how many tables I have. this was at Medina Hospital.

this was my display for my Heart Walk Fundraiser, it changes every time I set up depending on how much room or how many tables I have. this was at Medina Hospital.

I did not know if you had a specific store you placed your work in. I know when I lived in Ohio I had a friend that ran an aromatherapy shop in the Short North in Columbus and I was allowed to display my jewelry. Also she wore the pieces too. So I was grateful to both.

I find it helpful to stage my tables and display in the basement, usually starting a few weeks from the show.

Budget items seam to sell best for me.

If I can keep it under dinner out prices I get a lot more impulse buys.

Don't forget a large mirror and good lighting, it helps a bunch with sales.

Don't forget the "WOW" piece either. Something you made which you knew full well would never sell but you made anyways.

My friend has a silver piece on show he made for his mother. Its called "The Drunk Buffet". Not buffet as in 'all you can eat', but Buffet as in 'The only way this would ever sell is if Warren Buffet stumbled into my booth drunk off his ass'

For me as well, bracelets sell best. And adding height to your display is a good way to sell things as well.

Another thing that attracts customers is to offer something for them to handle. A bowl of wrapped marbles, an invitingly placed length of chain, a tub of loose rings - something they can grab. It makes them stop and fondle, which gives you a chance to offer your sales pitch.

I put a selection of my stretchy bracelets (made with rubber rings and AA) in a bin near the front of my table and people seem to enjoy handling those and looking at everything else at the same time.